Hardware Misc Others Screen connector fpc, white latch (clip)

gusch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hi,

when replacing the case for my switch and needed to disconnect the screen flex cable, doing so the white clip just came off. After many hours I couldn't get it back in.. I'm really frustrated right now because something like this, is just unnecessary. The case replacement would be in max 30 minutes done but no, this stupid thing needed to fell off.. so do you have any tips to getting it back in? I have tried without the latch, i would just get a blackscreen.

Regards

Attachments

• 20230630_021829.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 20230630_021731.jpg
    20230630_021731.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230630_021723.jpg
    20230630_021723.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
cut one ear out from the white latch, then put it back with the other ear in first then make sure two rolls pin goes into their way.
Post automatically merged:

OR if you have kapton tape, put one lay on the lcd cable side, this case you could cut out both white latch ear and just align the pins and close the latch slowly.

gusch

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
cut one ear out from the white latch, then put it back with the other ear in first then make sure two rolls pin goes into their way.

OR if you have kapton tape, put one lay on the lcd cable side, this case you could cut out both white latch ear and just align the pins and close the latch slowly.

Yeah it's gonna be tricky.. i will try with one ear and if that not gonna work then i will use the kapton tape.
But even with one ear i think, i will a have problem to get it in.
The kapton tape on the golden contacts of the flex cable right?

Im not sure for what the white clip is even here for, for pressure right? When i tried without the latch, I tried to pressure it with my finger but there would be still no screen.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
The purpose of the latch I believe is to raise the pins they usually lay flat. One of the major issues of these type of connectors is when pins get crooked and you insert the ribbon you're pretty much screwed.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had the same problem with an oled, the plastic peice got soft and fell out when soldering emmc. For me I had to cut tabs/ears on both ends of the latch, align slots on the plastic latch with metal pins in the connector, and the latch should slot in with little force. Do not force it in, if you bend pins in the FPC connector it's game over, you have to replace the whole connector. Then install the ribbon cable, lock it in place and stick a piece of kapton tape on top. Also two sides of the latch are different, make sure you aren't installing it upside down.

The latch is there to press metal pins down against the LCD/OLED ribbon cable. If you simply insert the ribbon cable without latching it down, there's little force applied to those metal pins and it will not make good contact with the ribbon cable.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
The kapton tape on the golden contacts of the flex cable right?
On the bottom non-golden pin side, otherwise you block all contact for no reason.

like this, cut out the shape to align the cable accordingly in order to fit in the connector

Attachments

• PXL_20230630_122923929.jpg
    PXL_20230630_122923929.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
Last edited by jkyoho,

Switchart

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Would there be any other "trick" to "force" the pins to connect to the flex cable ?
My latch on the connector (used Switch Lite) is slightly broken and deformed after it fell out.

The screen was working, before it fell off after lifting the latch but I cant seem to put this piece of plastic back, as the tiny plastic is minimally deformed at the top, so that those mini pins wont fit in, or might possibly brake.

If I apply a bit of pressure with my thumb, the screen works. Would ther be any other workaround to "force" those pins toward the flexcable ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one