• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Right wingers proven to die more than Democrats due to the anti vaxx movement

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
OP
Trophies
XP
https://theintercept.com/2022/10/10/covid-republican-democrat-deaths/
Here's the article talking about it.
And
https://www.nber.org/papers/w30512
Here's the study.
From the article:
"Between March 2020 and March 2021, excess death rates for Republicans in Ohio and Florida were 1.6 percentage points higher than for Democrats; but from April 2021 to December 2021 — after vaccines became widely available — the gap widened to 10.6 percentage points. The study found that the largest gaps in excess death rates between Republicans and Democrats came in Ohio and Florida counties with low vaccination rates. By using county-level vaccination rates in Ohio and Florida, “we find evidence that vaccination contributes to explaining differences in excess deaths by political party affiliation, even after controlling for location and age differences,” the study said."
And earlier they talk about how most democrats are vaccinated by that point (at 92%) while Republicans about half of them ( at 56%) are vaccinated

Reactions: Xzi

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
You're trying to prove a point, but first prove that this isn't causality that old people who are the most vulnerable to COVID are also most likely to vote Republicans. A bunch of 18-22 college students aren't at risk.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Coleman
You sure want to be linking a conspiracy theorist who is not a virologist?
Post automatically merged:

You're trying to prove a point, but first prove that this isn't causality that old people who are the most vulnerable to COVID are also most likely to vote Republicans. A bunch of 18-22 college students aren't at risk.
Read the article
Oh I'm sorry usually that's too difficult. Even if I had already quoted that for that. Oops

we find evidence that vaccination contributes to explaining differences in excess deaths by political party affiliation, even after controlling for location and age differences,”

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
Read the article
Oh I'm sorry usually that's too difficult. Even if I had already quoted that for that. Oops
I did, it only mentions looking at people age 25 and up. And it also claims there is no difference when balancing for age, but provides no data thus it's not possible to verify.

So no, an article that just claims something without being able to back it up doesn't help your argument.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
I did, it only mentions looking at people age 25 and up. And it also claims there is no difference when balancing for age, but provides no data thus it's not possible to verify.

So no, an article that just claims something without being able to back it up doesn't help your argument.
NOOO DATA LMMMMAAAAAAO now I KNOW you didn't check. There's a big fat "download PDF" button. Which contains the ENTIRE 13 PAGE STUDY.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
Of course you ignore all of the greater context because being a Conservative continues to requires not looking too deep into a subject.
this quote suddenly feels even more relevant than before. (which is impressive since it was already relevant)

"The age bins used were 25-64, 65-74, 75-84, and 85-and-older"

Reactions: The Catboy

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
NOOO DATA LMMMMAAAAAAO now I KNOW you didn't check. There's a big fat "download PDF" button. Which contains the ENTIRE 13 PAGE STUDY.
The PDF with all this data only lists percentages between Democrats and Republicans. It doesn't list the numbers at the different ages on some charts. If you have the data that was used please provide it.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I'm very far for being anti vax. I myself took 4 doses already and I'm up to date with the calendar where I live. That said, that study is bullshit, pure and simple.
A person with complete vaccination can get a pretty bad covid if the society around is not well covered. The opposite is true, a person without vaccine is protected if the society around has good vaccine coverage.
Also there are questions regarding age, income, and lots of other demographic data that needs to be proper isolated to make this kind of assumption.

A much better way to measure this thing would be simply count the number of covid deaths in a given time/place and the vaccine coverage on that given time/place, and compare with other time/place where the coverage was different. A zillion of institutes and organizations already did that measurements, and the results do show that vaccines are indeed very effective.

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
The PDF with all this data only lists percentages between Democrats and Republicans. It doesn't list the numbers at the different ages on some charts. If you have the data that was used please provide it.

I know that it's hard to check sources within a pdf file. But you can do it. Check page 11.Because they tell you where they got their data from, and the methodology. They even intend on releasing the parts of data set they created which derived from those sources.

It's a classic case of trying to use correlation as proof of causation.
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

I guess the virus is just really great at killing Republicans. It worms through the brain and checks if your a democrat or not. If you are? nah you don't die as much. Republican? well fuck you.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very far for being anti vax. I myself took 4 doses already and I'm up to date with the calendar where I live. That said, that study is bullshit, pure and simple.
A person with complete vaccination can get a pretty bad covid if the society around is not well covered. The opposite is true, a person without vaccine is protected if the society around has good vaccine coverage.
Also there are questions regarding age, income, and lots of other demographic data that needs to be proper isolated to make this kind of assumption.

A much better way to measure this thing would be simply count the number of covid deaths in a given time/place and the vaccine coverage on that given time/place, and compare with other time/place where the coverage was different. A zillion of institutes and organizations already did that measurements, and the results do show that vaccines are indeed very effective.

The mistake was ever calling them "vaccines." A true vaccination imputes immunity. The Covid "vaccines" were more like flu shots. Should've been called such, and treated as such.

Reactions: bazamuffin

Deleted member 586536

OP
Trophies
XP
It still doesn't prove non-vaccinated ''republican'' are the ones who die.
Republicans had a vaccination rate of 56%. Compared to democrats which is 92%
Republicans died almost 11% points higher, than democrats, with controlling for same age range and controlling even for location differences.
Republicans (the party) went on saying the vaccine is bad, take hydroxy instead, that's a better solution. And Qanon (which is anti vaxx) also exists which is distinctly part of the Republican party. Unless your telling me the virus is picking an choosing by political affiliations in your brain. Which is an absurd position in a already absurd circumstance.
It's pretty obvious that vaccination rate, and excessive deaths are more than correlated, aka, since surprise! Having the vaccine reduces the odds of death, since you increase the odds of not getting so sick that you need to go to a hospital (or better yet maybe never catching it at all), and also increase the odds that even if you do enter one, you'll survive.

Last edited by Deleted member 586536,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Democrat/Republican parties are rotten so that study just placed people on two sides based on what their political affiliation may be.

This study just tries to keep medical segregation alive to divide people and there are many who'll obviously fall for their agenda as they agree and believe in it.

Moreover, Tulsi Gabbard is right. If she'd run for president in 2024, it'd be amazing.

CNN, MSNBC are garbage, but do you think NewsMax and FOX News are any better? 😐

Congrats on politicians politicizing this and losing any credibility they had left. Oh, speaking of that...

I guess the virus is just really great at killing Republicans
You're obsessed with Democrats vs Republicans.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work +1