RUMOR: Nintendo possibly telling developers that it has delayed its annual June Direct

fb-400x400.jpg

E3 won't be happening this year, but game companies throughout the world are still prepared to make their announcements and reveals this June. And ever since Nintendo moved their E3 Showcase into the digital Nintendo Direct format in 2013, they've always had a showcase in June. But this year might break that uninterrupted track record. A report from VentureBeat claims that Nintendo is telling developers that they will no longer be holding their annual June Direct, due to the difficulties of COVID-19 and their staff being forced to work from home. The report also claims that the difficulties may stem from Japan's work culture relying on respectful face-to-face meetings, and that workers in the country are not prepared for a work-from-home lifestyle.

VentureBeat's rumor track record has been fairly steady as of late, with the media outlet getting the dates for both March 26's Nintendo Direct and the Indie World Showcase correct a week prior to the official announcement.

:arrow: Source

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
well so no direct this year, we get to know games as they come now like the old days xD im guessing 3rd party devs might want to start releasing trailers of their own on twiter or something.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And of course they won't announce it publicly, so around E3 people are gonna start asking for it again and Nintendo will just ignore them like they did for months before the mini.
I get it, there's a worldwide situation. This situation does not prevent a company from communicating its issues.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And of course they won't announce it publicly, so around E3 people are gonna start asking for it again and Nintendo will just ignore them like they did for months before the mini.
I get it, there's a worldwide situation. This situation does not prevent a company from communicating its issues.

You are forgetting Nintendo’s new goal of being anti-consumer. As well as anti-announcement-ism ever since the PR failures of the pokemon company. Nintendo’s biggest investors want them to be the new ea with a stretch goal of being the new_disney/old_microsoft.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The report also claims that the difficulties may stem from Japan's work culture relying on respectful face-to-face meetings, and that workers in the country are not prepared for a work-from-home lifestyle.
So these guys never heard of video calling and still use IRC or texting on their phones... even worst, E-MAIL for messaging? :blink:

Clearly working in the same room is a lot easier but it seems like they never tried working from home ever. That's the kind of thing people should prepare for in case stuff like THIS happens. :ninja:

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are forgetting Nintendo’s new goal of being anti-consumer. As well as anti-announcement-ism ever since the PR failures of the pokemon company. Nintendo’s biggest investors want them to be the new ea with a stretch goal of being the new_disney/old_microsoft.
That's pushing it. But I do think they suck at communicating their issues properly.
And their pacing has always been awful the first half of the year. It's not just a covid thing.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This sucks, but it seems like whenever a Direct is cancelled (or at least thought to be cancelled, I don’t think they’ve ever officially cancelled one they already had announced) all the third-party stuff just sort of gets dumped out pretty much immediately, so if this is true we’ll probably be hit with a bunch of announcements soon anyway.

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This really is just a shitty year from Nintendo. My biggest fear was the June direct getting delayed. Hope they are just rumors and nothing else!

daddu3

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Oof... this is only going to make the drought of big announcements from Big Ninty's even longer after Xenoblade Definitve comes out.

In case rumor being indeed true in the end, may heavens be with them... cuz' luck won't be around to save them for now on like it did with the such a timing regarding sales of New Horizons. :huh:

Last edited by daddu3,

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So these guys never heard of video calling and still use IRC or texting on their phones... even worst, E-MAIL for messaging? :blink:

Clearly working in the same room is a lot easier but it seems like they never tried working from home ever. That's the kind of thing people should prepare for in case stuff like THIS happens. :ninja:
It seems that Japan tends to move pretty slowly when it comes to cultural changes. Knowing how to and actually shifting workplace culture are two very different things. Even initiatives from the Prime Minister have difficulty shifting workplace culture, as seen in the challenges his attempts to reduce chronic overwork among the Japanese working population have faced.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems that Japan tends to move pretty slowly when it comes to cultural changes. Knowing how to and actually shifting workplace culture are two very different things. Even initiatives from the Prime Minister have difficulty shifting workplace culture, as seen in the challenges his attempts to reduce chronic overwork among the Japanese working population have faced.
I just think they prefer having them work at a office cubicle all day so they can keep tabs on them and make sure no one is slacking off and stuff. That's the worst kind of environment, being harrassed by supervisor or micromanaged. :blink:

Maybe I'm paranoid, everytime I hear about japanese work environment, makes me remember how sakurai got sick from working too much. Wondering if it was his own free will. Did he choose to work that much or was he doing crunch time for some other reason? :ninja:

I just don't like thinking about it. Businesses... the less you can pay someone to do the most work, that's basically what people think which probably leaves bad impression. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out. @BigOnYa
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Dr Strange is a gynecologist for prostitutes.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Going where lots of men have gone before
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh it was a joke, but I used to bite my nails when I was young, but when I started doing construction work and seen what crap was under my nails, I stopped.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    What i said isnt a joke
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sometimes yea when they get real long, you want to, but I always end up with a bloody finger or hangnails.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well that's 30 minutes worth of complaining
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well that's 30 minutes worth of complaining