[RUMOR] Datamine potentially shows SNES games for Nintendo Switch Online

cd8271baa93d761c.jpg

Those that have access to Nintendo Switch Online are likely familiar with the included NES titles with the subscription. Though Nintendo adds a handful of new games to the lineup each month (Zelda 2 and Blaster Master are Jan. 2019's new additions) many fans have been clamoring for Super Nintendo games to also be added. While nothing has been officially stated at this time, it seems a datamine might have let the cat out of the bag a little early, as Twitter user KapuccinoHeck has discovered a list of 22 SNES games within the data for the NES Online app, which were reportedly added in the last Switch software update. The 22 titles are as follows:

• Super Mario Kart
  • Super Soccer
  • Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
  • Demon's Crest
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Kirby's Dream Course
  • Pop'n Twinbee
  • Star Fox
  • Contra 3
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  • Kirby's Dreamland 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World
  • Pilotwings
  • F-Zero
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Punch Out!
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Super Mario All Stars
  • Breath of Fire 2
This list manages to differ from what the SNES Classic offers, with Final Fantasy VI, Super Mario RPG, Castlevania IV, Donkey Kong Country, Mega Man X, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana missing from what would supposedly be given through the Nintendo Switch Online service. However, these titles could be planned for future monthly updates rather than being rolled out all at once. Presumably, since the NES games have extra features, such as online play and save states, these would be carried over to the SNES games as well. At the time of writing, though, nothing is concrete, and the list is merely a datamine with unconfirmed information.

:arrow: Source

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Online is still shit and not worth paying $20 a year. I dont care if the other competitors do it, Nintendo gives you nothing in return. You dont even get dedicated servers, just P2P. You're literally paying Nintendo so you can go online. Anyone who pays for this is a pathetic shill.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo Online is still shit and not worth paying $20 a year. I dont care if the other competitors do it, Nintendo gives you nothing in return. You dont even get dedicated servers, just P2P. You're literally paying Nintendo so you can go online. Anyone who pays for this is a pathetic shill.
I see, so you have no logical thought just some unfounded hatred toward them for charging for a service that was free (like Sony) at a very reasonable price.. And anybody who disagrees and pays for the service is a shill? So edgy.

BTW, not all of the "dedicated servers" are dedicated. Some are hybrid servers and don't even properly protect your IP and offer no real incentive in using them over P2P. Yeah, keep up the good work though. Fighting a valiant cause.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Xzi and Xabring

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
These are good games. Sadly enough, they are taking a lifetime to make an official and atractive Virtual Console. To this point in time, I believed that we would have a good amount of NES games, SNES games and even N64 ones (in the worst case scenario), but almost two years later and not even the SNES ones? Man, this is Nintendo no doubt.

They got their heads up on their ass3$

Last edited by nWo,
Reactions: Kioku

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come out of 2006, please. Their online isn't failing. Not sure how you reached that conclusion and honestly I don't want to know.

The switches online was free until last september, the payment hasn’t added anything, Nes games are worthless & the payment shouldn’t be needed

Reactions: Bladexdsl

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have not read the thread yet but regarding the term "datamining"
Is this the new term for hacking? Hackers poke around internal files would have been the sort of thing I traditionally expected to see, datamining works well enough I guess but following the do you still know the term warez discussion, and a few other cases where people noted datamining escaping its original confines* or being a parallel term a bit I am curious.

*10 years ago I would have said it is something along the lines of using existing data, possibly collating a few pieces, to make a statistical inference and all the other stuff you do with lots of data. It being more of a mathematical, business/marketing and scientific discipline than anything typically associated with hacking. To this day I would expect a data miner to be more familiar with a spreadsheet/database than their hex editor and the nuances of compression and text encoding/strings search.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Licensing... Things arn't that simple... They toss Mega Man 2 or Final Fantasy on the service without the correct contracts, they could be sued.
Yes I know that make sense. What doesn't make sense is why were they was unable to do that for something they already had managed to do two years ago. November 2016 they sold the nes classic with 30 games, yes the games was from various companies. Some was also from Nintendo. What happened to super mario bros 2 or Kirby's Adventure or Super Punch out? Those games are owned by nintendo and don't require any legal issues. I fail to see why that would change because there are games on Nes Classic that did not need a license from another company.

For the ones that did need a license, it also doesn't make sense about the games that are chosen. Double dragon 2 is on nes classic, but they put the first one on Switch nes, both games from the same company who license them, and other games have the same thing in common. Then you have Gradius on both which is good, but then where is castlevania 1 & 2 or super C? I don't expect Mega man 2 to be on there since it's already playable on switch by getting the Mega Man Legacy Collection, but they do have ghost n goblins on both.

This is just the launch of the service. I am not asking them to get in trouble. I'm asking for a explanation why are there games that could have definately been on the service at launch that isn't there. That was the point I was trying to make. Fact remains even without license from other companies for their games, they are missing their own titles that don't have to deal with such issues. It just would have been nice to see all those existing games on day one.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you're not wrong. To US it makes logical sense.

But I've worked with legal documents for years, *note I was not creating them, but fixing them and such so I don't know EVERYTHING, but did pick up a good chunk of information* and... Well. Licensing contracts are just flat out weird. Not a single one I've ever worked on truly made sense.

One example I always remember, for a license to use a specific medical formula actually ended at 4:52pm on a day.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I know that make sense. What doesn't make sense is why were they was unable to do that for something they already had managed to do two years ago. November 2016 they sold the nes classic with 30 games, yes the games was from various companies. Some was also from Nintendo. What happened to super mario bros 2 or Kirby's Adventure or Super Punch out? Those games are owned by nintendo and don't require any legal issues. I fail to see why that would change because there are games on Nes Classic that did not need a license from another company.

For the ones that did need a license, it also doesn't make sense about the games that are chosen. Double dragon 2 is on nes classic, but they put the first one on Switch nes, both games from the same company who license them, and other games have the same thing in common. Then you have Gradius on both which is good, but then where is castlevania 1 & 2 or super C? I don't expect Mega man 2 to be on there since it's already playable on switch by getting the Mega Man Legacy Collection, but they do have ghost n goblins on both.

This is just the launch of the service. I am not asking them to get in trouble. I'm asking for a explanation why are there games that could have definately been on the service at launch that isn't there. That was the point I was trying to make. Fact remains even without license from other companies for their games, they are missing their own titles that don't have to deal with such issues. It just would have been nice to see all those existing games on day one.

The NES classic is a standalone low value good, the switch service is for a high value, continuously made, internet enabled... device. Where you and I might see an ARM device then to the average business/IP wonk it is a very different product for a very different market (to say nothing of the apparent popularity of the retro market compared to years past) and would very reasonably require a whole different set of negotiations.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No,I want to buy it,but everybody is saying,that it lacks features of Wii U and all...
Switch is quite literally the opposite of Wii U. Two systems in one instead of one system split in two. That doesn't mean it "lacks features," it just has entirely different features.

Reactions: Xabring

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They're still going to add to it, and still support it. It it's the same shtick that Sony and MS are doing at a significantly lesser cost. Yes, right now it's kinda dull, but to some of us it's enticing.
difference is sony and microsoft have hundreds of online games the switch has an handful of games tough.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
difference is sony and microsoft have hundreds of online games the switch has an handful of games tough.
Multiplat stuff doesn't really count, as you can play it online for free on PC. That's a big part of why I'm willing to pay for Nintendo's online service, Switch is the only console with exclusives that I want to play online. PS4 exclusives are really solid, but they're almost all single-player.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Multiplat stuff doesn't really count, as you can play it online for free on PC. That's a big part of why I'm willing to pay for Nintendo's online service, Switch is the only console with exclusives that I want to play online. PS4 exclusives are really solid, but they're almost all single-player.
switch exclusives are way more single player than ps4 and xbox lol

also third partys do count because not everyone has a pc to run those games ...

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Xabring

Kallus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No,I want to buy it,but everybody is saying,that it lacks features of Wii U and all...

It's selling pretty well for Nintendo. It houses plenty of amazing games, and all of them can be played on the go or at home. I'd say it makes up for any missing features with the portability itself. You should get it. Don't let other people's opinions drag you down.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What? MK8D, SSBU, Mario Tennis Aces, Splatoon 2, etc?

Here's PS4's list of exclusives:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-PS4EXCLUSIVESCAT/1

I count maybe three online games, two of which are generic baseball games.

And XB1 doesn't have exclusives, everything on it releases for PC too.
why only counting exclusives? lol that makes no sense, when you pay for the service you can play all 3rd party's and first party titles, and yes nintendo doesn't even have 40 games with online multiplayer including 3rd party's and ps4 and xb1 got hundreds, just because you choose to remove third party's doesn't make it true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, unless you mean you are tired too