should i get this for retro emulation or should i get a game system for emulation?

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You guys need to work on your focus then...
The biggest advantage of playing on PC is simply alt+tab to look for guides.

Anyways, if that's the issue, I'd go for a Wii U+PS3 or a rasp as well.

Reactions: Kwyjor

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You guys need to work on your focus then...
Indeed, if access to other content is too much of a distraction while you're trying to play a game, then maybe you're not playing a very good game? (Or maybe you've just gotten bored of games in general and trying to throw more money away on another device is not going to solve the problem?)

Reactions: Takokeshi

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
i found this thing from amazon and it seems it's easy to set up.

Don't waste your money on that crap. Buy one of these, they have tank like build quality and durability plus are very cheap and because its PC based you get all of the best emulators etc... as well as handy dandy pre pirated ROM packs if you look around that contain everything you could ever want to play:

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

Raide_Dell_Aquilla

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found this thing from amazon and it seems it's easy to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MHZQLZZ or should i invest in a system that can be hacked and get emulation for it.

i saw in the video it has retro arch and it may work with RetroAchievements.

i just want a TV system with RetroAchievements.

i'm thinking of getting a Wii U... but if begger's have to be chooser's then i'm going go with this.

the only difference is on this system i posted no Wii GC Wii U support i would like everyone's input's on this if they can thank you.
honestly i would get a Pi 4 and get a case for it put retropie on it and call it that i couldnt justify spending $100+ on somthing like that when you can build one for like 45-50ish dollars unfortunately there is a pi storage atm so your going to have to wait a bit

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Depends on your budget and what you're after. Raspberrys Pi4 are the best option out there but they're very pricey right now. Options would lay down to Orange Pi (Raspberry Pi clones), a WiiU, an old PC (so you'd need to tinker a bit with the case and autoboots) or a Playstation Vita TV. Anything else is just not worth it because it doesn't have a quite wide retro support or It's just too pricey to justify what you're after.

SunsetFelid2

Newcomer
Trophies
The Deep Void inb4 Pumpkin Season Returns
XP
Country
United States
that is what happing to me.
yeah I think having a Raspberry Pi with Retroarch installed will probably be your best bet, its small, you can tape it to your wall or something, and it'll play retro games
I think the Raspi Pi 4, while it gets hot I hear, can run like, Gamecube/PS2 Dreamcast* games and junk
Or you can just get a hacked Switch and install retro games and emus to it, play it docked, play it handheld, whatever
here's some data I found on that potential route: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulators_on_Switch

Last edited by SunsetFelid2,

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah I think having a Raspberry Pi with Retroarch installed will probably be your best bet, its small, you can tape it to your wall or something, and it'll play retro games
I think the Raspi Pi 4, while it gets hot I hear, can run like, Gamecube/PS2 games and junk
Or you can just get a hacked Switch and install retro games and emus to it, play it docked, play it handheld, whatever
here's some data I found on that potential route: https://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Emulators_on_Switch
It got updated? I'm still stuck with Raspberry Pi 4 struggling with Dreamcast (not all titles) and Saturn emulation

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Talking about the RPi4, what is the recommended emulation package, right now? I was happy with Lakka, but the latest version (aarch64-4.0) isn't that great with PSX emulation. PCSX-ReArmed worked great on 32-bit but not that much on 64-bit. DuckStation crashes when attempting to launch a game and I get kicked back to Lakka menu. SwanStation works, but again, not that great over 1x resolution. I'm in the process of testing Batocera. Maybe I'll get better results? What is your personal experience?

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Talking about the RPi4, what is the recommended emulation package, right now? I was happy with Lakka, but the latest version (aarch64-4.0) isn't that great with PSX emulation. PCSX-ReArmed worked great on 32-bit but not that much on 64-bit. DuckStation crashes when attempting to launch a game and I get kicked back to Lakka menu. SwanStation works, but again, not that great over 1x resolution. I'm in the process of testing Batocera. Maybe I'll get better results? What is your personal experience?
I'd say Retropie. Never had problems with my PSx games on it.

Reactions: SunsetFelid2

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only ones I had troubles on were on DC and Saturn at the moment!
To be fair, the aarch64 build of Lakka seems to run Dreamcast games really smoothly. I was testing Soul Calibur and it was flawless. Strange that PSX emulation is struggling, and not Dreamcast. :wtf:

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raspberry Pi. that's one of those make your self things right? i'm not too sure about. i can't make it my self... the only thing i could do and i will not do it again is tweak a dreamcast laser and i hat to take it about and use a how to guide...

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Raspberry Pi. that's one of those make your self things right? i'm not too sure about. i can't make it my self... the only thing i could do and i will not do it again is tweak a dreamcast laser and i hat to take it about and use a how to guide...
No, you're mistaking it with an Arduino. If you can tweak with emulators you can basically tweak with a Raspberry. The only thing you can make yourself on it are either themes, splash screens and adding custom ROMS. Besides that It's LEGO tier when it comes down to stuff.

Stone_Wings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest advantage of playing on PC is simply alt+tab to look for guides.

Late to the party here but since others are still replying, I very much disagree. The biggest advantages of playing on PC are power & options/customization. Alt+Tab for guides? I can just look at a guide on my phone without even having to alt+tab at all. Or switch to my PC if I'm playing on a console. There's zero PC advantage for looking at guides while gaming. It can also be a disadvantage if a person games in fullscreen mode. :)

Last edited by Stone_Wings,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Late to the party here but since others are still replying, I very much disagree. The biggest advantages of playing on PC are power & options/customization. Alt+Tab for guides? I can just look at a guide on my phone without even having to alt+tab at all. Or switch to my PC if I'm playing on a console. There's zero PC advantage for looking at guides while gaming. It can also be a disadvantage if a person games in fullscreen mode. :)

I actively avoid fullscreen modes, since I work and talk at the PC. I want to see notifications.
Maximized Windowed is where it's at.
Guides on phone suck. Hard. I've tried that. I'd rather use a laptop these days.

My PC and console share the same screen, changing input on the TV is much harder than alt+tabbing: it is laggier and can glitch the TV OS due to resolution changes.

I do agree that PC also offers a slew of advantages other than the one I've cited, but when it comes to emulation, alt+tabbing is the clear winner to me. Most emulators on other devices will have said options+customizations.

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You also could buy a very long hdmi cable, or hdmi extender via rj45, and run wires from your pc all the way to your tv. I did it home, 10 meters generic cable, with very persistent image quality. My setup, wireless signal (for bt wireless, mouse, joystick) works fine. Maybe it's not for you, but you got the point, I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing good, just made my first drink of the day, so better now, Captain and Coke today. I had to cut grass all day, then get my hair cut. I messed with my wifey, she knew I was going to get hair cut, and I went and bought a purple dyed wig, and came home wearing it, she freaked out, thinking I dyed my hair purple, was funny.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Hey BigOnYa
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey hope all is well
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, And you too :)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa how are you doing
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    any mushroom trip adventures you can share
  • JakobAir @ JakobAir:
    Damn, I haven't been on here in while. My wife and I went on a mushroom trip like 10 years ago. A friend had a PS3TV with the glasses and some racing game. It hit when I was playing the game and I freaked out because I thought I was really driving and crashed.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Orange ocean Hawaiian punch is pretty good but @BigOnYa keeps putting vodka in it
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    With enough Vodka everything is good
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We are having a bbq
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Nice! Hopefully the weather is good today?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sicklyboy, it's a bit cloudy but Yea it's good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    80 for us all that rain then mother nature's like have some sun burn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, good weather, good food, what's not to like about that? Hope you have a lovely day dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got some porkchops marinating in honey teriyaki hope it comes out good
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Porkchop was the name of that dog in that one cartoon, DOUG! :P
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, never watched doug
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might play Roblox again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh jump back to gdevelop
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i say "play Roblox" not "make games on Roblox"
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i say "play Roblox" not "make games on Roblox"