[Rumour] PS4 Assembly Line Reportedly Sabotaged by Foxconn Interns

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I preordered 3 of these. As of today, all 3 are returned to their stores. I like xbox 360 better at this point because it has the games I want to play. There's really nothing I want on PS4 and Xbox One has Killer Instinct but I think I'm fine with Killer Instinct arcade games on Xbox1, KI gold on N64 flash cart, and KI on SNES. KI on SNES is my favorite one because I spent the most time playing that one.

I may buy PS4 again later but I'll compare with Xbox One and what deals are available at the time. But I barely have time to game since my studies take over most of the time I would be playing.

Wait...you pre-ordered 3 PS4's all of them with defects? Holy crap.

Or am I getting this wrong?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait...you pre-ordered 3 PS4's all of them with defects? Holy crap.

Or am I getting this wrong?

I'm confused myself, which is why I asked for a clarification. The context is "broken PS4's" but the content is "XBox One has games I like", so the statement can be understood both ways.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If this were true, then it should once again bring concern to the working conditions for Foxconn. The fact that this kinda news continues to rise about them makes me greatly concerned as to why no one has stepped in. Hell, instead of improving, they put up suicide nets, that's disturbing on so many levels. Instead of improving, they just made it harder for workers to kill themselves and again it seems the government/all of the companies that work with them, are just turning a blind eye to this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm figuring you forgot to read the topic and sources :P Sony did nothing wrong its Foxconn

lol I don't know.... At some point wouldn't Sony be aware of the issues going on at Foxconn? They have been in the news quite a few times over the past couple of years what with all the suicides the mass suicide, unpaid labor disputes, the "safety" nets and the list of complaints just goes on and on.

I agree that Sony probably needed to find a company who could produce the sheer amount of systems they needed and Foxconn is probably one of a small group of companies could fill the order AND that Foxconn was probably the lowest bidder on the contract (that could fulfill it.) so in a way Sony may not have had a choice in the matter.

I guess you can blame Sony partially for being greedy bastards but in the same breath you have to blame Apple, Nintendo, Microsoft and almost every other company that has dealings with China. Profit margins so good you would swear some one sold their soul for it...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If this were true, then it should once again bring concern to the working conditions for Foxconn. The fact that this kinda news continues to rise about them makes me greatly concerned as to why no one has stepped in. Hell, instead of improving, they put up suicide nets, that's disturbing on so many levels. Instead of improving, they just made it harder for workers to kill themselves and again it seems the government is just turning a blind eye to this.

That's not 100% true - they were forced to comply more strictly to China's legal regulations and they are inspected more often, so there were some sanctions placed on them, just not severe enough to make them care too much about improving the working conditions.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's not 100% true - they were forced to comply more strictly to China's legal regulations and they are inspected more often, so there were some sanctions placed on them, just not severe enough to make them care too much about improving the working conditions.

That's kinda good, but what about all the companies that work with them? Hell even Nintendo seems to have turned a blind eye to what's happening. If anything they are just as responsible for these problems as Foxconn is. Sure they don't directly do anything, but the fact that they allow their products to be made under these conditions should be shamed.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this were true, then it should once again bring concern to the working conditions for Foxconn. The fact that this kinda news continues to rise about them makes me greatly concerned as to why no one has stepped in. Hell, instead of improving, they put up suicide nets, that's disturbing on so many levels. Instead of improving, they just made it harder for workers to kill themselves and again it seems the government is just turning a blind eye to this.

In times past, you would have seen some sort of outrage and maybe a financial or shipping embargo. Maybe a stiff tariff on goods coming from that country so that goods made with paid labor could compete on at least an equal price.

These days it seems like the corporations have paid off the politicians so much and bought so many elections that it seems we are pretty much endorsing slavery.

Ah well who cares as long as I can get a cheap TV, little Tojo is going to have to work 70 hours this week.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I preordered 3 of these. As of today, all 3 are returned to their stores. I like xbox 360 better at this point because it has the games I want to play. There's really nothing I want on PS4 and Xbox One has Killer Instinct but I think I'm fine with Killer Instinct arcade games on Xbox1, KI gold on N64 flash cart, and KI on SNES. KI on SNES is my favorite one because I spent the most time playing that one.

I may buy PS4 again later but I'll compare with Xbox One and what
Considering the context of the article, you make it come across as if the three systems had factory defects so you returned them, but later on you talk about the game library. Can you confirm what was the cause of returning them to stores so that other readers aren't confused? :P

I didn't open any of them. I canceled one before I got it and the other two were factory sealed when they departed from my grasp.

I don't miss em either. I have other games and stuff I'm working on that would leave no time to play on ps4.

But at least I didn't find out if some spoiled foxconn worker whom HAS A JOB to support himself messed up a system that I bought.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I didn't open any of them. I canceled one before I got it and the other two were factory sealed when they departed from my grasp.
That explains a lot.
But at least I didn't find out if some spoiled foxconn worker whom HAS A JOB to support himself messed up a system that I bought.
Not sure if I'd use the word "spoiled" in reference to someone who practically works in a legal sweatshop or the word "job" in reference to an intern who either gets paid nothing or next to nothing and only works for a limited time during/right after his/her studies.

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

I may buy PS4 again later but I'll compare with Xbox One and what

I don't miss em either. I have other games and stuff I'm working on that would leave no time to play on ps4.

Okay that clarifies things.

You would be pretty un-freaking-lucky to get 3 damaged systems.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm figuring you forgot to read the topic and sources :P Sony did nothing wrong its Foxconn
If you're buying anything with processors in it you're probably buying foxconn. The amount of manufacturing they do is ridiculous, avoiding them is nearly impossible.
im figuring you guys haven't been here long have you?

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got 3* and 2 of them were broken--1 died after the fw update, and the other wouldn't output a picture--the third one has been fine for the past 24-hours or so but, of course, I am terribly paranoid about it going south, too.

(Anecdotal evidence suggests I'm not alone on this sorry ship.)

*All for personal use--was just trying to get one that actually functioned :P

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....what about all the companies that work with them? Hell even Nintendo seems to have turned a blind eye to what's happening. If anything they are just as responsible for these problems as Foxconn is. Sure they don't directly do anything, but the fact that they allow their products to be made under these conditions should be shamed.
The problem lies with China, not the companies. Companies just benefit from the inexpensive labor that China's poor labor practices allow and pass the savings on to us. If you're truly outraged, you might want to throw out anything that resembles technology, as our purchases are what ultimately encourage and support these practices.
In times past, you would have seen some sort of outrage and maybe a financial or shipping embargo. Maybe a stiff tariff on goods coming from that country so that goods made with paid labor could compete on at least an equal price.

These days it seems like the corporations have paid off the politicians so much and bought so many elections that it seems we are pretty much endorsing slavery.

Ah well who cares as long as I can get a cheap TV, little Tojo is going to have to work 70 hours this week.
Ding Ding Ding. We as consumers have grown complacent; we don't mind how much corruption and hardship goes in to manufacturing so long as we get that fancy new iPhone every six months.

That's just ignorant right there. Wow. As many have already pointed out, working in China is not the same as working in the US or elsewhere in the world. Imagine living at work just so you can work longer; being fed gruel and going to school at work. Not something I would envy.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I got 3* and 2 of them were broken--1 died after the fw update, and the other wouldn't output a picture--the third one has been fine for the past 24-hours or so but, of course, I am terribly paranoid about it going south, too.

(Anecdotal evidence suggests I'm not alone on this sorry ship.)

*All for personal use--was just trying to get one that actually functioned :P

That's hella unlucky, I wonder what went wrong with the firmware update... :unsure:

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That explains a lot.
Not sure if I'd use the word "spoiled" in reference to someone who practically works in a legal sweatshop or the word "job" in reference to an intern who either gets paid nothing or next to nothing and only works for a limited time during/right after his/her studies.

In the USA we are taught at a young age to take pride in our work. Anyone whom doesn't doesn't really have my full respect. I mean, my family came from Ireland and we were opressed as hell in Ireland, France, and when we hit US soil and we always kept to our word and proud of hard work even if we earned less than a half ripe potato in the fields of Ireland under British opression.

rcazador

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Protip, Sony's deals has absolutely nothing to do with Foxconn's employees or their interns. :rolleyes:
Right, so how come Apple and all the other Foxconn clients have NO issues? Explain that. It's obvious Sony tried to push for even lower costs for their $399 price. So when they push hard to cut costs, Foxconn leans even more on its bonded labourers. Each company has a different contract with Foxconn with different Human rights standards and expectations.
Apple uses the same Foxconn bonded labour but limits exploitation at least a little but conducting surveys and publishing reports. They do this to maintain their social standing and corporate goodwill. More than can be said for Sony.

Edit: that's a great user name, I respect it as a Tolkien fan.

eyecat14

GBATemp's Lovely Jizzing Mordecai™
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
This is actually reason for concern not only for future PS4 owners but also for those who purchase Apple's, Nintendo's or Microsoft's products, among many other. Foxconn is a major manufacturer and its employees are disgruntled, underpaid, tired and depressed. Such incidents will occur more and more often until Foxconn faces some serious sanctions (which will probably never happen "because China").

Break ALL the consoles!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1