Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Hi!

For some reason my right Joy-Con won't connect to my Switch in handheld mode anymore. The controller is always in wireless mode even when attached to the Switch. Charging still works, since the charging icon is displayed in the controller settings.

I've tried resyncing the controllers, restarting the console and cleaning the contacts on both the Joy-Con and the console. The issue has to be in the Joy-Con as I tested another Joy-Con and it connected fine.

Any ideas what the issue might be?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

For some reason my right Joy-Con won't connect to my Switch in handheld mode anymore. The controller is always in wireless mode even when attached to the Switch. Charging still works, since the charging icon is displayed in the controller settings.

I've tried resyncing the controllers, restarting the console and cleaning the contacts on both the Joy-Con and the console. The issue has to be in the Joy-Con as I tested another Joy-Con and it connected fine.

I had this exact same problem after downloading Jump Rope Challenge. Right joy-con would only connect wirelessly in every game. I deleted jump rope and now my joy-con is working perfectly fine again. OP did you download jump rope challenge?

Tony_92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I had this exact same problem after downloading Jump Rope Challenge. Right joy-con would only connect wirelessly in every game. I deleted jump rope and now my joy-con is working perfectly fine again. OP did you download jump rope challenge?

Hmm... I haven't downloaded that game, however I did install some new games recently. Just in case I'll delete those and see if anything happens.

Reactions: AmandaRose

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has happened to me several times. One time I was on a road trip and it simply stopped working wired. I tried cleaning and all to no avail. I just left it for a couple of hours and it worked again. Then I had the issue again and it persisted and I was also dealing with Joy-Con drift so I phoned up Nintendo and they said they would repair all that. Sent it in and since then haven't had issues with my Joy-Con though that's mostly because I got annoyed and bought a Switch Pro Controller that works great.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi!

You don't have pins permanently bridged for RCM, right? That would cause symptoms like you are describing. During JoyCon firmware upgrades (starting with 6.X?) the right JoyCon will be semibricked if the pins are permanently bridged.

Tony_92

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
You don't have pins permanently bridged for RCM, right? That would cause symptoms like you are describing. During JoyCon firmware upgrades (starting with 6.X?) the right JoyCon will be semibricked if the pins are permanently bridged.

Nope, I've only been using a jig for the past year. Also the problem seems to be only in this Joy-Con, as I've tested another one and it worked fine.

During last week I randomly got the Joy-Con connection working once for a single gaming session, but now it refuses to connect as usual.

I've also taken notice that the Joy-Con will heat up my Switch if I leave it connected, when putting the console to sleep. During sleep it also sucks up the Switch's battery pretty fast, if the Switch is not connected to the charger. Something's definitely wrong with this Joy-Con.

Last edited by Tony_92,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nope, I've only been using a jig for the past year. Also the problem seems to be only in this Joy-Con, as I've tested another one and it worked fine.

During last week I randomly got the Joy-Con connection working once for a single gaming session, but now it refuses to connect as usual.

I've also taken notice that the Joy-Con will heat up my Switch if I leave it connected, when putting the console to sleep. During sleep it also sucks up the Switch's battery pretty fast, if the Switch is not connected to the charger. Something's definitely wrong with this Joy-Con.
Sounds like there might be a short in the JoyCon rail or on the PCB itself due to a faulty component.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hi