Shooting takes place at Florida gaming tournament

IMG_0680.JPG

Today, a Madden NFL 19 gaming tournament took place in Jacksonville Florda. Sadly, it appears a shooting occurred at the event, leading to four currently confirmed deaths. One of the competitors, Drini Gjoka claimed that they fled the area, and was grazed by a bullet while the shooter was active. Jacksonville's Police Department have stated that a shooting did happen, but have not explained any further details at this time, while also telling citizens to stay away from The Landing, where the tragedy took place. The tournament was a qualifier event, which was officially backed by EA Sports. At the time of writing, there are a total of 11 victims. A potential suspect was found dead at the scene.

:arrow: Source: Twitter

:arrow: Source 2: Twitter

:arrow: Source 3: Local News Outlet

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No it's not and I'm not talking about eliminating every single firearms, I'm talking about doing a through background check and maintaining a registry... just common sense. What's the main reason why someone will break into your house with a weapon? To steal your stuff ... what is more dangerous, pulling out a gun, or letting him take your stuff without threatening him, then call your insurance company and get brand new things? You're way more likely to get shot by pulling out a gun against a desperate man who also has one.
The issue with that, is that you don't know the intention of the theft.. He may just want to take your stuff and leave you, or he may want to hurt or kill as well.
I know you are from Canada, that's why i put the marstar.ca example, but since i read your post that you are not against banning but making better background checks. I do agree with you on that.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Why wasn't this announced immediately as a terrorist attack?
Because it's easier to repeat the thoughts and prayers cycle if we avoid the issues.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you're going to do is hurt your own cause if you use rhetoric like that. The NRA doesn't even spend that much money compared to quite a few other interest groups for that matter.
The NRA is quite literally the reason that all US gun registration is done on paper; they managed to convince the Supreme Court (read: paid a shitton of money on lawyers) that a searchable digitized database was unconstitutional

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Don't want to sound insensitive but is the killer going to be made out as lone wolf or has mental illness?
Depends on their race

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I really hate when shootings like these happen because, as tragic as they are, they're immediately repurposed as ammunition for the anti-2nd Amendment crowd, even before the blood is dry and the bodies cold. Every single day I keep hearing that mass shootings are now part and parcel of American life when in reality violent crime across the board is at an all-time low. In fact, once you factor in that most "mass shootings" are inner city gang violence using illegal guns and not what the average person understands as a mass shooting, as in a maniac shooting random people, your likelihood of ever being in one becomes slightly higher than that of being hit by lightning. This thread is no different - it only took a handful of replies before the big question was asked. The actual question being posed is "what is the cost of freedom?", not "why do people need guns?" - self-preservation is a natural instinct and self-defense is an inalienable right, people must pursue it unrestricted if they are to be free. Tyranny is always preceeded by confiscation of arms as only an unarmed populace is docile. Americans are one of the few nations that still have their inalienable rights and I hope they retain them, as heartbreaking as this kind of news is. There will always be crazy, evil people out there, but law must be tailored to the majority, not the exceptions.

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you dipshits talking about "too soon" should look at the history of mass shootings in this country and you'll see EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. there's some idiot talking about "It's too soon" "the bodies aren't even cold yet" and they repeat that until the next fucking shooting and then we reset the "too soon" timer once again. It's not too fucking soon, it's too fucking late.

funny how it's never "too soon" if the shooter is black or brown.

RIP to the murdered, wishing a fast and full recovery to those injured.

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for the media to spin this and blame video games as the issue rather than proper gun control.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
America the wacky. That country seriously needs to be nuked, flattened, exterminated, cleansed, left in nuclear winter for few centuries and naturally populated. That land is cursed, literally cursed, build on top of millions of corpses. Interesting fact that I've read the other day, statistics say that Americans killed 100 million, yes you've read it right, 100 MILLION! Native Americans, that's just 1 entity, where are others whose blood is on Americans hands? Figure is probably somewhere around Billion. So you asks yourselves why are you children turning into degenerates, mutants, freaks. No need to ask anymore.
Preaching for nuclear genocide is a pretty bold move on your part.
Especially considering that kind of thing is frowned upon pretty much globally.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've more shootings and killings now a days than in the old west before we started data basing, before the mass prison system, and most importantly before the mass media as it exists today.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because it's easier to repeat the thoughts and prayers cycle if we avoid the issues.
because this was a guy who lost in the tourney ergo not terrorism.

Waiting for the media to spin this and blame video games as the issue rather than proper gun control.
oddly enough video games are partly to blame because someone who hates loosing decided to join a game tournament.

We've more shootings and killings now a days than in the old west before we started data basing, before the mass prison system, and most importantly before the mass media as it exists today.
the rates are much lower than they used to be. The problem is that the news prey on negative events that make us afraid or angry as it brings in more ratings. the spin and higher occurrences of these shootings being televised are purely greed from some sick people.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anybody tell me any pros of the Government allowing guns?
It was orignally in the constitution as a deterrent against tyranny, among other reasons. I think the government would like to end all gun ownership, but there are so many in circulation now that it wouldn't be feasible to get rid of them all.

kingfrost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the bad people re the people simply reporting what happens not the ones who push for fear tactics about gun control to sell more guns while making it easier, and easier to buy them legally.

Its clear that both sides are politicizing a tragedy here but only one is acting like this sort of tragedy must be a fact of life .

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
terrorism means: the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. this is not terrorism
You got me there, there doesn't appear to be a political, religious, nor any motive beyond being a poor loser. At the same it does pose an argument for better mental screening. If this was a reaction from a poor loser, then it's obvious that he wasn't mentally sound from the start and shouldn't have been able to buy a gun on those grounds alone.

Reactions: NFates
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The U.S. stopped being a "first-world" country years ago. Just look at all the signs: mass surveillance, mass incarceration, income inequality, piss poor healthcare, horrible education system, fascism rearing it's ugly head and a "President" that wants desperately to be a dictator.
If you think it's better anywhere else, what about the UK and having a CCTV camera on every street corner? What about making knives illegal? People get arrested for being mean on facebook for Christ's sake.

My point is, governments aroubd the world are perpetuating the police state and people are acting out. We live in a world where everyone is treated as a potential criminal, guilty until proven innocent. Police shoot first and ask questions later. People wonder why I think that government has no right to have a monopoly on violence.

If the person who did this had no access to a gun, they would have gotten creative and attacked with something far more sinister. Crude explosive devices and incendiaries like molotov cocktails are easy to make and rarely require any sort of controlled substance. The number of people you can kill with a gun is limited to how much ammunition you can carry. Potential kill counts of bombs and napalm are much higher. Even simple arson has the potential to kill an entire building plus even more if the fire spreads.

People who commit these terrible acts are depraved and borderline subhuman. Don't underestimate the lengths they would go to in order to destroy as many lives as possible. The shooter at least had the decency to kill himself before he took any more lives. I have nothing but the deepest sympathy for the survivors and the families of the dead and hope that someday they'll be able to recover from the loss and horror.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1