• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Scotus Rules against trump to keep financial records secret

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it seems the shit has hit the fan for trump since he is no longer el presidente (Tropico joke there) seems the wheels of justice will finally start turning today Scotus ruled against trump to keep his financial records out of the hands of various prosecutors aiming to take swings at trump he may have beat the political impeachment system though i doubt he'll beat the legal one (He will delay no doubt in hopes that they will lose intrest in him though I'm pretty sure those prosecutors will have some ways to prevent a long drawn out legal battle

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/politics/supreme-court-trump-taxes-vance/index.html

also as a reminder of the other court cases impacted by this besides the hush money payments and various pending charges

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/22/politics/trump-tax-returns-analysis/index.html

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pretty tilt that it's taken this long for anything to be done about Trump and that I honestly doubt anything is going to happen to him.
Well the order is for the Grand jury and the prosecutors to get the info not the public.. Accountants already agreed to follow the court outcome and have the info at hand..

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. Nobody is above the law, or at least shouldn't be. Now let's do Biden.

And since the IRS has had Trump's taxes and done nothing to-date except audit and approve, if any illegality is uncovered then let's make sure those at the IRS who missed it are also fired and prosecuted.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. Nobody is above the law, or at least shouldn't be. Now let's do Biden.

And since the IRS has had Trump's taxes and done nothing to-date except audit and approve, if any illegality is uncovered then let's make sure those at the IRS who missed it are also fired and prosecuted.

They did Not say approved.

Reactions: Deleted User

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did Not say approved.

What years of Trump's taxes are still under audit? For any other years, IRS has given him a pass.

What years does the Manhattan D.A.'s subpoena cover?

If there's crossover, i.e. same years where the IRS audited and did nothing and the grand jury says "a-ha! possible crime!!" then the IRS fucked up.

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What years of Trump's taxes are still under audit? For any other years, IRS has given him a pass.

What years does the Manhattan D.A.'s subpoena cover?

If there's crossover, i.e. same years where the IRS audited and did nothing and the grand jury says "a-ha! possible crime!!" then the IRS fucked up.

He had his hand with the IRS. You're still NOT going to change my mind.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well the order is for the Grand jury and the prosecutors to get the info not the public.. Accountants already agreed to follow the court outcome and have the info at hand..
I really hope something actually happens. Unfortunately, after the bullshit of the impeachment hearing, I am keeping my hopes low. I would rather be proven wrong and happy as a result than have my hopes crushed.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
He had his hand with the IRS. You're still NOT going to change my mind.
Then now do Biden is the correct response - because he has not?

Point being, its not a good image for the POTUS to be in jail for tax avoidance. So there should be some amount of 'leniency' in play regardless of who is in charge - simply because of 'how it would look'. (National security, international image, ..)

(So in a sense, the Potus, and even former ones - is above the law.)

This might be why we had 'what will be the public image of Trump - once hes out of office' discussions three years ago - because some of that leniency is expected, but at the same time Trump certainly overdid it, but also gave the office a new self-image.

So basically what was 'ok' and what was not - to uphold the bright image of the US was up for debate.

Lets not forget, that the official narrative would have been to cheer him out of office, until the Capitol thing happened.

Here - take a meme ;):

trump-3123~_v-gross20x9.jpg

(And start looking a bit broader than just 'the gossip parts' (my guy vs. the bad guy) of politics. ;) )

edit: Also - this:
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-technology-archive-c99697ac657534d6015894377d04eb1f

Last edited by notimp,

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lolol I just love the Fact that Micheal Cohen (Trumps personal Lawyer during the Period) is on live MSNBC is saying Trump is screwed. Mind You Cohen is the Dirty Lawyer that did a lot of fixing for Trump. lol

Could be. I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which Trump could be screwed but Cohen is not (i.e. even more than he already is).

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could be. I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which Trump could be screwed but Cohen is not (i.e. even more than he already is).
I don't get me Wrong Cohen is GARBAGE.... but his the type of Rat that will Spill all the Beans to save his own ass...

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He never attempted to keep his tax returns secret to begin with. As a person running for public office, that's not something you have to worry about unless there's a boatload of illegal shit contained within them.

https://joebiden.com/financial-disclosure/

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get me Wrong Cohen is GARBAGE.... but his the type of Rat that will Spill all the Beans to save his own ass...

He's already been convicted in Federal court of tax-evasion himself. Still serving his sentence AFAIK, though he got cushy home confinement thanks to Covid.

I don't have any illusions on this front. I just assume anyone flying that high in the political world is a surfer on waves of corruption. Both parties.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He never attempted to keep his tax returns secret to begin with. As a person running for public office, that's not something you have to worry about unless there's a boatload of illegal shit contained within them.

https://joebiden.com/financial-disclosure/

No I meant let's have a federal prosecutor conduct an investigation and then present their conclusions to a grand jury. Totally separate from whether tax filings look correct on their face, or at least that's what the message here is. Let's look into those communications between Hunter and his business partner whining about "the Chairman" taking 10% of everything.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No I meant let's have a federal prosecutor conduct an investigation and then present their conclusions to a grand jury. Totally separate from whether tax filings look correct on their face, or at least that's what the message here is. Let's look into those communications between Hunter and his business partner whining about "the Chairman" taking 10% of everything.
Oh don't worry, I'm sure Republicans will spend 90% of the next four years throwing shit at the wall just to see if anything sticks. Thanks to the precedent they set though, Joe Biden is indeed above the law until he's no longer in office, so at the end of the day it's all really just sound and fury signifying nothing.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Oh don't worry, I'm sure Republicans will spend 90% of the next four years throwing shit at the wall just to see if anything sticks. Thanks to the precedent they set though, Joe Biden is indeed above the law until he's no longer in office, so at the end of the day it's all really just sound and fury signifying nothing.
Yes, yes, no, no. ;)

The thing itself is still legally relevant. And morally relevant. And institutionally relevant (21% funding cuts for the IRS since 2010). At the same time, that we are getting to know it now - might very well be partisan politics, or the man having fallen from grace.

If we take into account that this was the decision of the supreme court which should be an independent body - it was those judges, who made the decision.

But personal, or government documents that go 'straight into an archive (/library)' where they are locked away even from freedom of information requests (something a journalist or lawyer would file a claim under to get access to historical records), is a common occurrence - at the same time.

(Not sure how the US supreme court has ruled on those in the past, .. maybe I'll find something...

edit: First google: https://www.justice.gov/oip/blog/supreme-court-set-hear-three-cases-involving-foia)

Last edited by notimp,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If we take into account that this was the decision of the supreme court which should be an independent gremium - it was those judges, who made the decision.
It's a decision they were only willing to hand down once Trump was no longer in office. As long as Republicans are using "unitary executive theory" as a strategy, they have to treat the position of president like it makes a god out of whoever is occupying it, or otherwise lose their ability to continue pushing us down the path toward authoritarianism. That's why we'll probably never see a president convicted in the Senate, regardless of the charges against him and/or the evidence backing those charges.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one