'Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration' Coming to macOS

tomb raider.JPG

After like forever, macOS gamers (?) will finally be able to play as Lara Croft in the 2015 Rise of the Tomb Raider sequel to the series' reboot title, announced Feral Interactive today.

Players will become the young archaeologist Lara Croft as she seeks the lost city of Kitezh to recover the Divine Source, an ancient artifact with the power to grant immortality. When Lara’s quest puts her in the crosshairs of Trinity, a secretive global organisation, she must use all her wits and daring to reach the Divine Source first.

A new trailer was even released today for the announcement:

As well as AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration will support the following Intel integrated graphics cards: Intel Iris Plus Graphics 540, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 550, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650.

The game will be supported on all of the following Macs:​
  • All 13" MacBook Pros released since 2016​
  • All 15" MacBook Pros released since Late 2013 with a 2.3GHz processor or better​
  • All 21.5" iMacs released since Late 2017​
  • All 27" iMacs released since Late 2014 (models with an Nvidia GT 755M graphics card are not officially supported)*​
  • All Mac Pros released since Late 2013​
*Late 2012 models with a 2GB Nvidia 680MX graphics cards are also supported.

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration bundles the base game with all DLC ever released for the game and will be coming to macOS on April 12th. The game is up for pre-order from the Feral Store and Steam.​

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Insert standard
everyone said:
People play games on Mac?
comments that always happen with news like this.

Yes, people do it. It's not as uncommon as people think.

EDIT: I got ninja'd by someone who almost exactly said what I predicted someone would. lol

Last edited by OkazakiTheOtaku,
Reactions: Noctosphere

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insert standard

EDIT: I got ninja'd by someone who almost exactly said what I predicted someone would. lol
It's more common than it should be, at any rate. Playing on a mac is infuriating. I have a few friends that do it, and it's always a headache getting stuff setup.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Insert standard

You say it's not uncommon - but that's just a statement. How can you really know how common it is?

If it was as common as you say more game companies would release games on macos - but as it is there is not a lot of money in even porting the games. Why? Very small interested user base.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Playing on a mac is infuriating. I have a few friends that do it, and it's always a headache getting stuff setup.
I have the exact opposite experience. I have 3 computers: One running Windows 10, one running Mint Linux, and a Mac. Getting stuff running well is always easiest on the Mac.

If it was as common as you say more game companies would release games on macos - but as it is there is not a lot of money in even porting the games. Why? Very small interested user base.
There are over 7000 games on Steam alone that support Macs. That's quite a substantial amount.

I don't want to get into this argument as it will go nowhere. But I'm just tired of the people that feel the need to comment "hur who plays on Mac" every time there is a bit of news.

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
A mac is just a gimped PC with a different OS. Not sure why anyone bothers with them anymore tbh.
Yes once upon a time they were good, nowadays people only use them as a status symbol because they're expensive so it gives them a false sense of pride or something :grog:

Spoon feeding the mac an odd game or two keeps them happy I guess B-)

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A mac is just a gimped PC with a different OS. Not sure why anyone bothers with them anymore tbh.
Yes once upon a time they were good, nowadays people only use them as a status symbol because they're expensive so it gives them a false sense of pride or something :grog:

Yup, macs are as big a part of bourgie culture as ugg boots and north face jackets.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the exact opposite experience. I have 3 computers: One running Windows 10, one running Mint Linux, and a Mac. Getting stuff running well is always easiest on the Mac.

There are over 7000 games on Steam alone that support Macs. That's quite a substantial amount.

I don't want to get into this argument as it will go nowhere. But I'm just tired of the people that feel the need to comment "hur who plays on Mac" every time there is a bit of news.
to each their own. if it's how you prefer to game, i got your back. i have a modified windows 10, so perhaps that's the difference. modified osx isn't really a thing, so watcha gonna do.

D

Deleted User

This comment section is quickly going to devolve further into a fucking shit show about how macs are total shite.
Before you post your comment just question in your mind: "Does it really fucking matter what I am about to type?"

hobbledehoy899

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This comment section is quickly going to devolve further into a fucking shit show about how macs are total shite.
Before you post your comment just question in your mind: "Does it really fucking matter what I am about to type?"
At that point do the games themselves fucking matter? Besides, you're still on the arm9loaderhax bandwagon, an exploit that doesn't fucking matter for a system that's not going to fucking matter in a relatively short amount of time.
upload_2018-4-9_12-34-32.png

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

Don't game on my Mac even though it's more than capable.

Feel so sorry for people who have to use Windows. I'd kill myself.

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

BRO, with same amount of money you spent on a gaming mac, u'll probably build a window based pc with I9 cpu powered with nuclear power supply, Titan xXx and cryogenic cooler. :P

Last edited by leon315,
D

Deleted User

At that point do the games themselves fucking matter? Besides, you're still on the arm9loaderhax bandwagon, an exploit that doesn't fucking matter for a system that's not going to fucking matter in a relatively short amount of time.
Yes I am still on the A9LH bandwagon, I never update my profile for this site as I never really log in or even visit that frequently anymore.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Meh. I feel like people who own Macs and want to play games on them already do with, y'know, Bootcamp and Windows. I mean, Windows almost always runs games better than OS X on the same system because of better drivers/better DX support vs OpenGL/Vulkan by devs.

I feel like all those "LOL GAMING ON MAC LOL" people kind of forget (or just straight up ignore) that Bootcamp exists, and forget that despite their outrageously inflated price some Macs still have semi-decent specs with dedicated GPUs, and not just shitty integrated Intel iGPUs, that are totally "gaming-worthy".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: sup