Hacking DEAD [Shutdown]DragonInjector - Game Cart Payload Injector (Trinket M0 Clone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Only1chance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Just slap your dragon logo on this and your fine! :) As ppl wil probably change payload from time to time still, there is no point of specific payload stickers IMO ;]
I agree here, the same Nintendo Switch format would be great, with your dragon logo/name if possible.

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just slap your dragon logo on this and your fine! :) As ppl wil probably change payload from time to time still, there is no point of specific payload stickers IMO ;]

I agree here, the same Nintendo Switch format would be great, with your dragon logo/name if possible.

I'm glad some of you like the logo, I was getting a little worried. :P

Reactions: Konsus

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I had to wait a couple of months for this.....two weeks? Awesome. I just noticed the updated picture on the first page...good lord. Too cool.

Last edited by isoboy,

Degga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
the logo design and font looks good it is your logo design keep it that way, maybe you can make variations of the shell color? instead of black maybe a red or green but this is not important right now thats gimmick!

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
I thought I had to wait a couple of months for this.....two weeks? Awesome.

Obligatory disclaimer: Any issues that require a board revision will add approximately a week and a half to this. I'll know early next week!

I'm personally down for ur logo on it I like when developers put a trademark or a brand tbh

Thanks! I'm pretty fond of it myself but I wouldn't want to push it on people if they don't like it. Though, I still really like the idea of a nice bright red Switch game case with the logo on it all fancy-like.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the logo design and font looks good it is your logo design keep it that way, maybe you can make variations of the shell color? instead of black maybe a red or green but this is not important right now thats gimmick!

This will be coming at some point if there's enough demand, but I need my own SLA printer first so the cost isn't ridiculous. I've got a good supplier who makes quality parts comparatively cheaply but the base color is that dark grey shown in the photos and even those cost around $10 CAD each. If you specify a color the price doubles, and this is true for any hub, not just my supplier. The second batch of 100 will be the last batch I outsource I think. I'll be buying a couple of those Anycubic Photon printers along with some black and red resin as soon as those are up, so I can save money and time going forward by printing them myself. I used to own a Form1+ (until it died a horrible death while moving) so I'm already familiar with the process. Once I've got the black and red cases down to a science I'll do some runs of other colors of people would like.

I keep forgetting to mention it but the case for the first batch of 10 and the second batch of 100 will be all dark grey and not black and red. If that's a deal breaker for you just hold out and I'll do my best to match the colors of the concept render in the 3rd batch. On the flip side, there will never be a dark grey case after the first two batches so if that's your favorite color for some reason you know what to do :lol:

Last edited by MatinatorX,

XiorgON

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@MatinatorX

i have i problem to PM you, probably because my level here is 1.
i find no way to pm you when i intereact with your profil.

i want to know that because i realy want to be on your second batch for 1x Black Grey and on your third batch for 1x Black and red.

tanks

lieder1987

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question about the payload. I assume it will be changeable, will it be as simple as dropping any .bin file on the device (more than one?). If not are you going to put up a short how to?

MatinatorX

Hardware Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.dragoninjector.com
XP
Country
Canada
@MatinatorX

i have i problem to PM you, probably because my level here is 1.
i find no way to pm you when i intereact with your profil.

i want to know that because i realy want to be on your second batch for 1x Black Grey and on your third batch for 1x Black and red.

tanks

Once those batches are ready I'll post the tindie link here. If you want me to notify you, send me a PM once you're able to and I'll reply to that too.

Question about the payload. I assume it will be changeable, will it be as simple as dropping any .bin file on the device (more than one?). If not are you going to put up a short how to?

Of course! It will be exactly the same process as the Trinket M0. Press reset twice, plug it in to your PC, put the right payload file on the drive and you're good to go!

When are you going to release the Gerber and STL files? I'd like to build myself one. Thanks!

As soon as the boards arrive (should be early next week) and it passes all my tests I'll post all the source files. I want to make sure it works right before you spend time making one. :P

Velocity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
+1 for the UK, very interested in one of these, please update us when pre-orders for the second batch are open.

Mouser X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only lurk here (I signed up years ago to hack my Wii, and only started coming back a few months ago to see how the Switch was doing), but I signed in specifically to say "Sign me up!" I totally want one of these. USA shipping. Do I need to send a PM or something? Is a list being made? I definitely want one, but since I have 2 Switches, I might even buy 2! :D Mouser X over and out.

pyr0ball

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to own a Form1+ (until it died a horrible death while moving) so I'm already familiar with the process

do you happen to still have it? I've resurrected a few 3d printers before and would love to take a crack at an SLA.

Oh yeah also interested in purchasing a bare board and making my own case :)

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually placed an order at JLCPCB before I went to bed last night as PCBGOGO is taking absolutely forever to ship and they got my address wrong twice now. The boards I ordered a month ago from JLCPCB were flawless and much better than the ones I normally get from Seeed. Last night I discovered LCSC.com, a parts store like Mouser or Digikey but based in China. Did some research and they sell legit parts, and the best part is that they're owned by the same company as JLCPCB so they combined shipping with my boards for free! I was able to find almost all of my parts there for a good bit cheaper, including the Korchip supercap I want. So the price will remain $23USD/$30 CAD! :lol:

Only the ATSAMD was more expensive, and I couldn't find Dotstar 2020 LEDs or the right Type C connectors, but I have good sources for those already so it's not a problem.

I have 100 more of every part - save for the USB connector and the ATSAMD - on the way now, plus 200 more boards. As soon as I know the prototype works well, I'll order those too, so the first "public" batch of 100 should be out as soon as the testers confirm all is well. The ATSAMD is pretty expensive at $3.35 each in batches of 100 and each USB connector is $1 so that's why I'm waiting.
Glad to hear you got the price down again. I'm kinda tempted to try building one of these myself in the future (i have too many things on the todo list right now). This is a great project and very well designed. I like it.

mss1988

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey everyone!

I want to share a project I'm currently working on - a payload injector with the form factor of a Switch game cart!

As I seem to always forget to bring my phone, cable, OTG adapter or dongle with me, and I'm not a big fan of AutoRCM, I started thinking - wouldn't it be great if I could just store my jig and dongle inside my Switch? I don't really like the idea of opening my switch and soldering to it for warranty/resale reasons, and my card slot is always empty because, well, we live in the age of digital. Thus, DragonInjector was born.

This project is based on the open source Trinket M0 and has three main goals:

1) Everything must fit inside the dimensions of a standard Nintendo Switch game cart. This includes the RCM Jig.
2) Anything not necessary for the operation of the dongle will be removed for space/power savings. This thing needs to run for weeks on a CR1616. Goodbye LDO, APA-102 LED and always-on power LED! Added the APA-102 and the LDO back after switching the power source to a super capacitor! For all intents and purposes this is now a funny-shaped Trinket M0 and fully compatible with any code written for it.
3) Needs to have a 90's hacker movie name and logo.

I did not want to compromise on usability and convenience, so I deemed the reset button, power switch and status LED as "necessary". The cap for the USB plug will also function as the RCM jig holder. To be clear, this project does NOT allow you to inject your payload through the cart slot. Without heavy modifications to your Switch this is unfortunately impossible. Here's what it DOES let you do:

- Store your payload dongle inside your Switch game cart slot.
- Always have your RCM jig on you as it's stored in the cap.
- Inject your payload with a USB Type C connector so no adapters are needed.
- Charge it up with the card slot or any USB Type C port thanks to the supercap power source. Charging via the card slot means you can even charge it from the Switch while docked!
- Forget it even exists until you need it.
- One screw holds the board in and removing it will give you access to the SWD and SWC pads so you can reprogram it for whatever you like, including non-Switch stuff if you want.

One nice thing I discovered is that the 3.3v in the game card slot turns off when your Switch is off or in sleep mode, meaning the dongle will charge while you're playing but won't sap your battery when you're not. The average battery drain is estimated at half a percent average for every hour the Switch is on, but this should go down as the cap charges so a fully charged dongle will likely pull much less than that. I'll put real world numbers here once testing is done.

Project milestones are as follows:
1) Make schematic/design board with Eagle and Fusion360 DONE.
2) Order parts and PCB's DONE.
3) Model enclosure to have exact dimensions and features of Switch game cart DONE.
4) Soldering, programming and testing of board - Waiting on parts.
5) Print the case on my FDM 3D printer. PETG for board enclosure, FLEX for cap/RCM jig. DONE. Went SLA for the prototype. Prints in the mail!
6) Tweaking. Add cool factor. DONE! I'll let you decide if it looks cool enough.
7) Assembly and testing.

This project is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 licence. Once I have a working prototype I'll share the Eagle files, gerbers, models and parts list. For those that aren't familiar, this means you can do pretty much anything you want with the designs as long as you link back to the original licence on my GitHub. If you're not comfortable soldering 0603 resistors by hand, assuming the testing goes well I'll be selling these on tindie for around $23 USD ($30 CAD). I'll also sell the populated PCB without the case if you want to print your own, as well as the RCM jig since it works best with the precision of an SLA or SLS printer and those aren't so common yet.

I had some fun and made up a sort of product poster you can find under the spoiler. It'll show you what it looks like and explain the more important details. I'll do up a second one closer to release with usage instructions and stuff. If people like the poster, I'm toying with the idea of getting some blank cartridge cases and making some nice "retail-looking" cases for them with similar fancy graphics. Leave a comment below if this is something you think you'd like to see, but it definitely won't be part of the first batch.

Thanks to everyone for all the support so far!

This is excellent. I would perhaps buy this on day 1.

My only complaint about that are jig pins. They don't seem very Joy-Con slot friendly (could damage Joy-Con slot).

IMHO the pins should look like something like the pins on picture bellow. The black one is TX's jig.

vstx2.jpg

studio1b

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st batch colors don't effect me. really don't care what it is. CHEAPER IS better but quality is always something to keep in mind.
GREY IS FINE
question does this come with a battery ? or do we need to pick one up. would like to know before getting it so i can have them on hand

Last edited by studio1b,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol