Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some light reading ;) (thanks to @Zeox-gamer for the link)

https://clownacy.wordpress.com/2024/01/10/porting-a-nintendo-64-emulator-to-the-wii-u-at-1fps/
Post automatically merged:

Does anyone have access to older versions of WiiU Retroarch builds? I used to be able to grab them from Archive.org but it seems they have removed them :/

I would like to have builds older than what's on the Retroarch Buildbot... pre 1.9.0.

If anyone has them or finds them can you PM me. Thanks :)
Why are you looking for older retroarch ? did it have n64 core in retroarch for temporary? CrazyMac Ultimate Wii U Retroarch is 5 years old

Last edited by FanNintendo,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that 1 fps is crazy xD

sadly his latest commit on that core is over 2 months old.
I had no clue that this even existed until yesterday :P I hope that Clownacy continues his work on this especially now that people know of it lol

I tried to send him a message on his blog but it didn't show :P I think Clownacy has to moderate the messages?.
I think people should go and send a message showing their support for a N64 Core.
I don't think Clownacy is a member here and I couldn't find him on discord.

Why are you looking for older retroarch ? did it have n64 core in retroarch for temporary?
Nah I need an older Retroarch build for something unrelated to the N64 Core work.
Apparently killer Instinct 1+2 ran on the FBNeo Core on a pre 1.9.0 build (before Jan 24 2020), I just wanted to see how it performed :D

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no clue that this even existed until yesterday :P I hope that Clownacy continues his work on this especially now that people know of it lol

I tried to send him a message on his blog but it didn't show :P I think Clownacy has to moderate the messages?.
I think people should go and send a message showing their support for a N64 Core.
I don't think Clownacy is a member here and I couldn't find him on discord.

Nah I need an older Retroarch build for something unrelated to the N64 Core work.
Apparently killer Instinct 1+2 ran on the FBNeo Core on a pre 1.9.0 build (before Jan 24 2020), I just wanted to see how it performed :D
CrazyMac Ultimate Wii U Retroarch is 5 years old if you have?

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CrazyMac Ultimate Wii U Retroarch is 5 years old if you have?
That could work if it has a FBNeo Core? but IIRC the Crazymac build is massive, I would have to download a huge build just for a FBNeo Core file :P
Unless someone here already had the CrazyMac build downloaded and could upload the FBNeo_libretro.rpx file
That would be great!

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That could work if it has a FBNeo Core? but IIRC the Crazymac build is massive, I would have to download a huge build just for a FBNeo Core file :P
Unless someone here already had the CrazyMac build downloaded and could upload the FBNeo_libretro.rpx file
That would be great!I
I checked theres no FBNeo just FBA and i have it if you still want the retroarch Sorry again

Reactions: ploggy

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
that 1 fps is crazy xD

sadly his latest commit on that core is over 2 months old.
This must be a lot of work, but it's already a project that's going better than there being nothing, in other words, it should start, we just don't know how things are going.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@ploggy I got to Test KI and KI2 back when they were compatible with the older FB Neo core. They ran at mostly 2-4fps with heavy audio stuttering.
Haha really? damn :P
What's the version of the FBNeo rpx? 1.8.5 - 1.8.9? Support was removed officially for KI1+KI2 on Jun24 2020 so the closest build before that removal would be best...Thanks for testing :)

Reactions: Surdo123

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@ploggy I got to Test KI and KI2 back when they were compatible with the older FB Neo core. They ran at mostly 2-4fps with heavy audio stuttering.
i'm playing a 40 fps but to audio fix you need to use cpu clock in 35% but this fps slow in 15 cpu clock 75% game play fine but audio slow level no effect of punch sound.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all this talk about KI got me giving the recent build of Retroarch a go and it turns out MAME 2003 Plus can run KI at around an unstable 40-50fps if you have the Overclock 25% with the audio resampler on Lowest quality and Core Frameskip on at least 2.
Of course the icing on the cake is to add Fast Forward to get that extra 10fps push for the fights to feel somewhat fluid.
It’s interesting because it sometimes speeds up during battle and while comboing lol.

EDIT
————-
Actually I think it runs a tad better in regular MAME 2003 core. Less Audio stutter Go figure.

Attachments

• IMG_3802.jpeg
    IMG_3802.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Last edited by Maxbeta,

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So all this talk about KI got me giving the recent build of Retroarch a go and it turns out MAME 2003 Plus can run KI at around an unstable 40-50fps if you have the Overclock 25% with the audio resampler on Lowest quality and Core Frameskip on at least 2.
Of course the icing on the cake is to add Fast Forward to get that extra 10fps push for the fights to feel somewhat fluid.
It’s interesting because it sometimes speeds up during battle and while comboing lol.

EDIT
————-
Actually I think it runs a tad better in regular MAME 2003 core. Less Audio stutter Go figure.
It's because this happens in the corner of the scene, so it's very quick using v sync, it improves, but when it ran on FBneo it was better, you just needed to turn up the TV volume more

Reactions: Maxbeta

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's because this happens in the corner of the scene, so it's very quick using v sync, it improves, but when it ran on FBneo it was better, you just needed to turn up the TV volume more
That’s a real shame. I only remember the fps being really low off the bat after loading but I never messed around with tweaking it.
So you are saying it is possible that it ran much smoother on the now obsolete FBneo core?
In theory it should still be able to run in the recent retroarch builds as a legacy core no?
Man we nee to find this thing if only for those two games. This is probably the first time I’ve seen Ultra64 arcades running on an actual Nintendo console lol with the exclusion of the oficial N64 releases of KI.

Also, speaking of Final Burn, I managed to run Demon Front and other PGS games but they are missing background sprites throughout the levels. Any advice on these games @Zeox-gamer? @ploggy?

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That’s a real shame. I only remember the fps being really low off the bat after loading but I never messed around with tweaking it.
So you are saying it is possible that it ran much smoother on the now obsolete FBneo core?
In theory it should still be able to run in the recent retroarch builds as a legacy core no?
Man we nee to find this thing if only for those two games. This is probably the first time I’ve seen Ultra64 arcades running on an actual Nintendo console lol with the exclusion of the oficial N64 releases of KI.

Also, speaking of Final Burn, I managed to run Demon Front and other PGS games but they are missing background sprites throughout the levels. Any advice on these games @Zeox-gamer? @ploggy?

Hmm, It works fine on the PC version of Retroarch which suggests an endian issue.. BUT.. There was an issue about Demon Front on WiiU ages ago, turned out to be endian related and was fixed but there was no mention of missing backgrounds? that was in Aug 2020.
https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/issues/271

It's possible some more recent change broke the game again, if that's the case I suggest replying to the issue page saying that it is broken again :P
Or you can try looking for an older build of FBNeo to play the game KI 1+2 style hahaha.

Reactions: Maxbeta

Zeox-gamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

all PGM games have sprite bugs in FBneo on Wiiu
the sound is perfect
I played demon front it was also like this and I played spectral vs generation this one I had to skip 1 fps for it to work perfectly but in the scenes the sprites are still buggy someone has to fix this
the FBneo core is the only one that runs pgm with sound and only has this defect in game scenarios

I'm also looking for the old FBneo core to run KI and KI 2 because I remember playing them well or trying to talk to the people who ported the mame 2003 plus core to fix the problems with 3d games on that core.
I can run Soul Blade arcade on it, I skipped 2 frames, the game ran without sound if I skipped 1 fps, the graphics were buggy

tekken 1 and 2 too and still no sound, could this be a lack of dynarec?

blackkawa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hmm, It works fine on the PC version of Retroarch which suggests an endian issue.. BUT.. There was an issue about Demon Front on WiiU ages ago, turned out to be endian related and was fixed but there was no mention of missing backgrounds? that was in Aug 2020.
https://github.com/libretro/FBNeo/issues/271

It's possible some more recent change broke the game again, if that's the case I suggest replying to the issue page saying that it is broken again :P
Or you can try looking for an older build of FBNeo to play the game KI 1+2 style hahaha.

Just asking outside of topic, do The Legend of the Dragoon work on Unai? I tried a Undub version, but it hangs triyng to open the main menu. I couldnt test with the normal rom if it works.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just asking outside of topic, do The Legend of the Dragoon work on Unai? I tried a Undub version, but it hangs triyng to open the main menu. I couldnt test with the normal rom if it works.
That's strange, I cant even get the game to boot.. it will just freeze at a blackscreen when I load the CHD?
I'm loading the USA CHD.
It freezes on both the latest Peops buildbot version and the latest Unai version, which suggests its been broken like this for a while..
It will work in Interpreter but that's no good :P

Reactions: blackkawa

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was there ever a Saturn core created for the Wii U? I think I may have read talk about it in the past….or was it a standalone proof of concept emu for vWii? I can’t recall.

Can somebody share it here if it was ever made into core form?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...