Should I buy a banned Switch?

disengage_0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Found someone selling one locally for $200 CAD. Don’t really have experience hacking a Switch, but I used to own a hacked 3DS and that was perfect; download CIAs, and if they needed to be updated I’d just download the corresponding update CIA.

However, I’ve read conflicting threads and am not so sure about buying this switch.

Basically I just want to play switch backups (abs retro emulators) and don’t really care about online play.

But don’t you need a Nintendo ID to reset the system? How can I register/log in if I’m banned from the internet?

Is it possible for me to just download and play Switch backups without having to go online? Can I download and install game updates like on a 3DS? Do I have to soft hack (or do something) each time I restart the system?

Is there anything I haven’t taken into account? Would you recommend buying this system for someone in my situation? Thanks.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Found someone selling one locally for $200 CAD. Don’t really have experience hacking a Switch, but I used to own a hacked 3DS and that was perfect; download CIAs, and if they needed to be updated I’d just download the corresponding update CIA.

However, I’ve read conflicting threads and am not so sure about buying this switch.

Basically I just want to play switch backups (abs retro emulators) and don’t really care about online play.

But don’t you need a Nintendo ID to reset the system? How can I register/log in if I’m banned from the internet?

Is it possible for me to just download and play Switch backups without having to go online? Can I download and install game updates like on a 3DS? Do I have to soft hack (or do something) each time I restart the system?

Is there anything I haven’t taken into account? Would you recommend buying this system for someone in my situation? Thanks.
If you’re just going to play backups and it’s already banned then this is perfect for you. The only thing you can’t do is play Nintendo Online and download legit games (I.e. this Switch is for Pirates only.) Backups and updates for all games are readily available. No need for a legit Ninty ID.

Reactions: impeeza

kidkat210

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) you dont need a Nintendo account/online. Some games require a "linked profile" (your profile on the switch connected to a nintendo account) but this can be bypassed with linkalho or tinfoil

2) you dont need an nintendo account to reset the console. the only time that feature is used is to wipe the entire system (but this doesnt wipe logs and other telemetry)

3) yes, you can just download and install games without an nintendo account, but some games require a linked profile as i said in 1)

4) everytime you fully shut off youre console your gonna need something to push the payload to the switch (android device, pc, dongle, etc) only way around that is a trinket or modchip.

5) since youre lookin to play offline only, this would be perfect for you. But before anything, read some guides on how to hack the switch. @binkinator has some good guides saved.

P.S. some games are online only so you wouldnt be able to play them. examples are overwatch, dead by daylight, Games that are cloud only, etc.

Reactions: binkinator

disengage_0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you’re just going to play backups and it’s already banned then this is perfect for you. The only thing you can’t do is play Nintendo Online and download legit games (I.e. this Switch is for Pirates only.) Backups and updates for all games are readily available. No need for a legit Ninty ID.
What do you mean “download legit games?” Do you just mean to buy and download games from the eshop? Thanks btw

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have 0 plans to play online, and just want to pirate games, sure why not? You can actually play online with other pirated users, using some homebrew online server, but I doubt there would be a whole lot of players. I could be wrong though.

Nintendo online seems god awful anyway.

Reactions: binkinator

disengage_0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1) you dont need a Nintendo account/online. Some games require a "linked profile" (your profile on the switch connected to a nintendo account) but this can be bypassed with linkalho or tinfoil

2) you dont need an nintendo account to reset the console. the only time that feature is used is to wipe the entire system (but this doesnt wipe logs and other telemetry)

3) yes, you can just download and install games without an nintendo account, but some games require a linked profile as i said in 1)

4) everytime you fully shut off youre console your gonna need something to push the payload to the switch (android device, pc, dongle, etc) only way around that is a trinket or modchip.

5) since youre lookin to play offline only, this would be perfect for you. But before anything, read some guides on how to hack the switch. @binkinator has some good guides saved.

P.S. some games are online only so you wouldnt be able to play them. examples are overwatch, dead by daylight, Games that are cloud only, etc.
1. The way he worded the ad makes it seem like he factory resetted the system but the serial number indicates it’s able to be hacked. Am I still able to hack it even though it’s banned?

3. Are there any databases that show which games need to be linked to an account?

4. What do you mean when you say trinket? A while back I remember reading something about inserting a paper clip in a joycon to bypass something, is that what you mean?

Thanks a lot btw!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read this cover to cover and it will get you familiar with everything you need to know about hacking your switch. Vocabulary, processes, tools of the trade, etc., etc.

https://rentry.co/SwitchHackingIsEasy

Once you buy it you can follow the appropriate path to do so.

There’s not going to be a list of games that require a linked account, just know that you should probably set up a fake linked account using Linkalho after which you will never need to worry about it again.

e: and yes, a banned switch is no longer capable of purchasing legit games from the eshop ever again. Seems counterintuitive, I know, but that’s what they do. Yo Ho Ho Ho a pirates life for you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work