Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If we're moving on to DSP then we're going to have to fully transition to 2.5 anyway. Not to mention the extra available RAM.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm certain I'm on *hax 2.5 (as I can go into sleep mode just fine), but the latest release is nagging me to get the latest exploit.

Real_Redwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It means to reinstall with the latest installer. It will also mean retroarch dosen‘t want to support *hax 2.1 anymore.

Greeeeeeat, now I have to go reinstall ironhax again. My only option either OoT3Dhax, since I got it at retail in 2012ish, or themehax but at worst it's only a minor inconvenience. I do feel bad for the people who don't really have an easy way of updating though.

Last edited by Real_Redwolf,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greeeeeeat, now I have to go reinstall ironhax again. My only option either OoT3Dhax, since I got it at retail in 2012ish, or themehax but at worst it's only a minor inconvenience. I do feel bad for the people who don't really have an easy way of updating though.
You can run the IronHax installer from an older version of IronHax.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Start of the 1st post says you need the latest payload, and gives the link to starter.zip(copy on your SD, run ironfall hax install or theme menu hax installer), I'm not sur what more we can do for you guys, honestly.

Reactions: LiuAnshan

Sans

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
*READ THIS AREA BEFORE POSTING AND ALWAYS POST YOUR CONFIG : old or new3DS, firmware, 3dsx or cia/.3ds gateway roms*

This thread is about nightly builds or alpha version of RetroArch, it's aim is to report bugs to the devs because of the multiple way homebrew is available on the 3DS.
('UPDATE YOUR PAYLOAD' ERROR MEANS YOU NEED TODAY'S VERSION OF SMEA'S HACK, GET THE STARTER.ZIP BELOW AND REINSTALL IRONHAX OF THEME MENU FROM THE HOEBREW MENU)

We asume that you have prior knowledge about how to run homebrew on your system (check your 3DS firmware in settings, top screen):

- fw 9.2 and under : you probably want to use a Custom Firmware (other links 1, 2) and cia builds (or .3ds rom builds if you have a Gateway linker)
- fw 9.3 and up : you want to use .3dsx builds, and the latest smealum's hax by using his up to date starter kit and one of the many entry points listed there (Tutorial))

PLEASE CHECK THE LIBRETRO WIKI, IT ANSWERS MOST OF YOUR QUESTIONS.

Useful links and troubleshooting and tips at the end :)

We would like to keep discussion here as friendly as possible, and if you think you can contribute in any constructive way, be it for the the devs, about the info in that 1st post, or in any way you can, we encourage you to do so :)

You read and agreed to the forum Terms of Service : don't ask for roms or bios, you should be able to dump your own yourself with solutions like those :

http://www.retrode.org/ http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=158974.0
(or find them somewhere yourself, and make sure they're good dumps from the right romset)

CHECK YOUR ROMS ON RETROARCH PC WITH THE SAME CORE BEFORE ASKING FOR SUPPORT HERE (ESPECIALLY WITH MAME 2000/2003, FBA)

EMUS ARE ALREADY RUNNING AT 807MHZ ON NEW 3DS SINCE BEFORE HANS, HANS WONT HELP MORE WITH THAT.

Having sufficient prior knowledge about the actual system you're trying to emulate would help, helping with this isn't the aim of this thread ;) (I'm sure you can find those answers elsewhere, be it google or youtube, MAME/FBA forums, etc)

(if you want to run IPS patched/hacked/translated roms, please also try them on RetroArch on PC/Mac, since the 3DS doesn't provide/can't run the most accurate emulation cores)

Latest Nightly Builds: LINK (Changelog Below)

Go here for the answers to most of your issues: LINK (LibRetro Wiki)

To access the in-game menu, touch the lower part of the lower touch screen.

To turn off the lower screen, touch the upper part of the lower screen.
(you can also turn off verbosity, with is on by default with nightly builds)

NEW! CATSFC SNES Emulator on Ironhax/*hax 2.5 build, firmware 10.1U

Best core compatibility for your system: *Subject to change with updates
"If you're using .3dsx cores, support will only be provided on 2.5 hax or latest."

As you know the specs on the different systems (old 3ds, 2ds and new 3ds) are quite different, so this results in some cores running better than others. Below is a list of which cores are best suited for your system to help you obtain the best gaming experience possible.

3DSX is confirmed working on *Hax 2.5 (Includes Ironhax & Browserhax) on the latest firmwares.

CIA is confirmed working on firmware 9.2 and below. ON EMUNAND ONLY
Note:
Users on 9.2 and under, especially with o3ds, with big speed issues (especially on GBA) should just switch to rom injection instead of RetroArch.
Link to thread is below.

3DS Rom builds are confirmed working on firmware 9.2 and below WITH GATEWAY
-I WOULD RECOMMEND EXTRACTING THE .3DS ROMS FROM YOUR EXTRACTION SOFTWARE TO YOUR SDCARD (NO DRAG&DROP) OR THIS COULD LEAD TO FRAGMENTION ERRORS (and for the love of god don't defrag an SDCard if you want it to have a good lifespan)-
(SKY3DS WILL NEVER SUPPORT THOSE ON ITS OWN)
. (PERFORMANCE IS THE SAME AS CIA)

Key:
*: 60FPS or around full playable compatibility
-: Playable or struggles with compatiblity
x: Not playable at all, not enough frames

Old 3DS: *If your running on firmware 9.2 or below you want to use the .cia versions of the following due to kernel hax, otherwise use .3dsx
  • Fceumm (NES emulator)*
  • Gambatte (GB/GBC emulator)*
  • Quicknes (NES emulator)*
  • Catsfc (SNES emulator)x (use latest BlargSnes instead (yes, it's compatible with 2.5Hax))
  • *pcsx (PS1 emulator, .cia is needed for this one)x (unless you use the .cia)
  • *fb alpha cps1 (Capcom Playsystem 1 emulator)-
  • *fb alpha cps2 (Capcom Playsystem 2 emulator)-
  • *fb_alpha_neo_libretro (NeoGeo AES/MVS (not CD) emulator)-
THIS MEANS FBA CORES DO NOT SUPPORT OTHER SYSTEMS THAN CPS1/CPS2/NEO GEO MVS AT THE MOMENT
  • gpsp (GBA emulator)-
  • mgba (GBA emulator)-
  • mednafen pce (PC Engine TurboGrafx16 emulator)*
  • Genesis plus px (Sega Genesis emulator)*
  • nxengine (Cave Story)* (run a .exe)
  • mednafen wswan (Wonderswan emulator)*
  • mednafen vb (Virtual Boy, .cia is needed for this one)x
  • fmsx (FMSX PC emulator)* (thanks Daxtsu for the port)
  • 2048 (2048 numbers game)*
New 3DS: *If your running on firmware 9.2 or below you want to use the .cia versions of the following due to kernel hax, otherwise use .3dsx and you should be fine on N3DS besides pcsx (hopefully for now). Also most of the emulators above will work also.
  • Nestopia (NES emulator)*
  • Catsfc (SNES emulator) (most games are fullspeed, unless you try chipset specific games) *
  • *Catsfc Plus (SNES emulator)-
  • snes9x (SNES emulator)-
  • *fb alpha cps1 (Capcom Playsystem 1 emulator)*
  • *fb alpha cps2 (Capcom Playsystem 2 emulator)*
  • *fb_alpha_neo_libretro (NeoGeo AES/MVS (not CD) emulator)* (try running clones/bootlegs for the biggest roms, like kf2K3bla for KOF2003) thanks @wangtang32000 and @duwen
THIS MEANS FBA CORES DO NOT SUPPORT OTHER SYSTEMS THAN CPS1/CPS2/NEO GEO MVS AT THE MOMENT
  • gpsp (GBA emulator)*
  • mgba (GBA emulator)-
  • *pcsx (PS1 emulator, .cia is needed for this one)x (unless you use the .cia)
    • (you can get near full speed with cia version on new 3DS, by disabling Audio/video synch (Settings>Audio>Audio Sync Enable OFF and setting sound resampler (Settings>Audio) to "Nearest") (DONT FORGET TO SET IT BACK TO NORMAL AFTERWARDS SINCE RETROARCH CONFIG IS SHARED ACROSS CORES FOR NOW)
  • mednafen pce (TurboGrafx16 emulator)*
  • Genesis plus px (Sega Genesis emulator)*
  • nxengine (Cave Story)* (run a .exe)
  • mednafen wswan (Wonderswan emulator)*
  • mednafen vb (Virtual Boy, .cia is needed for this one)x
  • fmsx (FMSX PC emulator)* (thanks @daxtsu for the port)
  • 2048 (2048 numbers game)*
*Catsfc Plus has better sound quality but at the cost of performance
*PCSX rearmed DOES NOT SUPPORT .iso only bin, cue, img, mdf, pbp, toc, cbn, m3u

*FBA Roms can take several minutes to load, so be patient. If you get an error talking about ram burn that means the rom will not load on your system due to the size being too big. Expected ROMSET should be v0.2.97.36, if its not working you either have a bad rom or its from the wrong set.

Cores that require BIOS: (need to be the right file, with the right name, at the right place)
Gpsp - Location retroarch/cores/system

• gba_bios.bin (16384 bytes large, MD5 sum: a860e8c0b6d573d191e4ec7db1b1e4f6) (IT'S EASY TO FIND A FAULTY BIOS, SO PLEASE CHECK)
PCSX - Location retroarch/cores/system
  • scph5500.bin (MD5 sum: 8dd7d5296a650fac7319bce665a6a53c)
  • scph5501.bin (MD5 sum: 490f666e1afb15b7362b406ed1cea246)
  • scph5502.bin (MD5 sum: 32736f17079d0b2b7024407c39bd3050)
(Disc switching is supported (Quick Menu>Core Disc Options> Disc Index))

Sega CD - Location retroarch/cores/system
  • bios_CD_E.bin (MegaCD EU BIOS)
  • bios_CD_U.bin (SegaCD US BIOS)
  • bios_CD_J.bin (MegaCD JP BIOS)
(USE F-U-L-L CD images for this emu, no external wav/mp3/flac/ape music track)

PC Engine - Location retroarch/cores/system
  • syscard3.pce (PCE-CD BIOS)
(USE F-U-L-L CD images for this emu, no external wav/mp3/flac/ape music track)

NeoGeo - Location : next to your roms
(compatible with unibios 3.1 : Core Options>NeoGeo UniBIOS Enabled)
  • neogeo.zip
(Side note : make sure you understand the concept of romset version and clones or child/parent rom system, clone or child roms are usually very small roms, since they contain only differential code from the main/parent rom this applies for other region of the rom or revisions (Street Fighter 2 comes to mind) for example meaning : YOU NEED THE MAIN ROM NEXT TO THE "SMALL" ONE)

MSX - Download Here, Location retroarch/cores/system
  • MSX.ROM (MSX BIOS)
  • MSX2.ROM (MSX2 BIOS)
  • MSX2EXT.ROM (MSX2 ExtROM)
  • MSX2P.ROM (MSX2+ BIOS)
  • MSX2PEXT.ROM (MSX2+ExtROM)
(You also probably want to set your system to MSX2/MSX2+ :Quick Menu>Core Settings> Machine> MSX2 or MSX2+.Thanks @SeongGino )

Troubleshooting and tips :

- To run MAME or Full FBA, you will have to create a XML file so homebrew can run the cores under another application such as youtube or monster hunter demo, for ram purposes. Heres the link to the post for how it should be written. LINK (thanks @vague-rant)

- Delete your sd:/retroarch/retroarch.cfg if things aren't working or your controls break (thanks @Rj.MoG)

- Those are nightly, bleeding edge builds, compiled every night at an arbitrary time so newer build might not always or might even be broken so don't be afraid to rollback to an older version if a newer one is broken (thanks @Rj.MoG )

- To use the circle pad/analog pad as Dpad :
General menu > Settings > Input > Input User 1 Binds > User 1 Analog To Digital Type > select "Left analog" or tart a game and then open the emulator menu, go to Core Input Options and change "User 1 Analog to Digital Type" to Left Analog. (Thanks @RegularMoron and @daxtsu )

- To map extra buttons to RetroArch functions : (zL/zR to Save/Load save state or fast forward hold/fast forward/toggle/pause/frame advance on L/R/U/D on C-Stick :
General menu > Settings > Input > input hot key bins > load state (press a button) etc

- For now RetroArch config is shared between core. Save/Load config is broken. just make changes and quit RetroArch (and press start), relaunch RetroArch, your changes should be saved.
(An alternative would be using Configuration Overrides) (thanks @Radius4 )

- If you're using smea's HAX/.3dsx builds, you can hold L+R+Down+B to go back to the Homebrew Launcher, sometimes even if RetroArch crashed.
Important Links:
Libretro Wiki: LINK
Aliaspider Activity: LINK
Retroarch Changelog: LINK
FBA Master Romlist: LINK
Homebrew Launcher: LINK
For 9.2 users : AGB_Firm Signature Patcher + GBA ROM Converter (GBA ROM Injection) : LINK (GBA run natively this way, so full speed, but no RetroArch bells and whistles)
Original Thread: LINK
3DS Nightly Discussion Thread over at the Libretro board : LINK

I would like to thank @aliaspider and the whole RetroArch team for their hard work !!
Please show some gratitude here or on their board, or even consider donating a bit, once they open the PayPal option to do so :)
Its To Red HELP!!!!!

Reactions: Real_Redwolf

Allegrian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have ninjhax 2.5 and with gbasp (core included) I can play games like Metroid, castlevania, yoshi's island... at 60 fps, but games like Final Fantasy V, FF Tactics and advance wars run horribly. Is there a way to fix that?

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
try mgba ?

what's your setup ? new 3DS ? cia or 3dsx ? (if you use can cia (9.2fw or under) you might as well use AGB rom injection)

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Seems like those games are more demending somehow.. also some games make heveir use of speedhacks (?) (I know gpsp on psp relied on it a lot, gpsp on 3ds probably does too, but I not sure)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Arne214 @ Arne214: ah ok