[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're the one making the claim that this will be significantly, undeniably harmful. I think the burden of proof lies with you here.

Perhaps it might be related to wanting reassurance. Maybe my behavior is the reaction to the fact that it happened much quicker than I expected it to. Six months, that's pretty effing quick for something to be cracked.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps it might be related to wanting reassurance.

Rydian (and a few others, I think) have listed quite a few consoles with considerable piracy that still produced a strong output of games, like the PS2 or 360.

Piracy may not help the Wii U, but I highly doubt it'll deliver the killing blow. Honestly, attacking the pirates for ruining the system's chances seems more like scapegoating than anything else.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I'd love to see proof or a statement from another member proving to me how this won't spell disaster for the Wii U. No really, I'm itching to find out.

Time will tell how this affects the wii u, piracy will be easy to blame if it ends up a failure by fanboys when so far it is in the position it is in only because of Nintendo's mismanagement.

Why don't you just sit back and wait and see how all of this pans out, instead of raging in this thread non stop for like 30 posts like some mentally ill deranged person who has nothing better to do with their lives but cry over a modchip?

Reactions: rizzod

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time will tell how this affects the wii u, piracy will be easy to blame if it ends up a failure by fanboys when so far it is in the position it is in only because of Nintendo's mismanagement.

Why don't you just sit back and wait and see how all of this pans out, instead of raging in this thread non stop for like 30 posts like some mentally ill deranged person who has nothing better to do with their lives but cry over a modchip?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/feeling-conflicted-about-wii-u-dumps.347324/

Please read this, I've uh, done some thinking.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that you guys don't understand that pirates are a very small minority that don't make or break ANYTHING. Most people will not mod their system, it is not like music or movies. Even if 5% of people pirate (I think I remember geohot saying for iphone/ipod, jail breaking is only around 2%). If the company loses 5% projected profits it DOES NOT really matter, if from the other 95% they make nothing, it is because their game is shit, blaming it on pirates is a normal thing to do to calm down investors.

Reactions: Slimmmmmm

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are going to render the chip useless the same way M$ is doing it on the xbox 360 with the xk3y, then we have nothing to worry about! *irony off*

there is no way to prevent an ODE/ODDE from working when you have figured out the drive authentication and the crypto between the system and the drive.
even if they implement new system calls you can easily recreate those, too!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo can use this to their advantage...

- Chip comes out, boosts sales
- looses 3d party support
- Sales continue, time passes
- BANG ! ! required update, chip is useless

fix'd

I can not wait for that.... here I am suffering with 2d parties. That said I am worried that if Nintendo loose it all at once though it will be too much.

there is no way to prevent an ODE/ODDE from working when you have figured out the drive authentication and the crypto between the system and the drive.
even if they implement new system calls you can easily recreate those, too!

Timing challenges (there might be an inherent latency somewhere), power consumption/resistance/impedence checks, induced failure (the normal drive might brush off 50000 malformed requests where this would not), failure to fully implement read protocol (see something like the below 8000h reads on the DS) and the list goes on for a little bit. Most of that is very hard even if your hardware is built for it and some could still be worked around in an update but none is really out of reason and I could probably drum up examples of things like it in various devices over the years.

Reactions: Qtis and Wizerzak

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not in it for a cheap way to play pirated games, and sure, I might end up doing that a bit but I also just want something to poke and prod at. I'm not new to the reverse engineering game, but I also don't go out of my way to join a scene or team, I just do this as a hobby and sometimes as a job when I'm hired on as a contracted consultant. Hell, if I do happen to figure out something neat that isn't particularly damaging to the console or completely user unfriendly (which is most of what I deal with) then maybe I'll share it on the scene but for the most part I just like to tinker around with things on my own which is the main reason why I either chip or softmod most of the locked down gadgets that I buy.

Also, have to say this, Dan Rosenberg is a great guy and the one who actually got me started on some of the more advanced "tricks" as far as android is concerned whether he wanted to or not lol.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
They aren't waiting for anything, and anyway if they did have methods to run code, in theory play backups etc, doesn't mean they will share them externally ever, afaik they don't want to contribute to piracy and therefore releasing something that may lead towards it is the last thing they want to do, its obvious the "31" lol, aren't fanboys that have to show off to the fact they have info, they could all be working on different projects with the same endgame, just amazes me how much it bothers/doesn't bother some, to the point of writing a thesis on it, who cares who releases what, Nintendo have a big enough legit fanbase that if %1 even buys a $100+ device, its not gonna harm them, if you have no ripping methods and rely on 20gig dumps for each game this will also limit somewhat some users. ....... And people are delusional if they don't realise the "scene groups" work with all hardware manufacturers regarding piracy, its not just PARADOX lol, it wouldn't make much business sense to not, groups deliver the illegal portion incognito, hardware teams deliver the devices needed to use "Insert Groups Name" Rips, just like the 3ds, right from the first nfo, they have a way on "their hardware" to run their rips, they are just waiting for the optimal time to sell to the Chinese... ROFL

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, we've seen groups like Bahamut change which flash cart they test their dumps on depending on what was available at the time (which means different teams), using the DSTwo's "clean mode" near the end of the DS's run due to not tripping any AP (and because they didn't need the patch features to confirm a game dump anyways), and of the exploits that do get sold (which is a low amount of the total in the first place), it's not always sold to the Chinese. Datel has bought one or two, even recently for the Wii they bought one from a forum member here to use for their Wii AR (his own version of a mail bomb, confirmed by Twiizers to not be their own).

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ Ray Lewis:

your theory about everything getting cheaper when there is competition does not quite work out.
what if there is NO competition? just look at the xk3y for the 360. where is the competition? the damn thing is still beyond the 100$ line! way too expensive and still NO competitors! why?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Dumpflam, Report it or contact staff.