MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hey there, GBAtemp people!
So, recently, I, and Twitter users LeoArts and BlackKite are attempting to translate the Japan only PS3\PS4 game Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi to English.

The team as of now:
Initiator: Me, Nexu
Graphical editors: LeoArts, Nexu, Me, krifzeiksl, PureRok, Mr.GreM
Translators: BlackKite, mono零, Giritto, Webster, BunniesFromHell, Tengumaru, Google Translate (to an extent), つき, Kumon, sansan
☔
, Ikki
Video Editors:
Coders:
File Managers: Me

Special thanks to @onepiecefreak and @IcySon55 for Kuriimu2 and their amazing help!
And Special thanks to to Kyouma, RyuHayabusa123, and JacksArrow who have helped us with testing and creating solutions for bugs

More thanks to Raindrops and Daydreams for their Interface Translation foundation!
Edit: 03.12.2022
FIRST OFFICIAL RELEASE LET'S GO
DL Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16hUYVRzwWB3ckF3Ey6fEB1F0i6efVB6I?usp=sharing
mega.nz mirror: https://mega.nz/folder/n7wyjQTT#mZegWRYAe0PcWt1hMaLtwg
Installation guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11tn9iMpRIlmgCTPjkFJISpS4WBkDosAlD0bQivzCKhU
Installation guide (video form):

Edit: 21.03.2021
Alrighty, so I've finally figured out how to edit the .arc files as shown here:
unknown.png

YLKeSV3U.jpg:large

Edit 10.06.2020
First Showcase Video!

We can't add subtitles to the cutscenes that aren't prerendered either, however we know it's possible, like Resident Evil 5 has english subtitles in its cutscenes, and Basara 4 Sumeragi and RE5 both use different variations of MT Framework, Capcom's Engine, we just need some help on how we could add and implement subtitles into cutscenes.

Here's a couple of research documents on the game:

We're also seeking out extra translators, Graphics Designers, Coders for adding subtitles do in-engine cutscenes, Video Editors and other people people to help us out in the project

Last edited by MikominMM,

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Quick update: The arc files can be unpacked with RE5 mostly fine but there's still a number of extensions left that are hashes

I suppose here's a list of the hashed extensions I managed to uncover
.242bb29a - .dmg
.62a68441 - .kht
.342366f0 - .kta
.5b9071cf - .loc
.3b5a0da5 - .xdi
.272b80ea - .zpr
.052cce4e - .mef
.03ed3fe7 - .rim
.76042fd2 - .oce
.15d782fb - .rkb
.0cf7fb37 - .msf

ANOTHER Update: When I repack those arc files with arctool with the RE5 Setting, the game crashes when it loads the file

HELP

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Have you tried Kuriimu toolkit?
It supports MT Framework archives and textures, as far as I know.
Use Karameru app to open .arc and Kukkii to open .tex.
Oh really? That's the same app I used to open Fire Emblem Three Houses textures back in the day lmao, I had no idea it could do more than that haha
Thanks a lot for the recommendation! hopefully it can also repack the arcs without having the game crash

Reactions: redunka

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alrighty so, reviving this thread back from the dead I suppose.

So, I have a bit of bad news, turns out the Basara 4\Sanada Yukimura-den .arc files can't be edited yet since they have an HFS encryption layer. Apparently it contains a footer to check its contents for unauthorized changes, so a little bit of work will have to be done to break the encrpytion layer. Shoutouts to the Kuriimu team like @IcySon55 and @onepiecefreak for helping and assisting me out with this journey! Hopefully more progress will arrive rather soon.

And again if you'd like to follow me on this journey of translating and hacking other Sengoku Basara games like Basara 3 on the PS3, you could come over to my Discord server focused on the subject: https://discord.gg/PYEjPsrrhc

onepiecefreak

Kuriimu 2 Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The exact terminology was "checksum", not encryption layer. The file itself is plainly readable. However, a 16-byte footer seems to be a checksum of the files contents. We currently don't know which checksum is used, or if the footer even is a checksum to begin with.
But it's almost certain that this 16-byte footer is the reason why HFS files cannot be edited and work in-game.

Reactions: MikominMM

SilverDen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Really excited to see this game getting some love!

Are you working on the PS3 or PS4 version? Or are the files interchangeable? Have no idea how this works :D

Also, will you be translating the Story or are you aiming for this to be a menu only translation? I already destroyed the game in Japanese, wouldn't mind following the story, though.

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Really excited to see this game getting some love!

Are you working on the PS3 or PS4 version? Or are the files interchangeable? Have no idea how this works :D

Also, will you be translating the Story or are you aiming for this to be a menu only translation? I already destroyed the game in Japanese, wouldn't mind following the story, though.

"Or are the files interchangeable?"
Hmmm, good question, I think they are, we're working on the PS3 Version rn since it's more accessible, like it works fully on an emulator, and hacked PS3s are readily available without much hassle, but porting the changes to PS4 shouldn't be hard, the only differences that I'm aware of between those two are button prompts.

"Also, will you be translating the Story or are you aiming for this to be a menu only translation?"
Right now, it's menu\UI only, but when we get the ability to add subtitles to ingame cutscenes, the ability to edit the gmd text files, and a proper active translator or multiple, then we'll go full speed on story translations

Reactions: SilverDen

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Bought this for my brother on PS3 yesterday before PSN shuts down forever, was looking for menu guides to help him play the game. He never cares about the story anyway in 1 and 3, he just likes hitting people. Not sure if he will still be playing the game when this is done, but if he is, I'll look at adding it to the hacked PS3.

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright, so, progress update, options menus are now completed in the graphical category
And progress is going slow and steady atm, we just need more graphical editors and translators to help us out
screenshot-2021_04_20_21_24_29.png
screenshot-2021_04_20_21_24_35.png
screenshot-2021_04_20_21_24_41.png
screenshot-2021_04_20_21_24_44.png
screenshot-2021_04_20_21_24_50.png

And, a little information on how this patch will be released:
It'll be split into 3 stages:
1st one will be released when all of the UI and names graphics will be translated
1.5th one will be released when all of the UI and names text will be translated
2nd one will be released when all the stage UI graphics will be translated
2.5th one will be released when all the stage text will be translated
3rd one will be released when all of the dialogue + story, and prerendered cutscenes will be translated and subbed (maybe split into individual character stages)
and 3.5th one will be released when all rendered cutscenes will be translated and subbed

GFK96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome! Thank you so much for all the hard work you’re doing. I adore this game and always wished there was an English version.

I would love to help if I could. I just don’t know any programming or Japanese, so I’m not sure how much help I’d be :/

But I’m rooting for you guys and hope you guys can pull this off, I would be so grateful

GFK96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I may ask a question though, will this English version be compatible with the PS4 version of the game? And if so, how will it work? Meaning, if I have the game on PS4, how do I download this update so that the game is then in English?

Sorry I’m just not that tech savvy so I’m not sure what the process will look like or how difficult it will be.

MikominMM

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I may ask a question though, will this English version be compatible with the PS4 version of the game? And if so, how will it work? Meaning, if I have the game on PS4, how do I download this update so that the game is then in English?

Sorry I’m just not that tech savvy so I’m not sure what the process will look like or how difficult it will be.

There'll be a separate patch for the PS4 version of the game done when at least one PS3 stage of the translation is finished

"how do I download this update so that the game is then in English?" You gotta have a hacked PS4, version 7.55 or below, and you gotta install the pkg update file so that the game can be in Englsih

Reactions: GFK96

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto