Hacking Sharing of some experience going from 9.5.0 to 11.0.0 to 9.2.0

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi Tempers!

Now that I've successfully gone from 9.5.0 to 9.2.0 on my friends New 3DSEUR, I thought I would share some things I experienced while doing this. First of all a big thanks to all devs the for their great work!

Now, for a quick background history. My friend had a N3DS on 9.5.0 E, and I tried to do the downgrade to 9.2.0, but sadly I ended up with the Nintendo error screen, so I did what I could (as far as I know) and went into the recovery menu and updated to 11.0.0. Luckily, I had my own N3DS on 11.0.0 with A9lH. I therefore did my homework and started with the DSiware Fieldrunners exploit. I'm going to list what I've found out, but I do take note that I might've misunderstood something.

My first point to anyone doing this is that if you want to keep your NNID then there are several obvious things that you can't do, I believe. First off, you lose your NNID on the source 3DS (the one with a9lh) if you format it. Secondly, you lose it to the other 3DS when you do the transfer. Some say that you can therefore setup a dummy NNID on the source 3ds so that you can just go back to your own NNID by doing a sysnand restore, this did not work for me, and I believe it didn't work for others either (which I now see that it's very obvious since you have to format your system to create the dummy, and therefore telling Nintendo to kill that NNID). The best way is therefore to do the system transfer and wait a week before doing the transfer back again, and creating a new NNID on the target system when it has a9lh. You can also call Nintendo to try and make them fix it.

My second point is concerning a problem I encountered after a successful 9.2.0 downgrade, basically my system wouldn't boot with the SD card inserted. Okay, no problem, I can just boot with it ejected. This works.. Until I insert the SD card and the Homemenu freezes. After a bit of head scratching and searching on the web, I decide to insert the 4GB sd card that came with the 3DS, this worked, and it works while being inserted before boot as well. Now, the SD I was using was a 32GB SanDisk Ultra I, which is exactly the same type I used when I did the whole a9lh on my n3ds 9.0.0eur, and it is also the one I saw many here recommended. I do not know what caused this. I can only think of the 32GB sd card as either being faulty, or that the fact that my friend has a Samsung NAND and I've got a Toshiba NAND makes a difference when it comes to SD cards (does Samsung have something against SanDisk? :rofl:).

For now that's what I've got and I hope it can be of use to others in the same situation.

Edit: I can add that I got the idea to try to restore the NNID by doing a system restore from this video guide:

Last edited by Zense,

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
First off, you lose your NNID on the source 3DS (the one with a9lh) if you format it. Secondly, you lose it to the other 3DS when you do the transfer. Some say that you can therefore setup a dummy NNID on the source 3ds so that you can just go back to your own NNID by doing a sysnand restore, this did not work for me, and I believe it didn't work for others either (which I now see that it's very obvious since you have to format your system to create the dummy, and therefore telling Nintendo to kill that NNID).
Not saying it'll work but I don't see why it wouldn't, so that's why I ask since maybe you have all the requirements to try.
But isn't that possible?
  • your source 3DS has a NNID. You make a NAND backup
  • you format (so you lose it), create a dummy, do your thing for the other 3DS, the source gets formatted and you lose that dummy NNID too
  • now you do NOT restore the source backup, but you actually link your source 3DS to your old NNID again
  • and now only you restore the source backup

Reactions: Zense

Zense

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Not saying it'll work but I don't see why it wouldn't, so that's why I ask since maybe you have all the requirements to try.
But isn't that possible?
  • your source 3DS has a NNID. You make a NAND backup
  • you format (so you lose it), create a dummy, do your thing for the other 3DS, the source gets formatted and you lose that dummy NNID too
  • now you do NOT restore the source backup, but you actually link your source 3DS to your old NNID again
  • and now only you restore the source backup
That is actually a very good idea and I'm almost sure that would work, even though it's all very cumbersome. For me it wasn't a big deal since I didn't have anything of value connected to my NNID. I can probably try this when I'm done getting a9lh on this guy's 3ds.

Edit: Actually when thinking of it, I believe I could do this on my own n3ds in order to restore my NNID on it. Basically I would just have to do a system format again, and then choose to link an existing NNID to it, which would be my old NNID, and then the system restore. Either way it doesn't hurt trying. Thanks again for the tip!:toot:

Edit 2: Sadly that didn't work for me, but I'm thinking it might've happened because I had already tried to log on to the NNID after a sysNAND restore. I guess I'll just have to make a new NNID now.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Hayleia

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol