SEGA reveals the Mega Drive Mini 2, will feature SEGA CD games

A handful of years ago, SEGA released a miniaturized version of its classic Mega Drive, packing in some fan-favorite games that gamers loved from that era of gaming. Three years later, and they're ready to improve upon that, by releasing the Mega Drive Mini 2. Stylized just like the second variant of the Mega Drive, the mini version will offer Sega CD games as well. The throwback console was revealed during a livestream from Sega of Japan, and has no western release confirmed for now. It'll release on October 27th, and will retail for about $75 (¥9,980). The confirmed games are as follows:

Silpheed (SEGA CD)
Shining Force CD (SEGA CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (SEGA CD)
Sonic CD (SEGA CD)
Popful Mail (SEGA CD)
Virtua Racing (Mega Drive)
Bonanza Bros (Mega Drive)
Shining in the Darkness (Mega Drive)
Thunder Force IV (Mega Drive)
Magical Taruto (Mega Drive)
Fantasy Zone (new Mega Drive release)

Notable among these titles is Fantasy Zone, which never actually released for the Mega Drive itself. According to the livestream, this version of the game is a brand new port, and is based on Super Fantasy Zone, which did release on the Mega Drive in 1992.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
What about Sega Saturn ?

Pass. Would bite on a Saturn or Dreamcast mini.

First off, wheres the Sega 32x games? Second, people would of been more hype if it was a Sega Saturn Mini. Sega is wasting their time with the Mega Drive Mini 2.

Saturn is hard to emulate. Even scene emulators are far from perfect. It's a complex system not easily translated to a simple arch. You can't just have cheap hardware and a decent enough experience. I don't thing we'll see a Saturn emulator any time soon. We'll probably fist see a Dreamcast mini than a Saturn one.

PacBunnyXV07

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saturn is hard to emulate. Even scene emulators are far from perfect. It's a complex system not easily translated to a simple arch. You can't just have cheap hardware and a decent enough experience. I don't thing we'll see a Saturn emulator any time soon. We'll probably fist see a Dreamcast mini than a Saturn one.
Or they can just make a smaller sega saturn, it doesn't have to be a console with an emulator. Also excused us for wanting a Saturn Mini and excused us for not thinking that Saturn emulation isn't that good.

Last edited by PacBunnyXV07,

Cris1997XX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or they can just make a smaller sega saturn, it doesn't have to be a console with an emulator. Also excused us for wanting a Saturn Mini and excused us for not thinking that Saturn emulation isn't that good.
What the heck does "a smaller Sega Saturn" mean? The console's hardware was already expensive in 1994, I can't imagine how much it would cost today. Pretty sure some components aren't being made anymore, too. You should aim a bit lower

Reactions: pustal and Kwyjor

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They already said a Saturn Mini is not gonna happen due to reasons already stated. I think DC could potentially come out but it's at least 3 years away.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
How does Sega Saturn compare in the console wars in general. That and Dreamcast are probably the only consoles I didn't experience.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They already said a Saturn Mini is not gonna happen due to reasons already stated. I think DC could potentially come out but it's at least 3 years away.
Three years? Fans have been wanting something of Dreamcast since Sega terminated it. Hopefully next year, at least.

Oh, and with a better controller (always found it a bit flimsy).

How does Sega Saturn compare in the console wars in general. That and Dreamcast are probably the only consoles I didn't experience.
It wasn't too popular compared to the N64 and PS1, but it was a beast of a console to play awesome arcade games. While I'm not nostalgic about Saturn, I did love the covers and the games, and the console had a gorgeous design.

fa790dcebe0c15df67438c6c64ff2b7c-650-80.jpg.webp

That controller kinda sucked, tbh. I preferred the Genesis-eque one.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Mega Drive Mini because of Mega Man The Wily Wars. And that's about tit. I liked Mega Drive CD appearing but the games sucks so I have to skip it, I am afraid.

I don't mind for Sega Saturn Mini thought because I would buy it! I liked some Sega Saturn games.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have Mega Drive Mini because of Mega Man The Wily Wars. And that's about tit. I liked Mega Drive CD appearing but the games sucks so I have to skip it, I am afraid.

I don't mind for Sega Saturn Mini thought because I would buy it! I liked some Sega Saturn games.
Hopefully it's not just these games. Sega CD had a lot of good games, but Sega's poor marketing and Nintendo fanboys buried it.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Astonishing the lack of info here.

It has been annouced to have 50 games total, many more will be revealed over time. ~20 are teased to be Mega CD. At least one will be something never released before.

There is a cosmetic attachment "Tower 2" sold separately adding mini Sega CD 2, Sonic CD and a virtual racer cart.

In an interview Sega rep said that chip shortage is constraining parts so this release is focused on Japan for now. There are "plans" for other regions where the Mini 1 sold much better than Japan but that's going to depend on securing parts, they don't think they can even meet Japanese demand right now. So they sound interested in worldwide release but it could be years off.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the Dreamcast Mini Controller had two analog sticks it'd be great as FPS games would work much smoother with it.

Using buttons to control the camera always felt clunky, imo.

Fingers crossed Sega does it and I'd pre-order soon as possible. :)

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Dreamcast was a flop, so Sega will have to have some persuading to do a DC Mini, but it's not out of the realms of possibility. Saturn Mini though....:lol: That is never gonna happen! Great machine (my fave out of the 3 that gen) but that's some funky architecture you cannot recreate nowadays, certainly not for the price of a Mini, as has already been said.

As for this, good list of games so far! I'll be interested to see what else they put on (some cracking Mega CD games out there), and almost as interested to see what they'll put on for the different regions.. makes me wonder if Nintendo are doing one this year too, can only be Game Boy [Color?] [Advance?] mini if there is ('N64 Mini' is almost as outlandish as a Sega Saturn in all honesty)

EDIT: Sorry, cocked the quote up there, removed!

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now serving number E73
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good, maybe she will leave me the f alone, now I can drink, smoke, and play my games in peace!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol