Shooting takes place at Florida gaming tournament

IMG_0680.JPG

Today, a Madden NFL 19 gaming tournament took place in Jacksonville Florda. Sadly, it appears a shooting occurred at the event, leading to four currently confirmed deaths. One of the competitors, Drini Gjoka claimed that they fled the area, and was grazed by a bullet while the shooter was active. Jacksonville's Police Department have stated that a shooting did happen, but have not explained any further details at this time, while also telling citizens to stay away from The Landing, where the tragedy took place. The tournament was a qualifier event, which was officially backed by EA Sports. At the time of writing, there are a total of 11 victims. A potential suspect was found dead at the scene.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

:arrow: Source 2: Twitter

:arrow: Source 3: Local News Outlet

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am not playing your game anymore, I know what you are doing and that you are trying to control the conversation in your favor through strawman arguments. I never said anything along those lines, but you are the one choosing the distort my statements in an attempt to make me look like I am advocating for a blanket ban on guns. Other countries still have guns, what they don't have is guns like handguns and AR-15s. Other countries have better background checks, mental screenings, and training before the person can get a gun. Other countries don't have regular mass shootings because of these regulations. I won't admit shit because you are making it up to make me look bad.
I'm not playing any games at all. My assumption was that you are advocating for a blanket ban since that's the de facto state of matters in the "other" countries you're referring to, presumably European ones. I can assure you that you can purchase rifles like the AR-15 in Europe, as well as handguns (although some countries, like the UK banned them entirely), providing you have the appropriate permits, which you probably won't get since in most places the law is expressly designed to be a complicated system of ropes and pulleys that deny applications. In my home country I definitely wouldn't be able to get one unless I was "good friends" with the local PD, and I mean a financial friend, and corruption is not my game. I'm also not sure what you even mean by "not like handguns or AR-15", there's not a lot out there that wouldn't be either a handgun or a rifle. Do you mean shotguns? I genuinely don't know. There's nothing scary about an AR-15 - it's a modular semi-automatic rifle platform like dozens of others, its only crime is that it's popular and it's popular because it's good and cheap. In the UK for instance the Beretta ARX 160 is a popular "AR-like" civilian rifle, there's nothing particularly wrong with it either.

http://www.beretta.com/en/arx160/

Seems like the whole thing got dismissed based on something the government prosecutors did wrong. Possibly on purpose given that the government was being run by Trump when it went to trial. So I guess it's a "win" based on a technicality and a changing political climate that allows for bending or altogether breaking laws, but the ends still don't justify the means. Not to mention one of their buddies got shot up and killed by the feds after pulling a weapon on them during the occupation period. The remaining dipshits will have to live with that for the rest of their lives.
A win's a win. You're thinking of LaVoy Finicum, he was a genuine idiot and I'm not surprised he got shot - you don't taunt federal agents to shoot you while reaching for a gun, that's not standing your ground anymore.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not playing any games at all. My assumption was that you are advocating for a blanket ban since that's the de facto state of matters in the "other" countries you're referring to, presumably European ones. I can assure you that you can purchase rifles like the AR-15 in Europe, as well as handguns, providing you have the appropriate permits, which you probably won't get since in most places the law is expressly designed to be a complicated system of ropes and pulleys that deny applications. In my home country I definitely wouldn't be able to get one unless I was "good friends" with the local PD, and I mean a financial friend, and corruption is not my game. I'm also not sure what you even mean by "not like handguns or AR-15", there's not a lot out there that wouldn't be either a handgun or a rifle. Do you mean shotguns? I genuinely don't know. There's nothing scary about an AR-15 - it's a modular semi-automatic rifle platform like dozens of others, its only crime is that it's popular and it's popular because it's good and cheap. In the UK for instance the Beretta ARX 160 is a popular "AR-like" civilian rifle, there's nothing particularly wrong with it either.

http://www.beretta.com/en/arx160/

A win's a win. You're thinking of LaVoy Finicum, he was a genuine idiot and I'm not surprised he got shot - you don't taunt federal agents to shoot you while reaching for a gun, that's not standing your ground anymore.
I've been talking about counties like Japan and Australia. You can buy and own guns in both countries, but it comes with strick regulations that have been proven to work in those countries. Law abiding citizens still get their guns for sport, hunting, etc.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've been talking about counties like Japan and Australia. You can buy and own guns in both countries, but it comes with strick regulations that have been proven to work in those countries. Law abiding citizens still get their guns for sport, hunting, etc.
I'm not keen on comparisons with Japan simply because Japanese culture as a whole is very different from American culture, or even Western culture in general. As for Australia, they're a very insular society and it's not immediately obvious that the gun "ban" or the buy-back programme had any effect as statistically the rates of gun crime were already declining before the legislation was implemented. Again, worth noting, Australians are rapidly re-arming themselves in recent years, so there's that. Besides, in both cases you're sort of diminishing your own argument. You're telling me that there are cultures out there that have access to guns and aren't committing mass shootings, which really roast my almonds because that's exactly what the gun lobby is saying. The regulations "are working" [Citation Needed] in those counties, but that doesn't mean they'll work elsewhere.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You're thinking of LaVoy Finicum, he was a genuine idiot and I'm not surprised he got shot
They're all genuine idiots and I'm surprised they didn't all get shot, that would've been an understandable response to their actions. The feds gave them a lot of leeway that probably wouldn't have been afforded to them if their skin color was anything other than white.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sad.

Yes, I mean it, "sad", that's the only thing I wanted to say, and this whole sentence down here is only to bypass the "not one word only" post rule, just that, I guess you can ignore this line completely, just read the "Sad." above.

D

Deleted User

Yes, you should, and I'm a gun advocate. Not for your sake, mind - anyone can attempt suicide if they put their mind to it, that's beyond our control. What is in our control is gun ownership, and I firmly believe that if you're mentally unstable, a gun is the last thing you need - you'd pose a danger to others, no offense. I wish you well on your road to recovery though - life is worth living, I'm sure you have friends here on the Temp, and finding a therapist might help too if you have trouble opening up.

I get what you mean, making a dirty bomb to destroy my life and the lives of others would take weeks of preparation, it's not something I can pull out in a moment of weakness.

But that's where my agreement with you ends. It's just a fundamental value I have, I deserve the right to self-defense.

I am not playing your game anymore, I know what you are doing and that you are trying to control the conversation in your favor through strawman arguments. I never said anything along those lines, but you are the one choosing the distort my statements in an attempt to make me look like I am advocating for a blanket ban on guns. Other countries still have guns, what they don't have is guns like handguns and AR-15s. Other countries have better background checks, mental screenings, and training before the person can get a gun. Other countries don't have regular mass shootings because of these regulations. I won't admit shit because you are making it up to make me look bad.

Other countries don't have mass shootings because they have dirty bombs.

Also, please give me sources for your claim that America has 'regular mass shootings'. Like what does that even mean?

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I get what you mean, making a dirty bomb to destroy my life and the lives of others would take weeks of preparation, it's not something I can pull out in a moment of weakness.

But that's where my agreement with you ends. It's just a fundamental value I have, I deserve the right to self-defense.

Everyone, everywhere in the world, has the right to self-defense.

In America however, self-defense means owning rifles, handguns, semi-automatic weapons, and bazookas. And if you do your paperwork right, I'm pretty sure you can get a small Tank or an Anti-Aircraft Battery too (in case an evil wasp finds its way into your backyard).

Last edited by WhiteMaze,
Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA
D

Deleted User

Everyone, everywhere in the world, has the right to self-defense.

In America however, self-defense means owning rifles, handguns, semi-automatic weapons, and bazookas. And if you do your paperwork right, I'm pretty sure you can get a small Tank or an Anti-Aircraft Battery too.

sorry, looks like I misworded myself. I meant I have a right to arms.

Btw, what's wrong with Semis? I get not allowing people tanks and AABs

(which is a compromise, I think you have the right to own whatever the hell you want:wacko:, but I get that you don't need a tank for defense),

but semi-automatic and rifle weapons are incredibly useful for home and business defense in dangerous neighbourhoods.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
While i live in the Netherlands, i'm not dutch. My home coutries when it comes to weapons has laws that are similar to the US. Been a gun owner (in my home country not NL), since i was 18. Never did a massacre neither my friends or their friends..
On a side note for those who say getting a fully automatic weapon in the US is hard or not possible, LOL... While it's true that getting a full auto that was made after 1986 is a big NOOOO by BATFE. You can still make your own using parts you can buy in gun store..
Example:
The Glock 17 (the gun i carry with my in my home country). It's cheap, accurate and most important reliable. Retail price in the US about 500 something, for about another 100 you can get an Auto sear..
Now let's go to news favourite "Evil" black rifle... The AR15.
Wnat one that's full auto?
You only need
- BCG that's ready for full auto (90 US retail price)
- Full auto trigger group (about 150 US retail complete)
- Upper of your liking (from 300 to 1000 depending components)
- 80% lower (from 50 us to 200), the another 100 to mill the rest of the lower and you get a lower that can take your full auto trigger group
-Rest of the parts (buffer spring, buffer tube, etc another 200)
All those parts can be bought legally in a lot of retail places, in fact it's the cheaper way to use an AR15 that's Semi and full auto. Have quite a lot friends in the US, that did that.
Yet neither of them who owns this type of AR-15 among other weapons went and did a massacre.
Firearms are not the issue, they are just a tool. If they were not there legally, they would get it illegal or even use home made weapons which can be as dangerous.
There is really a mental health issue going on there. Incels, radicals, violent antifa, violent racist, it seems it's a nest for hatred that ends in deaths.

Reactions: Deleted User

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And this is why I would never go live in the USA. I don't want to sound offensive, but there simply are a lot of things there which are a big no-no for me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also who's waiting for almost all the media to point fingers at violent video games and say that they're the fault and all the usual shit? Cmon, we all know it's going to happen

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What the fuck is wrong with America?
Here in Poland we have one of the most less restrictive gun laws in Europe and the number of shootings is marginal, so i can't see how it's connected to this wave of shootings in USA. The source of the problem must be somewhere, but blanket ban on all guns is simply not an answer and just scapegoating the actual problem.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I don't want to debate about this, been there, done that countless times here. Just sad to see that there is still some people thinking there's nothing wrong with the whole weapon thing in the US after that many shootings. And I live in a country with a greater firearm per inhabitant ratio (military grade firearm) than the US.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't want to debate about this, been there, done that countless times here. Just sad to see that there is still some people thinking there's nothing wrong with the whole weapon thing in the US after that many shootings. And I live in a country with a greater firearm per inhabitant ratio (military grade firearm) than the US.

That's a good example why, firearms are NOT the issue, there are lot of weapons in switzerland, you have SIG one of the most famous gun maker, that mostly makes military weapons from the Sig P2XX, 20XX to rifles like the Sig SG55X family to the SG516 family and now they are making AR 15 derivates. Yet when was the last time a swiss person went to a tournament and started shooting people???
It's a mental issue, if it was A DC Comic. The US would be the Red Lantern HQ.... Most of the sub culture that spawn from there is just based in hate for something or someone, that's not healthy at all.

Last edited by WildDog,

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I love how GBAtemp is full of Left sided nut cases who want to take away freedoms that we've had for years. There's no reason to take them away. Sure, the instances where guns for self defense are not needed are becoming slim; but still. Having a weapon is a good comfort. It at least gives you confidence to ensure one's safety in a situation. For example, there have been instances where (personally family) have had to pull guns on people attempting to rob them. Sometimes people have pulled knives on family that are in their car, of course naturally, my family member would pull a gun on the attacker. So, who wins? The guy with a knife, or my family member with a gun. You don't need to shoot an attacker to get them to run away. They simply need to know that you have control of the situation; and pointing a loaded weapon is usually enough.

But truly, it's sickening for this whole situation. And surprise surprise!~ This shit has been happening for decades folks! This is no new subject matter, and it won't stop anytime soon. The only reason that it 'seems' like it's happening more often, is because people are now paying more attention to the minority of violence. Yes, shootings are the minority. There are many more instances where gun violence is present. People need to stop being so blind, and start looking at a bigger picture, Will, logically, getting rid of all types of weapons for a US citizen truly help? There is the higher chance that criminals will simply buy them off the black market; and if you think it's difficult these days? You're quite wrong.

Last edited by Dr.Hacknik,
Reactions: Kigiru

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That's a good example why, firearms are NOT the issue, there are lot of weapons in switzerland, you have SIG one of the most famous gun maker, that mostly makes military weapons from the Sig P2XX, 20XX to rifles like the Sig SG55X family to the SG516 family and now they are making AR 15 derivates. Yet when was the last time a swiss person went to a tournament and started shooting people???
It's a mental issue, if it was A DC Comic. The US would be the Red Lantern HQ.... Most of the sub culture that spawn from there is just based in hate for something or someone, that's not healthy at all.

Yes, my point exactly, it's not about how many people have weapons, it's who and how they got them. That's why there should be background checks and training for people who have guns, and forbid the use to people underage, and a no gun policy in public area. That's a few things that can be done IMHO.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to defend such a horrible situation with general crime percentage, is not only despicable, but also very disturbing to hear. This is exactly the horrific type of mentality that has driven the United States to the current situation.

This is a massive problem, seen only in the USA, yet it refuses to change its gun policies while people keep dying.

With all that said, I hope you change your mindset soon. Peace.

EDIT: I've calmed down.
I was refuting that guy's claim, not stating that I see no problem with the current situation. I have my own thoughts on what should be done to combat gun violence, I simply have not posted them here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
They're all genuine idiots and I'm surprised they didn't all get shot, that would've been an understandable response to their actions. The feds gave them a lot of leeway that probably wouldn't have been afforded to them if their skin color was anything other than white.
I don't know why you'd make this a race thing all of a sudden, but even assuming that was the case, black people are statistically less likely to be shot by law enforcement in an engagement, they simply have more engagements with the police since black neighbourhoods are more strictly policed.

Other countries don't have mass shootings because they have dirty bombs.

Also, please give me sources for your claim that America has 'regular mass shootings'. Like what does that even mean?
You absolutely deserve the right to self-defense, it's just that self-defense is not your priority due to your mental state. If you were blind I wouldn't be keen on giving you a weapon either, it's about mental and physical capability, not about your rights.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't know why you'd make this a race thing all of a sudden, but even assuming that was the case, black people are statistically less likely to be shot by law enforcement in an engagement, they simply have more engagements with the police since black neighbourhoods are more strictly policed.
Not sure where you get your stats from, but your sentence kind of reads like a joke, the kind of "I didn't make you fall, I just left my leg there and you tripped over it /LOL".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ