Hacking RetroGameFan Updates/Releases

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Games sometimes automatically make a 0kb .sav file (even when you never booted up the game) Then when you scroll over them, YSMenu softlocks and you have to restart your DS. Idk if this is a bug or not, but it happens with random games and not just one. When you delete the 0kb .sav file from the MicroSD card it works again. Is there any fix for this? I have a R4i SDHC Gold PRO 2021 (winch while not mentioned, it does work with YSMenu)

Reactions: Sialoquent

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Games sometimes automatically make a 0kb .sav file (even when you never booted up the game) Then when you scroll over them, YSMenu softlocks and you have to restart your DS. Idk if this is a bug or not, but it happens with random games and not just one. When you delete the 0kb .sav file from the MicroSD card it works again. Is there any fix for this? I have a R4i SDHC Gold PRO 2021 (winch while not mentioned, it does work with YSMenu)
Hello. I have the same r4 as you with YSMenu and this fact happened to me rarely, and only with 2 specific titles, if I remember correctly. More specifically, in those games that have an autosave at specific points. If I'm not mistaken, changing the version of them (from EU to US) had solved the problem.
However never happened with random titles. That it creates the .sav file by itself without you launching a game I bilieve impossible.

Reactions: Sialoquent

PopcornSweetie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. I have the same r4 as you with YSMenu and this fact happened to me rarely, and only with 2 specific titles, if I remember correctly. More specifically, in those games that have an autosave at specific points. If I'm not mistaken, changing the version of them (from EU to US) had solved the problem.
However never happened with random titles. That it creates the .sav file by itself without you launching a game I bilieve impossible.
The thing is, i only have US versions of my games. So it only happens with those for some reason. TMNT is one i never started up and i do in fact know it had that 0kb file bug. Because i deleted that file.

IsaiCalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Isn't there a way to play some version of Inazuma Eleven? I bought the R4 specifically for that , I have the R4 SDHC Gold Pro 2021

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Isn't there a way to play some version of Inazuma Eleven? I bought the R4 specifically for that , I have the R4 SDHC Gold Pro 2021
Yeah, using your r4's own kernel. If you're afraid of the infamous "timebomb," just move the console date back a few years.
If you use YSMenu instead you will encounter random freezes and graphic glitches.

elezzar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What micro SD specs are recommended? In particular I'm curious about read and write speed, I have some sandisk SD card right now and games keep freezing at seemingly random times either during the game or while saving (in particular ghost trick and rock band 3), I've tried cleaning all the contacts from dust and stuff and it didn't help.

I'm using an R4i gold 2022 if that information is important

I'm looking to buy a new SD card to see if it fixes my issue

Thanks in advance!

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm looking to buy a new SD card to see if it fixes my issue
Nah, I don't think your SD is the culprit: Sandisk is a very good and reliable brand (unless yours is a chinese clone, like some sold on ebay). It may be that depends on the SD size (it is too big), the way it is formatted (cluster size) or the internal kernel of your flashcart. It may depend on the titles you play; try alternating (EU) and (US) versions of the same. YSMenu is far from perfect in terms of compatibility, but it often works just fine.

elezzar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, I don't think your SD is the culprit: Sandisk is a very good and reliable brand (unless yours is a chinese clone, like some sold on ebay). It may be that depends on the SD size (it is too big), the way it is formatted (cluster size) or the internal kernel of your flashcart. It may depend on the titles you play; try alternating (EU) and (US) versions of the same. YSMenu is far from perfect in terms of compatibility, but it often works just fine.
I was actually wondering about cluster size...

my SD is 16 GB (Sandisk Extreme UHS-3 Micro SD HC (could be fake, I'm not sure how to check)) I believe the cluster size is 32kb (fat32) but I'd have to check. what's the recommended cluster size / capacity I should use?

and what exactly do you mean by the internal kernel of my flashcart? is there a kernel present besides ysmenu? or am I misunderstanding

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what's the recommended cluster size / capacity I should use?
FAT32 with 32kb cluster size is already perfect.
what exactly do you mean by the internal kernel of my flashcart
I meant firmware (r4 internal software). Sorry, my bad.

Does it freeze only by playing certain titles and with any title? Because we know for a fact that with Lufia, Inazuma, Hotwheels, and others there are problems; they have been known to malfunction with YSMenu and freeze at random times. Unfortunately, no one has ever remedied this inconvenience.

elezzar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FAT32 with 32kb cluster size is already perfect.

I meant firmware (r4 internal software). Sorry, my bad.

Does it freeze only by playing certain titles and with any title? Because we know for a fact that with Lufia, Inazuma, Hotwheels, and others there are problems; they have been known to malfunction with YSMenu and freeze at random times. Unfortunately, no one has ever remedied this inconvenience.
I've never tried any of the three you mentioned, but yes its just a handful of specific titles so far, I haven't tested every game in existence but it feels like 1 in 12 have freezing issues at random times usually while saving or a scene of some sort is loading..

Off the top of my head the some of games affected are: call of duty - black ops, ghost trick, Mario vs. donkey Kong - mini-land mayhem, plants vs. zombies (rarely), rock band 3, sonic classic collection.

Reactions: Nikokaro

IsaiCalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Yeah, using your r4's own kernel. If you're afraid of the infamous "timebomb," just move the console date back a few years.
If you use YSMenu instead you will encounter random freezes and graphic glitches.
Do you know where I can download that Kernel? As you say, I tried it with YSMenu and the screen freezes within minutes of entering the game. I tried downloading one from R43DS. org and when I open it in NDS I only get a blank screen with the word "Menu? "

Last edited by IsaiCalles,

IsaiCalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
Post a picture of your r4 here or if you can't a link to that flashcart model: then we'll see what I can do.
WhatsApp Image 2023-10-28 at 8.38.28 PM.jpeg

Sialoquent

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
hen you delete the 0kb .sav file from the MicroSD card it works again. Is there any fix for this? I have a R4i SDHC Gold

I have the same card and have the same issue when trying to use a US Save file on a Japanese Pokemon Diamond by changing the save file name.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have the same card and have the same issue when trying to use a US Save file on a Japanese Pokemon Diamond by changing the save file name.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to help you. YSMenu has problems with various titles, as you can read more above. Regarding the game you mentioned, I'm afraid you'll have to resign yourself. Otherwise you could use the r4 Gold Pro's own kernel.

Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I got an idea! For some reason, launching certain titles, YSMenu initially creates a .sav file of 0kb: in this case insert the micro SD into the PC and manually copy a .sav file* of a working DS game and rename it as the game in question (e.g. Tetris.nds with its corresponding Tetris.sav). Insert it back into the DS and notice if you can now save normally while playing the game without the console freezing.

*Note: Of course, it must be a .sav file of the same size as that of the game in question; that is, you must get it from a similar game. Otherwise look online for the exact size of that .sav file (e g. Advanscene.com)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo