Misc Secure wireless

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my DS to run on my network. Problem is, I don't want to lower my security to WEP. Back when I lived out in the middle of nowhere, who cared? But I live in an apartment complex, and I don't want to leave my network open for all my neighbors up stairs, down stairs, across the hall, etc. So, how am I supposed to get my DS working with my router?

The only solution I can think of is grab a Nintendo Wi Fi adapter for cheap and use that. Problem is, I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I COULD run a Windows XP Pro 32bit virtual machine and have that running while I want to use my DS, but I really would rather find some way to do this without having to have my computer running, you know? Gotta save on power.

So what have you guys figured out? Or are all of you running on open networks?

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
BenRK said:
Ok, how do you deal with security if you use just WEP?
Oh, I use a complicated password comprised of 26 characters that include both letters and numbers. The letters are of varying case. The whole password was created by typing as much gibberish as I could. Random stuff such as jdoifudsfoia3984804830jfidsoaIUOIUODS32904823JDFkjfdsjeor3224sdfSDFAFds or something. That's much longer than the password I use, and it's not close to what I even use. That's just an example.

Neither I nor Chell could memorize the password, so we have it written down in a locked journal. I keep the key with me at all times, on my keyring. It's a very efficient system.

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora de Eclaune said:
Oh, I use a complicated password comprised of 26 characters that include both letters and numbers. The letters are of varying case. The whole password was created by typing as much gibberish as I could. Random stuff such as jdoifudsfoia3984804830jfidsoaIUOIUODS32904823JDFkjfdsjeor3224sdfSDFAFds or something. That's much longer than the password I use, and it's not close to what I even use. That's just an example.

Neither I nor Chell could memorize the password, so we have it written down in a locked journal. I keep the key with me at all times, on my keyring. It's a very efficient system.

That seems like too much of a hassle when connecting another device, and if someone had a day they could easily use backtrack to get your password. And I though wpa was supported by the ds now.

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
I used to have a USB dongle that I used only for my DS, it had the typical security (gibberish WEP/MAC filtering) and I only had it plugged in when using my DS online, and I kept a window open on my laptop which showed connected clients so I knew if anyone tried anything (after all it should only ever have my DS connected)

Don't go online with my DS anymore so haven't used that setup for a while.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
My adsl modem/wifi router allows me to enable multiple SSIDs - which means I can have multiple networks running from one router; up to 4 if I want, but 2 is enough for my needs.

I've set up one network (WPA2 AES) for all the PCs in my house, and another, completely separate network (WEP) for my DS Lite and 3DS.

I also have a MAC whitelist set up in the router for the WEP network, as well as a 26 character password. If anyone takes the time to crack through all that, I figure they've pretty much earned their internet access.

If the lucky cracker gets too greedy, I can easily disable the WEP network by logging into my router and unticking a checkbox.
Also, the WEP network has no access rights to the router config, so the best an intruder will get is free internet.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WEP and checking DHCP clients every so often (since I need to reset my router remotely daily anyways).

Yeah, if I lived in a city I'd just go without DS wireless or set up a MAC filter and then nix it if I noticed anybody on.

Password complexity for WEP doesn't matter, it's broken.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ok, now I'm going off topic, sorry...

Personally, I find DHCP to be a pain - for some reason, one device always ends up clashing with something else, or port forwarding gets screwed up or... well, you get the point.

To save my sanity, I manually assign IPs on my networked devices, but leave DHCP enabled for visitors, just to save time...

zach12_2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mac filters are almost useless. Sadly, any script kiddy with the proper software can sniff out your mac id. They spoof it on their system and they're in. Wep... we'll wep is just deniable culpability now.

"No, I didn't know people had access to my wifi! How could I have known they'd download all that music on my wireless? I had the network secure!"

Here's a good read:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/ou/the-six-dumbest-ways-to-secure-a-wireless-lan/43

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What kind of internet do you have ?I have a wired internet so i just bought my wireless for DS and Laptop,so whenever i use one of them i turn on the wireless,and when i don't i don't even turn on the wireless.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Heheh