SEGA Japan asks for 650 of their employees to voluntarily retire after "extraordinary losses"

segaaaaaaaaa.png

SEGA selling off their arcade business isn't the only bad news for the company. A press release has just announced that due to losses suffered this recent financial quarter SEGA will be asking 650 of its employees to "voluntarily retire". The document states that SEGA is establishing a structural reform to adapt to a post-Covid-19 market, and to offset further losses expected to be reported in their yearly fiscal report, set to be reported in March 2021. While an exact number hasn't been released, SEGA expects to have lost 10 billion yen in losses since the onset of Covid-19 throughout the entire fiscal year. Any workers facing voluntary retirement will be given "extraordinary retirement allowances" and SEGA will help any former employees find new work through reemployment support.

This isn't the only cost-saving measure being taken by the company either, as their executive staff will be facing salary cuts. Any employee above the position of Representative Director or Senior Vice President will see their income cut 10-30%.

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fun fact from Matt McMuscles' Wha' Happun video: after the DC, SEGA was going to bite the dust, but the president of the company they were in debt to decided to cancel their debt on his deathbed.
That's...unusually generous. It's highly doubtful COVID will be this generous, killing a wealthy guy who decides to do the same thing...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I sure do hope that if they get monetary help through stockholding, it won't be from a company that will force console/storefront exclusivity (i.e. another software sided company like Capcom, Level 5 or Bandai). I still want Project Diva and Project Mirai to be a thing.
You forgot Epic Fail, somehow. Have they even worked on their shitty store and launcher, at all? Does it even have a shopping cart?

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Smh these people saying that Microsoft going to buy Sega when Japan has a law that prevent foreign companies buying Japanese companies because to protect national asset
Sigh

I mean it only turned into a japanese company. Sega was originally an american company. And if it is about the japanese selling assets, you are aware that softbank (a japanese company) is looking to sell of ARM right(and ARM is magnitudes more valuable than Sega is)? and last I recall, the japanese government have not stepped in to stop it yet. The Japanese government isn't going to stop all acquisitions.

Last edited by GBADWB,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I hope Sega survives this.
I wouldn't like to see another aquisition, slowly leaving only global players on the market.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
They have more than 650 employees?

That, for me, is a wow factor, considering that SEGA is now mostly a publisher with two or three development departments that don't really do much.

It fails to surprise me, considering the recent flops they put out (Panzer Dragoon being a blunt measure that some games are dead) didn't help. And the hits, were out sourced, like Sonic Mania and Streets of Rage IV.

Point to take, SEGA doesn't know what to do with their own property, relying on others to do their work and keep the company relevant.

I really hope one of these days someone grabs Alex Kid and awakens him. Or I will make a prototype and ask SEGA for permission to develop a full game. Or a Wonder Boy. Shinobi/Shadow Dancer.

Quirky Mafia and Yakuza games, while good, hardly keep the boat afloat.

MaxToTheMax

Officially Ranked 3796th.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everybody talking about MS buying SEGA is forgetting how many games SEGA publishes. A lot of ATLUS and all of the Miku rhythm games to name a few.

American (or even just Microsoft games) published game in the Japanese market have always performed worse than others. I would prefer SEGA to die a fast death rather than MS stepping in.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to ask but what exactly does Sega have to offer in 2020? I mean if this was 1991 it would make sense for a merge but they made so many bad mistakes that they never recovered. Sonic is like Mario it gets pretty old (30 years old) I rather Sega just die with dignity rather than be bought out by Microsoft which would still lead in poor game sales. Or maybe just stick to movies since the last one did well

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I mean it only turned into a japanese company. Sega was originally an american company. And if it is about the japanese selling assets, you are aware that softbank (a japanese company) is looking to sell of ARM right(and ARM is magnitudes more valuable than Sega is)? and last I recall, the japanese government have not stepped in to stop it yet. The Japanese government isn't going to stop all acquisitions.
arm isn't a Japanese company so Softbank selling off one of its foreign assets should not be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter