Rumored successor to PlayStation Now, code-named Project Spartacus, is "pretty close to launching"

960x0.jpg

Late last year, Bloomberg reported that they had insider information on a new service that Sony was working on. Code-named Project Spartacus, it would merge both PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now services and have multiple subscription tiers, with the most expensive one offering classic PlayStation games. A new report has come in, from VentureBeat's Jeff Grubb, as he discussed what he knew about Project Spartacus in a recent episode of the Giantbomb podcast.

He added on to previously teased information, and claimed that there will be three tiers to Spartacus: Essential, Extra, and Premium. Essential would pretty much be the existing PlayStation Plus offering, while Extra would add on a downloadable game catalog, similar to PlayStation Now. Lastly, the Premium tier would have the most features, such as cloud streaming, timed game trials, and "access to classic games", though Grubb was not certain what exactly those classic games would be, or what systems they would be from. According to his knowledge, that would be a major draw for the Premium tier.

These tiers would be $10, $13, and $16, respectively. Grubb also said that Project Spartacus is "probably getting pretty close to launching", with a possible announcement coming sometime in March.

Again, all of these prices and names could change. But this is the general outline of what to expect from Spartacus. And these features should make PS Plus look much stronger in comparison to Xbox Game Pass. While Sony will not include full versions of its blockbuster games in PS Plus on day one, game trials will at least give a bigger audience a chance to sample those games.

Sony is moving into a testing phase for Spartacus in the next few weeks. And it could announce the details of its new membership program in March — although that’ll depend on whether it is ready to roll out the service.

:arrow: Source

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm wondering what "Classic games" they can offer which didn't already have superior HD releases.

sley

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Man MGS would be awesome but Konami couldn't even be arsed to port the HD collection to something newer than the PS3.
Sony will probably just push the current PS2 Classics on PSN onto this service together with PS1 games.
PSP would be cool for JRPG fans indeed.

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Man MGS would be awesome but Konami couldn't even be arsed to port the HD collection to something newer than the PS3.
They couldn't, and I'm not defending Konami, but they did allow MGS HD Collection to be added to PS Now and Xbox BC. They seem to care... Marginally.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting... but honestly I'll probably stick with the 'essential' tier, at least while I'm still on PS4.
What's up with the trend of putting a "plus sign" at the end of everything these days, ala LGBTQ+

What does + mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
PS+ (PS Plus) launched almost 12 years ago, so hardly a bandwagon jumper, more of a trend setter.
As for what + it means... it's fairly evident... "Plus", ie 'more'/'additional'/etc

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
What's up with the trend of putting a "plus sign" at the end of everything these days, ala LGBTQ+

What does + mean?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
LGBTQ+ is premium gay. It's 13.99 a month, I believe.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, so far we don't know what "classic games" they'll add to this service, i hope they add new titles and not just old ones that were already there on the PS store, titles from the PS3 and not just the PS1/PS2, as they're locked on that system. Addition of PSP games would indeed be nice but i honestly doubt it.

Reactions: sley

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will conflict with mobile emulators I am afraid, who would want to go through the trouble of downloading roms while you can just go into an app and instantly stream them?

N10A

Her stare burns...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$16 per month is a lot to pay for ps1 games IMHO, but I guess they're just taking cues from Nintendo on overcharging for a subscription service for fifth generation games.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What I'd like is that the "retro games" available in the monthly premium offer would also be available on a single purchase choice.
For example, if they add Drakengar (PS2 classic title) to their list, I'd like to be able to buy just that game if I want to, without the need to pay for a monthly access to all other retro games I don't want.

Currently there are PS2 classic titles available (like Rogue Galaxy). I can either buy the game as standalone OR get access to it in PSNow.
I just hope they would still allow users to purchase on a single game basis and don't force users to subscribe to get access to these games.
If they could make PS2 as single games on PSN, they can as well add more. why didn't we have more of these yet? they are like Nintendo VC games with bundled emulators and single ROM/ISO.

I'm not including the streamed only games in that idea, like PS3 games. if they want a subscription for streaming service, I get it. But more offline VC style would be welcome.

Another idea I'd like to see would be to allow users to insert their ORIGINAL PS1/PS2/PS3 disc in the console (given the console's drive is compatible with old CD/DVD) and trigger an "official emulator" like Microsoft CEO mentioned. I understand they don't like the idea of old game owners not buying the games once again on their new console, but they could make that official emulator behind monthly sub if they want to make profit! (though, they allowed users to play their PS4 libraries on PS5 without re-buying them, maybe there's hope for older games too?)
Like their "PS2 classic" currently on PSN AND PSNow, they could provide users both choices : A monthly fee subscription emulator reading from original discs (not burned/pirated ones), and also sell them as single VC style for users who prefer to re-buy their already bought games in digital form.

Last edited by Cyan,

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not to sure about this.. i need more info... would be nice if it's 16 dollars a year but i doubt it... i bet there going add PS Plus and the other stuff on there for more money...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I think it means something like one of these...