Homebrew Seems Neimod made a little more progress.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nor writing huh?? Does this mean we can rewrite retail games? CPU writing too?? Hardware exploit coming??

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*removed quote*

As far as the development is concerned, this is quite a big step - it's not just filesystem functions and adresses, it's also hardware control, power, SD etc. Testing all these without the capacity to launch unsigned code is not really possible, but if the same result was reached several times during those operations, all I can really say is "Great work, keep it up, RAM god!" because once unsigned code becomes a possibility, those adresses are key to creating first I/O libraries. lib3ds sounds delicious if you ask me.

Reactions: 1 person

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
may i say something that might sound stupid tho...isnt it a bad idea mentioning it?I mean what if Ninty tracks down neim?
i mean look at ps3...hacks where found for newer FW but none of the hackers said a thing due to sony lawsuits?
Maybe the same thing will happen for 3ds? just saying something stupid i know..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It all depends how far Nintendo is ready to go.

Neimod didn't revealed keys (even if it can't be copyrighted), he didn't release any devkit files, he is just documenting, like others documented how wifi is working, how cxi headers are structured, etc.

Nintendo has EULA stating that it's forbidden to do reverse engineering, but you agree to the EULA only if you want to use eshop/online.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nothing terribly EXCITING necessarily, but better documentation of how the 3DS works means the hackers and homebrew developers have something to work with if and when an exploit is found.

You know, kinda like finding the Higgs Boson, it helps to document the Standard Model of physics, and allows us new prospects.

Shin Akuma

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I was reading this, its a bit scary though...I mean what else nintendo would do?
Maybe if you connect in the internet and then Autoupdate? :s

http://www.vooks.net/nintendo-talks-up-wii-u-and-3ds-security-against-hackers-and-piracy/

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember reading a nintendo article (will post source when i find it) stating that nintendo realized its mistakes with security on ds, and knows it is doing exactly what needs to be done on 3ds. When asked what would happen if the 3ds security should fail, Iwata himself said "we are fully prepared to minimize the damage." Now this could just mean a firmware update just like apple does to kill off jailbreaks, or this could mean nintendo has some plans we ,ay not be prepared for as of now. Now we do know they cannot intentionally brick our device, but they can discontinue online services. Other than that, the only other method i see them taking is lawsuits. Or a secret shovelware army...

Reactions: 2 people

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I remember reading a nintendo article (will post source when i find it) stating that nintendo realized its mistakes with security on ds, and knows it is doing exactly what needs to be done on 3ds. When asked what would happen if the 3ds security should fail, Iwata himself said "we are fully prepared to minimize the damage." Now this could just mean a firmware update just like apple does to kill off jailbreaks, or this could mean nintendo has some plans we ,ay not be prepared for as of now. Now we do know they cannot intentionally brick our device, but they can discontinue online services. Other than that, the only other method i see them taking is lawsuits. Or a secret shovelware army...

If I remember correctly, it was on that answers for the investor's questions that happened not long ago..

I think was this one :P
m_q.gif
When my family was enjoying interacting with other players, like people from abroad, with “Animal Crossing” on the Wii, modified data entered our game, and as a result of that we eventually stopped playing. The new “Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori” (Japanese title; for the Nintendo 3DS) will be launched as part of your efforts to expand your network business, but have you considered how you are going to handle and tackle the kind of problem that my family encountered?

m_a.gif
Iwata:
_I deeply regret to learn that you had a very unpleasant experience while playing one of our products, and I would like to apologize for having lacked the ability to prevent it from taking place. What happened, I believe, is that a player circulated such modified data for “Animal Crossing” for the Wii, and meant for it to be a bad joke, only to cause a very unpleasant experience for those who witnessed what these modified data did with their game. To explain why this sort of incident happens, video game platforms are equipped with various security features to prevent unauthorized modifications and acts of piracy to play games for free, and in the beginning, these features were effective on the Nintendo DS and the Wii. However, there are people who share information with others through networks and try to break through security as a hobby, and eventually announce the results of their hacking activities through the Internet, resulting in a vicious cycle in which more people are encouraged to use these unauthorized methods. Once they break through our security, we make an effort to fix the security hole, but this turned out to be a futile cat-and-mouse chase as they quickly managed to make a hole in our security system again. As a result, we have been unable to put a complete halt to the circulation of such modified data.
_In developing the Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS, we recognized that security is an extremely important factor for the sake of our business and in making sure that our consumers feel that playing our products is safe. While some acts of piracy are still possible in its DS-compatibility mode, as we had to ensure that the Nintendo DS software could still be played on the Nintendo 3DS, the Nintendo 3DS itself still maintains a robust security system, even after this much time has passed since its launch. Various attempts have so far been made to compromise the security of the system, but of course, security is like a multilayered fire door. Even if the outermost layer is wrenched half open, as long as there are other layers behind it, I do not believe the system will be hacked in an overly short cycle. Of course, security that is designed by humans is never perfect, but at the same time, should our security fail, we have to come up with a way to update the system. These days, hardware features can be “updated” through a network by downloading a new system itself and replacing the old system with the new one. This does indeed enhance the overall security of the system, but in fact, all of our devices before the Nintendo 3DS had one major problem. They were structured in such a way so that unless the user proactively performed a system update him/herself, the update could never be done.
_Although consumers knew that it was better to perform system updates, many did not perform them, as it was often the case that they were simply never made aware that they were available. As with smartphones, tablets, computers and operating systems, many devices today have an auto-update feature, where updates are automatically downloaded when there is an Internet connection, and put on standby, and a message that says “Updates are available for your system. Would you like to proceed?” appears later before the user finally installs the updates. At the moment the Nintendo 3DS’s security remains robust, but we have prepared ourselves to minimize the damage should our security fail. Please note that, in a sense, we learned a very bitter lesson from the Nintendo DS and the Wii, and we have put it to good use in designing the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse comes to worse we have a situation similar to xbox360/ps3 where you can either be legit and have online or have hacks and whatnot and be stuck offline

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worse comes to worse we have a situation similar to xbox360/ps3 where you can either be legit and have online or have hacks and whatnot and be stuck offline
Exactly, which in the case of the 3ds, may actually be bearable, unless you live for online play.
Who does that with the 3ds? lol Nintendo is the company no one should be afraid of no online play, they have the worst online play system built.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, which in the case of the 3ds, may actually be bearable, unless you live for online play.
Who does that with the 3ds? lol Nintendo is the company no one should be afraid of no online play, they have the worst online play system built.
I rather enjoy mk7 online, as well as resident evil revalations, and kid icarus uprising. Nintendo is getting a bit better at their online service.

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather enjoy mk7 online, as well as resident evil revalations, and kid icarus uprising. Nintendo is getting a bit better at their online service.
They need a full reboot of online services in my opinion, they're making steps but way too slowly.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant argue with you on that one, I think we will see that reboot with miiverse and the better implementation of nintendo network once the wii-u hits shelves. It is said it will be brought to the 3ds as well, so We can hope that will be the reboot it needs. Actually, nintendo network and miiverse could be the way nintendo intends to keep watch over its security...

kingcolex

Joe "Coop" Cooper
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant argue with you on that one, I think we will see that reboot with miiverse and the better implementation of nintendo network once the wii-u hits shelves. It is said it will be brought to the 3ds as well, so We can hope that will be the reboot it needs. Actually, nintendo network and miiverse could be the way nintendo intends to keep watch over its security...
That would make sense but i personally rather have a hacked 3ds than online play, unless it was amazing and a pokemon mmo for 3ds was made. Thats the only way lol.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Except that the PS3 has online again. Although it can't play newer games without overpriced dongles and forced ripping/piracy, which is a homebrew d-d-deal breaker for me. I guess only time will tell with the 3DS.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To all those who are afraid of Neimod getting into trouble:

Unlike in the case of geohot, who uploaded sensitive data in the form of Keys online for everybody to use, Neimod is only documenting physical adresses that given functions utilize. This, in itself, does not lead to hacking the system nor does it allow launching backups, signing applications etc. In fact, it's not even copyrighted content - it's just his personal findings about the system, unlike a Key, which practically is a part of the firmware.

Him saying that the function "Read" uses the Adress XYZ is the equivalent of you saying "This 3DS is red" - it's an observation, nothing more.

It IS useful for the future though, as these adresses, as mentioned before, will be necessary for creating a custom SDK for the system once it's hacked, plus, it may help hackers understand their read-outs.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To all those who are afraid of Neimod getting into trouble:

Unlike in the case of geohot, who uploaded sensitive data in the form of Keys online for everybody to use, Neimod is only documenting physical adresses that given functions utilize. This, in itself, does not lead to hacking the system nor does it allow launching backups, signing applications etc. In fact, it's not even copyrighted content - it's just his personal findings about the system, unlike a Key, which practically is a part of the firmware.

Him saying that the function "Read" uses the Adress XYZ is the equivalent of you saying "This 3DS is red" - it's an observation, nothing more.

It IS useful for the future though, as these adresses, as mentioned before, will be necessary for creating a custom SDK for the system once it's hacked, plus, it may help hackers understand their read-outs.
So having the key is illegal? I thought it wasn't and that was the reason why I thought that the companies kept it well hidden.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So having the key is illegal? I thought it wasn't and that was the reason why I thought that the companies kept it well hidden.
No, it's not illegal at all. It might be considered a "trade secret" by some courts, but AFAIK, no case revolving around a key has ever gone to court (the closest was Geohot, who settled out of court [after promising his followers he would never do such a thing...]), so there's no real case studies to reference here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox +1