Tutorial Simple Guide to Downgrading your 3DS

Have you been able to successfully downgrade your 3DS/2DS?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincho

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Well I finally gathered the courage and went for it... and wow it went pretty smoothly for me. 9.9U to 9.2, O3dsXL.

At first I was using Ironhax 2.1 and I'd just get the red scrambled letters. So I updated to ironhax 2.5 and ran the thing again... and it went off first try. I couldn't even bare to watch the slow CIAs updating. I came back a few minutes later and I was on the main menu, system settings confirmed... 9.2.0-20U. I'm so grateful to everyone involved in this.

Will try to set CFW tomorrow after work. It's been an intense day :P

Reactions: WeedZ

TCPixel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone clarify this step:
  1. Open up the Homebrew Launcher in your entrypoint of choice and start the sysUpdater app.
Am I supposed to have something installed already before following this tutorial?
Yea you need to have a userland exploit already on your 3DS such as menuhax, ninjhax, oothax etc.

Reactions: WeedZ

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys as I mentioned earlier, I made an easy and straight forward video tutorial for those who like to see it visually happen. I tried to make it short and sweet; Hope it helps guys! Thanks again to the awesome developers who made this happen.
EDIT: This is the tutorial for the Old 3DS/2DS. I will be making a tutorial for the New 3DS right now.

Subsrcibed, Liked, and Commented. Enjoy your new subscriber!

Reactions: TCPixel and WeedZ

Vinix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh Boy... The only barrier between me and the 9.2 is this "Can't force threads to core 1". I'll have nightmares about that message.

brkun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh Boy... The only barrier between me and the 9.2 is this "Can't force threads to core 1". I'll have nightmares about that message.
open 3ds music app and closes.

Try again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yea you need to have a userland exploit already on your 3DS such as menuhax, ninjhax, oothax etc.

ironhax is fine or should i use ninjhax?

brkun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to do this if I don't have Gateway, OoT, Cube Ninja, etc.?

browserhax and menuhax

search for it

i have a 3ds xl 10.3 ready to go here

what's the chance of brick right now?

RichHomieSupreme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could someone clarify this step:
  1. Open up the Homebrew Launcher in your entrypoint of choice and start the sysUpdater app.
Am I supposed to have something installed already before following this tutorial?
You need to have installed some way to access the homebrew channel because you need it to run sysupdater.

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, the process is the same from this video, right?

This guy did it the risky way by converting the TTP file into a RAR file. That is not advised, as you can just download the ZIP elsewhere on that website.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
PSA: SysUpdater UNINSTALLS THE ENTIRE FIRMWARE before it starts installing any of the CIA files. That means that if the downgrade fails early on it will not have installed enough of the system firmware for even recovery mode to work and you will be left with a BRICK. Many of the reported bricks are caused by this so it would be best to AVOID DOWNGRADING for now.

Now that this is known I would recommend everyone avoid using the sysupdater version posted in this thread or any of the older versions floating around. A version will hopefully be posted soon that fixes this issue, as well as changes when NATIVE_FIRM is installed (a downgraded NATIVE_FIRM could be incompatible with non-downgraded titles after a partial/failed downgrade so it is now installed at the end of the downgrade process instead, this is especially an issue on new 3DS due to the 9.6+ encryption) to make this safer to use for both o3DS and n3DS users, but especially for n3DS users.

brkun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy did it the risky way by converting the TTP file into a RAR file. That is not advised, as you can just download the ZIP elsewhere on that website.

i knew something was wrong while watching...
thanks

WYCEMON

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
woot woot!! after about 2-3hrs of trying to get passed steps 5-7 i took the battery out for 5 min and and put it back in then loaded up sysupdate and boom no problems. just make sure the battery charger is plugged in. you wouldnt want this going dead half way through lol

stuck on #7 clean memory and release kobject every time,How to surpass it?
idk if it works for everyone but someone mentioned to take out your battery for 5 min and then try again. i did and it worked flawlessly

vlasp01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSA: SysUpdater UNINSTALLS THE ENTIRE FIRMWARE before it starts installing any of the CIA files. That means that if the downgrade fails early on it will not have installed enough of the system firmware for even recovery mode to work and you will be left with a BRICK. Many of the reported bricks are caused by this so it would be best to AVOID DOWNGRADING for now.

Now that this is known I would recommend everyone avoid using the sysupdater version posted in this thread or any of the older versions floating around. A version will hopefully be posted soon that fixes this issue, as well as changes when NATIVE_FIRM is installed (a downgraded NATIVE_FIRM could be incompatible with non-downgraded titles after a partial/failed downgrade so it is now installed at the end of the downgrade process instead, this is especially an issue on new 3DS due to the 9.6+ encryption) to make this safer to use for both o3DS and n3DS users, but especially for n3DS users.
The new SteveIce10 SysUpdater uninstalls right before installing the newer version, and also installs the NATIVE_FIRM at the end, so if the downgrade fails early on, the parts that are supposed to be updated after the fail still work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The new SteveIce10 SysUpdater uninstalls right before installing the newer version, and also installs the NATIVE_FIRM at the end, so if the downgrade fails early on, the parts that are supposed to be updated after the fail still work.
Yes, I mentioned that, but that's not the version people are using right now. Unless Steveice10 gives the go ahead I don't feel right posting his version here. ;)

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well ,now the sysupdater showed the option screen and I pressed Y,but nothing happened,should I shutdown may n3ds or just wait?

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I mentioned that, but that's not the version people are using right now. Unless Steveice10 gives the go ahead I don't feel right posting his version here. ;)
or you could just do it to avoid further chances of brick

Knows people are bricking because of wrong sysupdater
Has working version that reduces bricks chances
Wont posted because its not his

GoodGuy FeelsBadMan

Last edited by izy,

SpitfireHolmes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has a black screen and only the blue light is on, did I brick it? I also removed the sd card and tried launching recovery mode and the same thing happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76bIuU_g6A8