Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As retroarch is troubled with aroma cfw, perhaps a standalone build of pcsx_rearmed may be a more suitable target.
Aroma isn't troubled, its just not finished, I'm sure the current issues with it can be sorted.
The only way we could get a standalone Emulator would be if someone were to port WiiSX to WiiU, that's unlikely.
We're better off (and would be easier) fixing this Core and port it to Aroma once its finished.
The only thing that would need to be modified is the RWX locations? currently Tiramisu uses very specific locations for Dynarec, with Aroma those specific locations wouldn't be needed, so it could actually be easier on Aroma.. once Retroarch Aroma is finished OC. :)

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using the Wii u port again lately, and although there's still a lot of untapped potential, it's amazing how far it's come since a few years ago. Most of the cores load super fast now and it's just overall a comfy experience.

My only current issue is that after switching to Tiramisu, I have to launch the forwarder twice to get RetroArch to load. I'm sure this is expected somehow, but does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? I know it's all still a work in progress but I'm just curious.

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using the Wii u port again lately, and although there's still a lot of untapped potential, it's amazing how far it's come since a few years ago. Most of the cores load super fast now and it's just overall a comfy experience.

My only current issue is that after switching to Tiramisu, I have to launch the forwarder twice to get RetroArch to load. I'm sure this is expected somehow, but does anyone have an explanation for this behavior? I know it's all still a work in progress but I'm just curious.
Aha!! yes same. I thought it was just me, I'm not sure when this bug crept in but its really annoying :P I assume it came with one of the Tiramisu updates but I'm not certain.
Post automatically merged:

@ChiefReginod renaming the 50_hbl_installer.rpx file in SD:\wiiu\environments\tiramisu\modules\setup fixes the Retroarch forwarder 2 boot issue ;)
There was an issue where launching forwarders with that file untouched would stop them from booting but I thought it was fixed awhile ago, guess its not 100% fixed yet :P

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: ChiefReginod

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aha!! yes same. I thought it was just me, I'm not sure when this bug crept in but its really annoying :P I assume it came with one of the Tiramisu updates but I'm not certain.

@ChiefReginod renaming the 50_hbl_installer.rpx file in SD:\wiiu\environments\tiramisu\modules\setup fixes the Retroarch forwarder 2 boot issue ;)
There was an issue where launching forwarders with that file untouched would stop them from booting but I thought it was fixed awhile ago, guess its not 100% fixed yet :P
Thanks for the tip. That worked! It starts up straight away now.

I just added a ".bak" to the end of the filename. It still seems to have issues if you only rename the first part of the filename. All good now, though.

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey all its been awhile :)
Things seemed to have gone quiet here again :( I think the main issue is there's not much more that can be done except for Retroarch bug fixes, we don't see much WiiU specific updates new features, anymore, it can be helped, we don't have that many WiiU devs.

Then there's the old things stopping further progress, lack of WiiU GL which would help alot in terms of speed in 3D rendered Cores and the lack of Dynarec support for the handful of Core that use them, this is where we stand as of now:
Picodrive - Dynarec supported on WiiU!!! :D
Dosbox - Dynarec unsupported on WiiU :(
DS - Dynarec unsupported - needs GL on WiiU :(
N64 - Dynarec unsupported -needs GL on WiiU :(
Saturn - Dynarec unsupported - needs GL on WiiU :(
Dreamcast - dynarec unsupported - needs GL on WiiU :(
PSP - Dynarec unsupporrted - needs GL on WiiU :(
Open Lara - needs GL on WiiU :(
Quake 1/2/3 - needs GL on WiiU :(
PS2 (unlikely to run on WiiU) - dynarec unsupported - needs GL on WiiU :(
3DS (unlikely to run on WiiU) - dynarec unsupported - needs GL on WiiU :(

BUT!!

That doesn't mean things haven't been happening in the background ;)
Since last year work has been going on to bring a long awaited and much sought-after Core to the WiiU.
Thanks to the work of Quarky and Lightrec developer Zcrc we now have a :toot:WIP Lightrec enabled Pcsxrearmed Core:toot:
It's still WIP because there's currently a bug where the emulation speed isn't 100% in all games, its seems like the bug is with the WiiU Retroarch port itself, since the (Lightrec enabled) WiiSX port on OG Wii runs the same games fine (on Wii Clocks even!) so still WIP :P
I have no doubt that once this bug is finally fixed the WiiU Pcsxreamed Core will absolutely smoke the Wii WiiSX emulator in terms of performance also I should point out the only reason the Wii Emulators got updated with Lightrec so fast is because all the leg work was done on the WiU months before lol :P
BTW I'm not crapping on the new updated Wii PS1 Emulators I promise, they are great and other choices are awesome, its just native WiiU Emulator's are what we all want here right? :P

What's lacking is developers with the ability to profile the Pcsxreamed Core to see where the issue lies.
So if there's any WiiU devs popping their head in and has the ability to do this it would be massively helpful!!!
So as of right now the WiiSX emulator IS faster in some games than the WiiU Pcsxrearmed Core, but that doesn't mean the WiiU core is useless..
Since it's a Retroarch Core you get all the benefits of Retroarch:
Cheats
Game Covers/Thumbnails
FF mapped to a Button
No Filtering :P (tho that has been removed in Wiistation recently I think) lol
Overlay support
CHD support

Ear warning!!! (all the audio issues you hear in the vid below have since been fixed!!!)

So yea, that's where we currently are, I wish i could have posted a !00% fullspeed PS1 Core since its something we've been hoping for for a long time but although it may not 100% it is pretty damn good and 80-90% of games are fully playable imo and fro the games that are below fullspeed you can always play on WiiSX until this bug is fixed ;)

There are things you can do to get some extra fps out of the games that don't quite reach fullspeed:
You can disable Vsync in the Retroarch Video Settings. (helps for some games)
You can disable Dithering in the In-Game Options. (especially helps in the Crash Bandicoot games)
Also when you finished playing a game CLOSE CONTENT dont just chain load your games otherwise you may get a Console Crash :^)

There's still a PR pending before we get the Core on the Buildbot. but once that's done you can grab it from the Core Updater ;)

Thanks again to Quarky(theawesome) ;) and Zcrc, without them this wouldn't have happened at all :)

Last thing to do is post the WIP Core itself.. Make sure to put your PS1 Bios files in the System Folder ;)

but not everything needs to be retroarch like the psp emulator has a beta of it for the wiiu I think you can take it as a base.
and the n64 emulator for the wii64 or the project64 version for the pc with those plugins that it has, i think it would be possible to put it on the wiiu a vdd and the only idea i can suggest is to see how the others are made inside like os that already exist in the case of ppspp
and the dreamcast could be made that nulldc 1.0.0 and old but it is very light and just an idea
the sega saturn has an emulator of it on the wii however it is very beta but i think maybe it will serve as a base.

there is another thing pcsx rearmed on wiiu works several games that wiistation doesn't work for example inuyasha a feudal fairy tale runs well :) while on wiistation it doesn't even start the fight another thing too and that on pcsx you can use several controls to play even the pro controler being the player 2 and the gamepad being the player 1 and that is very good for all that the pcsx of the wiiu is very worth it really good.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
but not everything needs to be retroarch like the psp emulator has a beta of it for the wiiu I think you can take it as a base.
and the n64 emulator for the wii64 or the project64 version for the pc with those plugins that it has, i think it would be possible to put it on the wiiu a vdd and the only idea i can suggest is to see how the others are made inside like os that already exist in the case of ppspp
and the dreamcast could be made that nulldc 1.0.0 and old but it is very light and just an idea
the sega saturn has an emulator of it on the wii however it is very beta but i think maybe it will serve as a base.

there is another thing pcsx rearmed on wiiu works several games that wiistation doesn't work for example inuyasha a feudal fairy tale runs well :) while on wiistation it doesn't even start the fight another thing too and that on pcsx you can use several controls to play even the pro controler being the player 2 and the gamepad being the player 1 and that is very good for all that the pcsx of the wiiu is very worth it really good.
I'm using Retroarch as a base since, well this is a Retroarch thread :P and also for the Dreamcast and N64 RA Cores most of the work is done, all that's needed is GL support and the PPC JIT support. (and the will of someone to do it) :P
As for PPSSPP your right THAT already has a native WiiU port I'd be more than happy with just updates, though if WiiU were to get full GL support that would help ALOT with PPSSPP
From what I remember Null DC on Wii never really got past the initial test phases, Flycast is now lightyears ahead and again only really lacking the GL and JIT to run well on WiiU RA. :)

Yeah, the Pcsxrearemd Core has been in development for a year, so most of the major issues we had has been squashed, its strange that some games run on WiiU while they dont run on Wii and vice-versa, compatibility should be the same since they both use pcsx as the base and both use the same Lightrec :P

Your right about the Controls too chalk that up to another perk over the Wii version :) and with Bloopair you can pair a PS3 controller for that authentic PS1 style controller experience lol

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm using Retroarch as a base since, well this is a Retroarch thread :P and also for the Dreamcast and N64 RA Cores most of the work is done, all that's needed is GL support and the PPC JIT support. (and the will of someone to do it) :P
As for PPSSPP your right THAT already has a native WiiU port I'd be more than happy with just updates, though if WiiU were to get full GL support that would help ALOT with PPSSPP
From what I remember Null DC on Wii never really got past the initial test phases, Flycast is now lightyears ahead and again only really lacking the GL and JIT to run well on WiiU RA. :)

Yeah, the Pcsxrearemd Core has been in development for a year, so most of the major issues we had has been squashed, its strange that some games run on WiiU while they dont run on Wii and vice-versa, compatibility should be the same since they both use pcsx as the base and both use the same Lightrec :P

Your right about the Controls too chalk that up to another perk over the Wii version :) and with Bloopair you can pair a PS3 controller for that authentic PS1 style controller experience lol
so what i noticed is that the pcsx rearmed on the wiiu has the inuyasha battle fix already active and the one on the wii doesn't and now with this ps1 update on the wiiu the game still works well a thousand times better even the loads are faster in the version from the wiiu and other games work fine too.

there is one thing i forgot to say the wii has a saturn emulator for it even if it is beta would it not run well on the wiiu if it was improved? like using it as a base or using retroarch as a base even though the N64 could use wii64 or the core of retraorch as a base but from what I noticed until now because I never tested the retroarch one and the project64 plugins that run today very well the games.
I asked a question before here because the wii64 and wii64 rice were left out of support for the pro controller good emulators that run some things but for me the wiiu deserved its own just like the ps1.

so what i noticed is that the pcsx rearmed on the wiiu has the inuyasha battle fix already active and the one on the wii doesn't and now with this ps1 update on the wiiu the game still works well a thousand times better even the loads are faster in the version from the wiiu and other games work fine too.

there is one thing i forgot to say the wii has a saturn emulator for it even if it is beta would it not run well on the wiiu if it was improved? like using it as a base or using retroarch as a base even though the N64 could use wii64 or the core of retraorch as a base but from what I noticed until now because I never tested the retroarch one and the project64 plugins that run today very well the games.
I asked a question before here because the wii64 and wii64 rice were left out of support for the pro controller good emulators that run some things but for me the wiiu deserved its own just like the ps1.

Só mais uma coisa tem uma opcão no retroarch que se vc deixar assim igual eu v

to performace in all cores in retroarch WIIU try use this config forme me work fine in all cores and pcsx rearmed run better

Attachments

• WIIU RETROARCH.png
    WIIU RETROARCH.png
    400.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited by Zeox-gamer,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Just one more thing, there's an option in retroarch that if you leave it like that, I'll see it

to performace in all cores in retroarch WIIU try use this config forme me work fine in all cores and pcsx rearmed run better
I tried running the WiiU Saturn Emulator on WiiU with WiiU CPU clocks and it still didnt even get close to fullspeed, its the lack of full GL support and a true PPC dynarec that's the block, if they were added to Retroarch then Yabause Core should be playable imo.

Really the WiiU PS1 Core SHOULD be the best of the bunch its just the weird performance bug that's holding it back, once that's figured out then the WiiU should have twice the performance of the WiiSX/Wiistation Emulators (imo)

huh, I'll check out setting Resampler quality to Default :)
Remember to turn off dithering and disable vsync too if you haven't already.. that makes a big difference in some games ;)
Also change Frameskip mode to Auto (Threshold) - helps in Tony Hawks 1/2/3 and others :)

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried running the WiiU Saturn Emulator on WiiU with WiiU CPU clocks and it still didnt even get close to fullspeed, its the lack of full GL support and a true PPC dynarec that's the block, if they were added to Retroarch then Yabause Core should be playable imo.

Really the WiiU PS1 Core SHOULD be the best of the bunch its just the weird performance bug that's holding it back, once that's figured out then the WiiU should have twice the performance of the WiiSX/Wiistation Emulators (imo)

Remember to turn off dithering and disable vsync too if you haven't already.. that makes a big difference in some games ;)
Also change Frameskip mode to Auto (Threshold) - helps in Tony Hawks 1/2/3 and others :)
What?? im confuse with the converstations about Dreamcast and N64 and am i reading that Wii U is able to run Dreamcast and N64 also part of PSP?

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I use active vsync I always have and everything is working fine I'm going to test it now to see if it makes any difference thanks

About saturn, not even with frame skips, were you able to make it run well? I say this because the wii yabause with some right maneuvers in the config to simulate a frame skip it is possible to play bomberman saturn in a playable way anyway maybe the wiiu is quite capable of running better even if it is on the basis of frameskip.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use active vsync I always have and everything is working fine I'm going to test it now to see if it makes any difference thanks

About saturn, not even with frame skips, were you able to make it run well? I say this because the wii yabause with some right maneuvers in the config to simulate a frame skip it is possible to play bomberman saturn in a playable way anyway maybe the wiiu is quite capable of running better even if it is on the basis of frameskip.
This is a vid I made ages ago showing Yabause with WiiU overclock.. as you can see it didn't run well lol and i think it had frame skip on too.

Bomberman may have just been a 1 out of 100 game that can run ok.
But I agree Saturn on WiiU could run fine if enough effort were put into it.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really?? I took @ploggys post as a massive step on that front as I've never used this core. Oh well, still good signs!
Yes there is still high hope but the reason I have seen some ppl has work on cores and left it unfinished until other ppl pick it up. It seems to be hard clue to success on Wii U retroarch cores.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes there is still high hope but the reason I have seen some ppl has work on cores and left it unfinished until other ppl pick it up. It seems to be hard clue to success on Wii U retroarch cores.
This new core is night and day compared to the old embercold PS1 test core, MANY games are fullspeed now.
You can say this Core is unfinished but the truth is the Lightrec dev has got us this far WITHOUT owning a WiiU themselves lol whats lacking now is people with the ability to debug this issue we currently have, I cant code otherwise I would have done it myself ages ago :/ there are alot of capable WiiU devs out there its just getting them here to look into it..
Which is another reason its been put out now, to get more eyes on the project. :)

And if there are any devs out there watching this thread the current source is here ;)
https://github.com/pcercuei/pcsx_rearmed/tree/libretro-wiiu-v4

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This new core is night and day compared to the old embercold PS1 test core, MANY games are fullspeed now.
You can say this Core is unfinished but the truth is the Lightrec dev has got us this far WITHOUT owning a WiiU themselves lol whats lacking now is people with the ability to debug this issue we currently have, I cant code otherwise I would have done it myself ages ago :/ there are alot of capable WiiU devs out there its just getting them here to look into it..
Which is another reason its been put out now, to get more eyes on the project. :)

And if there are any devs out there watching this thread the current source is here ;)
https://github.com/pcercuei/pcsx_rearmed/tree/libretro-wiiu-v4
True I know that Wii U has much more to access and never give up the hopes for Wii U because Wii U is the King of the Emulators and bavkward compatibles. it is still nice to see everyone still trying and work to get it closer by.

Reactions: Lostbhoy and ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT