[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if the ability to edit the game binaries doesn't exist, this could be resource replacement, right? ROM hacks without new features, basically. Can edit levels for games, do texture replacements, and so on.

And of course I have to tentatively mention that while most game-based exploits rely on changing external data to be loaded (malformed save usually), if the resources for the game itself could be swapped there'd be a hell of a lot more things you could feed a game. Of course if the Wii U has crap like NX/ASLR and junk it's not going to be as easy to get code running as on the Wii, and if the stuff is sandboxed that's another hurdle for actually modding the OS, and people would need one of these chips to get started... but still. It's a thing?

I would be well up for a bit of resource ripping but given the wii used full disc encryption and others are getting into the file signatures (the 360 did a bit of this in XGD3 titles hence overburning/cut off not being an option any more) I would not hold out much hope. Also given games are fans of high level scripting languages (we even saw lua used in commercial games on the DS) I imagine the security people would have not allowed arbitrary code to come from the assets side of things (though such a thing would be my first port of call on the DSi and 3ds if they finally close the overlay option). That said even the non obviously turing complete scripting options of games allow for some serious changes, sometimes on a par with things that would previously have required ASM hacks, so it would be really nice.

As for the "we all hope Nintendo bounce back thing".... I dare say if Nintendo do experience a failure this time around it would not be an unjustified one.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking the same SifJar.

I think it will be the Wii all over again. We do need clarification of what they actually mean by "completely reversed" the file system.

The main thing imho that this news will bring is encouragement.

We NEED imho
- Some exploit to allow homebrew
Well...... surely someone talented enough will release one, one day....

- Re/fake signing of games or swapping of resources (even if it's = or < size)
This is a MASSIVE hobby, custom guitar or singing, mario karts or smash bros and the usual NSMB challenges also the translation that so many love. Note these things are the hobby, playing them comes second to most creators who pride themselves on quality.

- POC's on the gamepad ... libs ... new ideas to make FUN games
Yeah, LONG way off....but this is the thing that I'm waiting for. Not playing an emulator on it, but a homebrew game with source for me to learn from and change.

- Cheats.... I'm no fan of cheats being used for cheating, but increasing laps to make a race more epic or other things like this can make a game last a lot longer and ultimately be more fun.

- Loaders.... they are a VERY handy thing, saving time and money to almost everyone, even if they come with AP they need to debut one day to help us organize and sort to our hearts content.
I worry this thing will be like the WODE with a crap LCD and annoying joystick that I think every WODE user has complained about from launch.

Then the usual fails by Nintendo fixed, EG not enough save slots for some games (some people have kids etc).
A good way of backing up things and restoring versions of the backups in batch.
A decent media player.

etc....

As I said, the main thing I think this news story brings is encouragement.
Until we know what they mean we can only interpret what they say.

It all comes down to what they mean by "completely reversed" the file system.

I am thinking far ahead of course.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
About that piracy means lack of games thing:
Its really easy to pirate PC games, so everone will stop making games for computer.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a pretty silly argument - if you want to be reasonable about a piracy discussion, show some figures.

As of February 2012, there were 3,1 million unique homebrew channel installations, let's assume that there was an additional 1,4 million users who lived under a rock and hardmodded their console instead and we have 4,5 *potential* pirates (homebrew capacity does not equal piracy, but let's ignore that to give your argument a chance to fly). Meanwhile, the Wii sold 95,85 million units as of march 31st 2012 (99,84 million as of today). Taking this into account, you'd have to assume that over 90 million users without backup launching capabilities bought the console as a paperweight with no intention of buying games for it... that's not reasonable.

The Wii got shoddy ports and was on First Party CPR not because it had piracy problems - it was because it was a generation behind hardware-wise and nobody wanted to develop for it. Hardware constraints are not hurdles every developer wants to jump over - they limit the freedom of coders. Now, your claims about the games library can also be easily refuted. The Wii had 1221 titles as of November 2011, the DS/i had 1297 titles as of November 2012. These numbers are still growing and they are not small, so apparently developers didn't mind all that much.

As for the DS, exact flash cart sales numbers are not something I have, but I can present something else. As of June 2010, CESA recorded 2,071,006 illegal downloads of Pokemon Platinum, which was the most popular downloaded title until new Pokemon games were released. In the same timeframe, the game sold 7,06 million copies - this means that there were aprox. 9,131006 active copies of the game at that time, only 22% (that is, if we assume that all the downloads were working dumps and the pirates did not download the same game several times like they do all the time) of which were pirated on a system where all you have to do is put a $5-$20 flashcart into your cart slot and you're good to go with no modifications as far as piracy is concerned, and this is an extreme case - Platinum was literally the no.1 game in downloads, other games didn't even get close to 2 million downloads. "Touch! Generation - Common Sense Training" was extremely popular and Japan, it's no.11 on the list and it was only downloaded 89,667 times total - that's a laughable number in comparison.

As for "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess", that title was multiplatform - it was released for both the Gamecube and the Wii, so I'm not particularily suprised that it sold more although I haven't read any sales figures to support that - this is my assumption.

Both consoles were a massive success for Nintendo, they walked a straight path ahead of the competition in spite of all this "terrible piracy" and both systems are still supported in some fashion... so no, I guess I can't agree with you, piracy is not a huge, wide-spread problem that you could count "in the millions" within a single country - if anything, it's in the millions worldwide and still nowhere near the amount of legitimate console users.
It is the same with most consoles/devices, I think I remember geohot saying that only 2% of iPhone are jail broken, but it seems like many people here think everyone will now be buying this/pirating, but most people will not ever open up their consoles or trust anyone to do it.

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Ugh... Seriously people, quit it with the double standards, we all know you WILL download one game or two if you get the chance.

Duurrrr hurr howp ninty will patch eet cuz I'm soooo legal and clean... Yeah, and Steve Jobs didn't release overhyped, useless, overpriced products.

Piracy didn't kill anything, and it won't start now. Companies are just saying that so they can apply their online DRM/passes/always on crap, Heck! Even Nintendo said they didn't care that much for piracy.

Either way, only 5% of the user base will even care to pirate, and most will be for testing purposes before buying, so your golden company that totally doesn't just want your money is safe and sound.

Yes, I mad!

Reactions: the_randomizer

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
the only reason the wii didn't get many top end titles from 3rd parties is plain and simple: it didn't have enough powa. that's all devs care about these days....

Also developing for Nintendo is a pita with no proper SDK or support and a lot of things left for the dev to figure out for themselves.

3rd parties would port things if it wasn't so over complicated imho.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From ozmodchips (who I would like to thank for responding to my email):

"Sorry, nothing we can share. The product is still a while away from being released. no need to get too excited about it yet :)"

Reactions: SushiKing

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, we'll need pretty big HDDs if we want to play these mother of ISOs.
23 GB for one ISO... sheesh.

That is nothing major for a PC game, 360 games often hover around 9 gigs per disc, PS3 games are often about the same though they can go to the full blu ray.

Similarly for just over £100 (games retail between at about £40) in a high street shop a friend picked up a 3 Terabyte drive the other day, online it is even better.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Get an external 3TB hard drive from Newegg for about $130 if you catch a decent sale, that being said I expect some games to be larger.

so the cost of that + the WiiKeU = more than parents will buy for there children so they will bitch and moan like mofos

Reactions: Bladexdsl

vini9157

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
--- Post From wiiuhax moderator --- source: http://www.ps3hax.net/showthread.php?t=55598&page=6

@bubba :

027c9557648a1a999aa7848319bb5ef2
- AES key

______ /\__________________________ __________ __/\ _______
____\ \/ / _ / _ \/ _ \/ \/ /
| \ // / / / / / // \/ / _
| \ / _______/ / // _/ / / // rtx/
| VENOM \\ /\__________/_____/_____/\____\_____/______/_____/ /art: \ /
`-------- \ / --> Proudly Presents: The Avengers - Battle for Earth (EUR)
\/

Publisher: Ubisoft Platform: Nintendo WiiU
Developer: Ubisoft Origin: Europe
Release Date: May 2013 Size/Format: *.ISO (WUOD)

Release Info -------------------------------------------------------------->

Wow, things are starting to heaten up, eh?

We think a teensy bit of disc image header is cute and courageous.. but
here at VENOM we go for GOLD!

Today we give you the first full WiiU disc image! Nothing more to add, enjoy

For the curious tinkerers, if you EVENTUALLY want to play this disc image
by whatever means, you will probably need this AES key:

>> 027c9557648a1a999aa7848319bb5ef2 <<

P.S. Where are the sleeping giants who broke this console back in december?

Greetings -------------------------------------------------------------->

LEGACY . CAPITAL . RISING SUN . DUAL CREW SHINING . ECHELON . MODE7
KALISTO . MENACE . TRIFORCE . JESUS . SUXXORS . F4CG
COMPLEX . DUPLEX . MONEY . ESPRiT iSO
__
\/ ----------------------------------->

"The Playmakers"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one