OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Belgium
i have two kids 5 and 7 years old.
Should i go for cfw or better stay at ofw.
I don't want any problems because they got in some settings from the 3ds and messed it up!

souler92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
there was a somewhat workaround for kid safe cfw, dont remember the original post about that tho...

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no reason not to follow this guide to install A9LH and Luma3DS: https://3ds.guide/get-started

Once you're all done, it's pretty child-proof. Anything that could cause damage, such as using FBI to delete critical files, respects parental controls, so they won't be able to get into it. There's no feasible way they could screw up the 3DS or remove CFW.

Edit: If you don't do it now, they might accidentally update the 3DS to 11.4 if you don't have an update-blocking DNS in place, screwing you out of installing CFW in the future.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: fr3quency

darky2003

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Belgium
There's no reason not to follow this guide to install A9LH and Luma3DS: https://3ds.guide/get-started

Once you're all done, it's pretty child-proof. Anything that could cause damage, such as using FBI to delete critical files, respects parental controls, so they won't be able to get into it. There's no feasible way they could screw up the 3DS or remove CFW.
So when i turn on parental controls they won't get in the FBI app? U sure about that?

Deleted member 408979

Gbatemp amphibian
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
although it is my opinion that one should not trust such a young child with things such as the internet or smartphones, i don't see any problem with him having a 3DS.

Maybe use parental controls to avoid online play and youtube?

tell the kid that messing with FBI could destroy their 3DS and that you wont buy him another one?

darky2003

OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Belgium
That is correct. Critical programs like FBI will respect parental controls. You can test it out yourself if you're unsure.
would like to know before i install cfw, thats why i ask.
But i believe you , thx ;-)
ok gonna try to install cfw this weekend, pfffffff everything looks so complicated!
And console won't be conected to the internet, don't want any updates installed XD

EDIT: BTW how long did it take to install from ofw to cfw for a first time?

Last edited by darky2003,

UnknownShadow2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I did on my 6 year olds 3ds and i told her not to go into a particular folder (where i put all the homebrew stuff) and just showed her how to use freeshop. She loves it.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should definitely use CFW! Get the 3DS set up just how you want it, then make a NAND backup. If they screw up anything, all you need to do is restore the NAND (I would be very surprised if they managed to uninstall A9LH "accidentally"). If you want you could set up an emuNAND with games that you want to play but you don't want the kids to have access to, and you'll have your own set of game saves! There are many different ways you can set this up to work for you!

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I installed CFW for an 11 year old family member and I understand obviously that, he's 11, however he learns slow and doesn't have the mental capacity of one thus why I'm using him as an example.
He loves it in short. I'd place a folder of all the vital applications far from view and directly tell them NOT to go there. Show them what you wanted to give them and leave it at that.
For it being too complicated to install, it's easy to create a thread on the temp and most of the community are willing to help if you make mistakes, as i've learnt. This is just to prevent you from bricking the 3DS as the process to unbricking in theory is complex.

Reactions: darky2003
Trophies
Country
Canada
would like to know before i install cfw, thats why i ask.
But i believe you , thx ;-)
ok gonna try to install cfw this weekend, pfffffff everything looks so complicated!
And console won't be conected to the internet, don't want any updates installed XD

EDIT: BTW how long did it take to install from ofw to cfw for a first time?

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd also like to mention that Luma blocks the update nag by default now, so unless you buy a game requiring 11.4 (there are non I know of right now) they won't be able to without going to system settings manually. So that's another safety net.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1