Rockstar confirms "active development" of next GTA title

gta.JPG

In a Grand Theft Auto Community Update released today, Rockstar has confirmed that the next GTA installment is indeed in the works. "With the unprecedented longevity of GTAV, we know many of you have been asking us about a new entry in the Grand Theft Auto series," reads the post. "With every new project we embark on, our goal is always to significantly move beyond what we have previously delivered — and we are pleased to confirm that active development for the next entry in the Grand Theft Auto series is well underway. "

While Rockstar has not shared much details at this point, the company mentions that it will be sharing more as soon as they are ready.

:arrow: SOURCE

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't mind it, as long as they deliver at least a decent story, good single player experience with (lots of) side quests (some RPG influence), so it doesn't make it a barren empty (large) world with nothing to do.
As for the GTA Online successor, if it'll be exactly the same as GTA Online with their business practices it would be a shame, as i would like to play some if it's fair for both players who choose to level up and earn stuff in-game versus those who choose to pay for their shark cards, without it being grindfest for people like me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I would agree with this, their main focus is to adhere to social trends and be expansive & inclusive as much as they can (for all races, genders etc), it's in their best interest, though i wish they keep some of the satire the series is known for.
I was actually just being facetious to highlight why it's probably going to suck. :P

They waited so long to make another one, it's practically a different world now. If they had continued making them every few years like before, they probably could have adapted incrementally over that time. But now? If they adapt, the difference is going to be palpable. No one will accept a socially sensitive GTA.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they had continued making them every few years like before, they probably could have adapted incrementally over that time.
Game development is not as it was back in the PS2 era, given how large these games are, it's only logical that building something new or from the ground up takes time, that's why giving us something in the form of a story-focused DLC expansion is better (just like in GTA IV), without releasing a an entirely new game every 3/4 years.
5/6 years is more like it to release a new game, and i'm not saying they haven't got lazy/greedy, and that's why we haven't seen none of it..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It would be foolish of them not to design it from the ground up around the online components to maximize the average number of microtransactions per player. They're a big company with a lot of people on their payroll. It would actually be immoral for them not to.

My other concern is that the social climate has changed a lot over the past 10 years. Perhaps it would be in the best interest of the company to not press on any hot button issues or cultural taboos. The game should be a safe space for people of all backgrounds.
Don't know about immoral, might be illegal though if the investors have anything to say.

As far as social climate being radically different then not really. The Jack Thompsons of the world have a bit less power, maybe, owing to them all being old and dying off but everything else is much as it was (maybe see the kill all the Haitians controversy, or kick it really old school and see the orange hat people from the 2d eras) and there will be whiny types with no sense of humour of all flavours that they skewer completely. Equally other than those with no sense of humour has any previous entry been unsafe (whatever that might mean) for any group?
We'd have it sooner if someone could make a good GTA clone. Cyberpunk proved it's not as easy as it looks to make a city sandbox game.
I don't know that Cyberpunk proved all that much other than the devs being rather too ambitious.

As far as good clones... come back Saint's Row I guess.
The next GTA entry WILL BE set in the states, it's in their best interest to.. if i would guess, they might go back to either Liberty City or Vice City, with the latter being more likely. Or they might go with a new region akin to San Francisco, or maybe Chicago.
Please don't fuck it up this time!
Also GTA VI UE5 ray tracing would be insane, though that might be a bit farfetched for the moment.
I'm not expecting anything of course, just not as pessimistic as some of you here.. would be a shame for a generation defining series to be reduced to a online cash-grabbing shitfest.

Does San Francisco have much in the way of a criminal background in pop culture?

On Vice city then they could do it but I will note the timing of the PS2 effort there coincided very nicely with the retro Miami nostalgia (got to have that Scarface poster to be like your favourite rapper on MTV cribs and all that) where they would possibly be on their own for this one (though they are a big enough force and we are probably long enough from Vice City for it to be its own driving force and nostalgia cycle in one). Granted if they wanted to do some of the missions like 5 then I would be up for Burn Notice the game, which would even dovetail with the grim und gritty they seem to have gone in for since... possibly the 3d era entirely but definitely starting with 4.

On Chicago. For settings you have then prohibition era (would be older than any other GTA game, and harder if you want weapons and cars. Might also invite unwelcome comparisons to LA Noire) or the depressing wasteland it has been since... when did the car industry go pop there?

Texas, which has the culture both high and low, is probably off because don't want overlap with Red Dead. I could see an Atlanta one but I don't know how much that really has for that sort of thing outside the US (if we are worried about murricans not playing dem dere foreign cities then the reverse might be in play here -- no real crime films or TV shows set there and outside the US people are more likely to tell me about Seattle rap scene than Atlanta, even more so if they were not around for the 5 minutes the dirty south rap scene had a bit of momentum). Vegas/Nevada tends to get subsumed into San Andreas rather than being its own thing. Hawaii could be an interesting one actually, might even be my top pick for non any of the usual three or London -- high rises, opulence, underclass, beaches, area limitations by default, nice bit of crime, interesting political maneuverings (would look to see their take on the independence thing), fair bit of pop culture (Hawaii Five-0, both of them clocking at least 10 years a piece)...

If they were really brave (I am amused just imagining the whining if they do a proper political satire -- you know you would end up a political fixer for a house of cards style setup) DC Baltimore Philly... which has a fair bit but we might also be a few too many years to piggyback on The Wire.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Granted if they wanted to do some of the missions like 5 then I would be up for Burn Notice the game
This doesn't sound too bad actually, the episodic nature of the show (Burn Notice) compliments the GTA mission structure very well IMO, as you've stated we've already seen some in GTA V..
London would be a bad choice not because it's not suited or wouldn't make a good GTA experience, it just that the GTA series (specially from GTA 3 and onward) is known for being set in the US and about the US, and that includes the political satire etc. So changing it to somewhere else would hinder the interest in the game, from people around the world (not just the US), and that's risky move specially for a big title like GTA imo.
Whatever the game'll be in the future it needs to be current, in order to stay relevant.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This doesn't sound too bad actually, the episodic nature of the show (Burn Notice) compliments the GTA mission structure very well IMO, as you've stated we've already seen some in GTA V..
London would be a bad choice not because it's not suited or wouldn't make a good GTA experience, it just that the GTA series (specially from GTA 3 and onward) is known for being set in the US and about the US, and that includes the political satire etc. So changing it to somewhere else would hinder the interest in the game, from people around the world (not just the US), and that's risky move specially for a big title like GTA imo.
Whatever the game'll be in the future it needs to be current, in order to stay relevant.
I don't know how much the "known for being set in the US" really plays into things here, at least to the point of excluding London from the running. I would not necessarily pick any other city in the UK* but you can do the advertising satarising, chain shops/corporate culture, politicos, spies, high life vs scraping by, towers (rich and poor for that matter), slums, gangs, corrupt police and more quite happily and probably still have those that got the American efforts play happily here (I will go back to that the getaway video, do something like that with modern tech and you get a very nice GTA game).

As far as being current I would not go much further back than the 1960s for a time period -- you still get sort of modern cars and weapons in those scenarios (or can handwave what then would have been space age tech being commonly seen in the hands of street level types) but most did quite happily in the "this could have been the 90s" angle which also dodges issues with magic computer and phones/internet making storytelling hard. That said they seem to really lean into adding more and more gimmicks to each successive game (Vice City felt like a refinement but San Andreas felt like "because it is cool" was allowed to run too far, 4 and beyond going further still).

*though GTA Birmingham could be funny

Reactions: Charli and CoolMe

CoolMe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how much the "known for being set in the US" really plays into things here, at least to the point of excluding London from the running. I would not necessarily pick any other city in the UK* but you can do the advertising satarising, chain shops/corporate culture, politicos, spies, high life vs scraping by, towers (rich and poor for that matter), slums, gangs, corrupt police and more quite happily and probably still have those that got the American efforts play happily here (I will go back to that the getaway video, do something like that with modern tech and you get a very nice GTA game).
Again i wouldn't mind it being set in London, i was just expressing it from their point of view.
As far as being current I would not go much further back than the 1960s for a time period -- you still get sort of modern cars and weapons in those scenarios (or can handwave what then would have been space age tech being commonly seen in the hands of street level types) but most did quite happily in the "this could have been the 90s" angle which also dodges issues with magic computer and phones/internet making storytelling hard. That said they seem to really lean into adding more and more gimmicks to each successive game (Vice City felt like a refinement but San Andreas felt like "because it is cool" was allowed to run too far, 4 and beyond going further still).
Same as above, just like in GTAV, it's more likely the next entry will stay current and adhere to the trends (smat phones, social media,NFTs possibly etc), to appeal to younger audiences. Setting it back 4 decades is simply not in their best interest, either we like it or not. Though i hope i'm wrong.
And let's not forget about GTA Online 2, because it will be there, and they won't build a separate game for it.

Last edited by CoolMe,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking more that they actually did London in the past -- see some of the expansions to 1.

As far as London in 3d open world crime sims I will stand up for the getaway

Have yet to play Watch Dogs 2 but could see that joining things at some point. Some might also stand up for ZombiU/Zombi.

I don't know that Mexico City or Rio would be the best choices -- regardless of what we may all think of different entries in the series they are all pretty much about skewering general notions of opulence and the societies in question being all that and more, nobody looking to Mexico or Brazil as a leading light in human development/thing to aspire to. Thus makes it hard to do in those, though Max Payne 3 did pretty well for São Paulo I guess which I guess means Rio is also possibly on the cards. Barcelona also does not quite have the criminal underworld notions in popular culture -- everybody has seen Scarface, one of a thousand LA gangster films, same for New York (be it Warriors, modern or mafia films) and UK gangster film is its own subgenre as well (even if most don't make it much further than Guy Ritchie and Layer Cake) where Barcelona... you go there to eat nice food, gawp at architecture or ride a skateboard.
Ignoring what I said above then a GTA take on City of God era/story (those having not seen it and liking gangster films then sort that at your earliest possible convenience) would be something I am there for day 1.

Black Monday could've been a good game, but had several problems:

- Driving sucked.
- No dot/circle for knowing where to shoot.
- Main character had a huge head.
- It felt more like an expansion than a full game.

I'm nostalgic about it though I'd not play it due to those reasons.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Six times the same game.
Really, how many times can one play the same game?
Because the game is the same.

IT'S THE SAME GAME, PEOPLE!

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We all know GTA V was developed in over three and a half years. This means that the new "most expensive game ever made" will not be released soon.

britain4

Trophies
XP
Country
I didn’t get on with GTA V at all and don’t play online either. Thought they’d lost their touch until they came out with RDR2 which is easily one of my favourite games ever.

It’s a shame the online and F2P BS is where all the money is these days. Hopefully they can incorporate both into the next one to keep everyone happy and not completely half-arse the single player side of things.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick reminder that the last good GTA game was released 14 years ago and anyone who says otherwise has never played IV in their life
Also quick reminder that rockstar published the grove street games Trilogy remasters and they're responsible for the shitfest that is GTA online.
Now that i've crushed your hopes, you'll never be disappointed since you had 0 expectations to begin with!
GTA 3 was better than 4.
And Saint's Row 2 was better than both.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
    rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2: i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning...