Shooting takes place at Florida gaming tournament

IMG_0680.JPG

Today, a Madden NFL 19 gaming tournament took place in Jacksonville Florda. Sadly, it appears a shooting occurred at the event, leading to four currently confirmed deaths. One of the competitors, Drini Gjoka claimed that they fled the area, and was grazed by a bullet while the shooter was active. Jacksonville's Police Department have stated that a shooting did happen, but have not explained any further details at this time, while also telling citizens to stay away from The Landing, where the tragedy took place. The tournament was a qualifier event, which was officially backed by EA Sports. At the time of writing, there are a total of 11 victims. A potential suspect was found dead at the scene.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

:arrow: Source 2: Twitter

:arrow: Source 3: Local News Outlet

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not sure where you get your stats from, but your sentence kind of reads like a joke, the kind of "I didn't make you fall, I just left my leg there and you tripped over it /LOL".
Some people just drank way too much "American Dream" Kool Aid. No matter what everything in the US is OK and when something happens is because of those filthy migrants!!!
A few days ago he posted this,
205_214884.jpg

Because one kid was killed by a migrant, yet he fails to post about the rest of the people that's killed daily by "Native Americas" IE saxons who went there and took the land from the real americans...

I wonder why he was stopped??? and if they were afraid they had a weapons, why they had their weapons unholstered, like they do when they suspesct someone has a weapon???

Like i said to much hatred going on, too much racism and violence. Yet then we have to hear their president call every single country a shithole and hear how they are the only ones with freedom.
Then we have to see this type of sad news, where some people just went to play some games and did end death...

Last edited by WildDog,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps he believes that illegal immigration's costs aren't worth the benefits it brings and should be curtailed, just like many people here believe that the costs that guns bring aren't worth their benefits. That he draws those lines differently than you doesn't mean he isn't genuine.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people just drank way too much "American Dream" Kool Aid. No matter what everything in the US is OK and when something happens is because of those filthy migrants!!!
205_214884.jpg

Because one kid was killed by a migrant, yet he fails to post about the rest of the people that's killed daily by "Native Americas" IE saxons who went there and took the land from the real americans...

I wonder why he was stopped??? and if they were afraid they had a weapons, why they had their weapons unholstered, like they do when they suspesct someone has a weapon???

Like i said to much hatred going on, too much racism and violence. Yet then we have to hear their president call every single country a shithole and hear how they are the only ones with freedom.
Then we have to see this type of sad news, where some people just went to play some games and did end death...

I just wanted to say that that political cartoon is in horrible taste and that politicizing the death of a human being to push immigration reform is no better than what most of you accuse people who want gun control to do.

Also there is a difference between a human being and a weapon. Yes a human can kill people but a weapon exists ONLY to kill.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
205_214884.jpg

You do realize that "Native Americans" migrated here, right? It was a long ass time ago, but they aren't exactly more "native" to this land than the Europeans who migrated here.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also there is a difference between a human being and a weapon. Yes a human can kill people but a weapon exists ONLY to kill.

Tell that to my kitchen knife.

0scar64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I start, I was in school in Colorado during Columbine, I've had relatives killed by guns, and I've worked at a skidrow pawn shop that sold guns as well.

As for background checks, they work just fine and block people who shouldn't have them. One big problem is prosecution. If someone is denied they can't purchase and it's forwarded to the Feds I believe, from what I've heard and seen they don't bother to prosecute. Furthermore, gun dealers can deny even if the background check clears and they do.

Working at a skidrow pawn shop, I dealt with the police everyday regarding stolen items and helping them trace stuff etc. Criminals steal. Ban private ownership of firearms? Well criminals will and have stolen police and military firearms quite often in my experience...

Mental health is a definite issue and tricky one too. Had a relative that was never quite right and eventually stole a gun and killed several others before killing himself. Those closest to him had at least several years to do something but didn't when it got really bad. Just ignored it. Once the rest of the family learned how bad it was, many chose to protect themselves with a gun.

The other big issue along with mental health is the media IMO. Absolutely glorifies violence by focusing on the perpetrator.

How many "famous" killers can you name?

Now how many victims can you name?

I'd be curious to see what would happen if the media ignored the perpetrator and focused on the victims...

Reactions: Kioku

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except you can't force this on private sellers, which makes your point moot. Anyone can come off the street into a gun show, and walk out with anything without any sort of background check. You wanna control guns? Make the ammunition super difficult to obtain. They're kinda useless without that, and that'd be much easier to regulate than guns themselves.
Sure you can, you arrest the private seller as an accomplice to the crime if their gun was used in one and they didn't administer a full background check. I feel like THE only reason we still have problems with people stealing/buying guns and killing themselves and/or others is because we as a society, for some reason, have been afraid of punishing the original owners for lack of basic fucking common sense when storing or selling a piece of equipment who's only intended purpose is ultimately to forcibly remove bullet-sized pieces of flesh from people and animals

Also, please give me sources for your claim that America has 'regular mass shootings'. Like what does that even mean?
Using the definition of "a shooting with four or more casualties": http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/query/0484b316-f676-44bc-97ed-ecefeabae077

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Not sure where you get your stats from, but your sentence kind of reads like a joke, the kind of "I didn't make you fall, I just left my leg there and you tripped over it /LOL".
I don't see what's confusing about it. Black Americans are less likely to be killed during an encounter with the police, but they have more encounters. They're also more likely to be treated rough, but ultimately, less likely to be shot dead.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/...police-use-of-force-but-not-in-shootings.html

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You do realize that "Native Americans" migrated here, right? It was a long ass time ago, but they aren't exactly more "native" to this land than the Europeans who migrated here
When the real native americans migrated they were the first to move.. When the "US native" moved there, the natives have been there for a long long long time.
Then the US killed them...
And now you complaing about a Mexican how is more native to the North of America than the "true american" who is more british and irish than anything else.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When the real native americans migrated they were the first to move.. When the "US native" moved there, the natives have been there for a long long long time.
Then the US killed them...
And now you complaing about a Mexican how is more native to the North of America than the "true american" who is more british and irish than anything else.
He didn't say a single thing about Mexicans in his comment. You're projecting things onto him that he isn't saying. That's not arguing in good faith.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The argument of "land-grabbing" is a silly one as Native Americans, by and large, had no concept of land ownership. There were no countries that the colonisers "invaded", they simply settled on the land and either bought it from the natives or fought for it. I'm not dismissing the great harm done to Native American tribes, but I'm not entirely sure what colonisation or immigration have to do with the thread, it's off-topic discussion. At the end of the day Americans established a sovereign state and that state has borders - you don't get to enter it unless you're welcome and you have no inherent right to reside in the U.S. if you're not a citizen.

Reactions: Tarmfot

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The argument of "land-grabbing" is a silly one as Native Americans, by and large, had no concept of land ownership. There were no countries that the colonisers "invaded", they simply settled on the land and either bought it from the natives.
Ah i see that's why they coexist in peace.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah i see that's why they coexist in peace.
I also want to point out that Mexicans are not Native Americans - large sections of the population are Spaniards, they're intermixed with Native Americans just like Americans are. The entire continent is a melting pot, the majority of the population that lived there prior to colonisation died out due to disease which was an unfortunate consequence of contact with European pathogens.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that "Native Americans" migrated here, right? It was a long ass time ago, but they aren't exactly more "native" to this land than the Europeans who migrated here.

Tell that to my kitchen knife.

Your kitchen knife wasn't designed to be a weapon and wouldn't even be effective as one in that context but knives are used to kill people so I don't see how you can even make that argument. It is a weapon. Its original purpose was to kill.

We don't regulate knives because there's not mass stabbings going on right now and certainly not with kitchen knives.

I also love the argument that guns are the only way to ensure freedom and then the same people argue that without guns people would just use bombs which invalidates their earlier point.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's quite funny. Well-spotted, I'll have to comb through my posts, for whatever reason the misspelling shows up in my predictive text on mobile. Foiled by Android yet again, thanks Google. As for your second quote, it's a perfectly correct sentence, but I added some extra quotation marks to improve legibility a little bit since it is quite hard to follow.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anybody tell me any pros of the Government allowing guns?
To reduce excessive animal populations during their respective hunting seasons and to protect yourself.

America is a sh*tshow in general. If i were a foreigner i'd never move here.
I would rather live in usa than dominican republic. At least someone would hear you scream in usa when you're murdered. Guns are not easy to find in dominican republic outside of pistols. In the boonies, your best weapon is likely a machete.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: Foxi4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The argument of "land-grabbing" is a silly one as Native Americans, by and large, had no concept of land ownership. There were no countries that the colonisers "invaded", they simply settled on the land and either bought it from the natives or fought for it.
I'd love for you to try to present that argument to someone living on a Native American reservation today

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why you'd make this a race thing all of a sudden, but even assuming that was the case, black people are statistically less likely to be shot by law enforcement in an engagement, they simply have more engagements with the police since black neighbourhoods are more strictly policed.
I wasn't specifically referring to blacks. Say a group of Muslim-Americans had shown up in public armed to the teeth and they moved to occupy a federal building. Do you really think any of them would still be alive today? And would the media have danced around the term, or would they have been called terrorists outright?

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd love for you to try to present that argument to someone living on a Native American reservation today

What??? Reservation?? why they need to be protected like wild animals??
After all they are the best friend with the "US Native".....
Foxie4 seems he/she drank too much "American Dream" kool-aid

Last edited by WildDog,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.