Homebrew [SNEmulDS] Rebirth the project and update it for the last DKP

alekmaul

Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
you're right, i'm french and the acronym pb means problems.
ld is the name of the link scripts for compilation.
But I think Normmatt is closed to have something OK without the help of someone else, great work guy !
Can't wait to see the new SNEmulDS
smile.gif

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would also say that I don't think anyone was terribly attached to the GUI, Normmatt. If you recode it to make it easier for you as a programmer, I don't think anyone would mind.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still can't believe this thread has gained the attention of those most capable of changing things...It's mind-bogglying. Nevertheless, if my dreams have come true...

Alek and Normatt, I would suggest the automatic speedhack detection used by SNEmulDS. "Cycles" and "Interrupt" and a combination of the two. The static database worked for SNES Advance and Snezziboy but only as long as mog123 and others and I were willing to keep it up-to-date.

EDIT: I think http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yws1r7N2HQ is just a simple "cycles" speedhack. (keep your speakers at a low volume)

huiminghao

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Switzerland
avenir even updated the nesDS, and I haven't commit it yet... I would have this done this weekend..

I'm busy finding a job this month... the National Day(China) holiday is coming, when I would have some time..
If you get the latest code, I will try updating then.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
huiminghao said:
avenir even updated the nesDS, and I haven't commit it yet... I would have this done this weekend..

I'm busy finding a job this month... the National Day(China) holiday is coming, when I would have some time..
If you get the latest code, I will try updating then.
Hey huiminghao ! you received my PM it seems.
happy.gif

If you wish to participate, don't hesitate and good luck for your job.
wink.gif

alekmaul

Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
just chat last hour with archeide.
he will see the evening (french time zone) if he can find last source code in his HD.
He is very happy to see that the project continues and thinks that you have the last source code MbMax (if you are 'laurent').

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
alekmaul said:
just chat last hour with archeide.
he will see the evening (french time zone) if he can find last source code in his HD.
He is very happy to see that the project continues and thinks that you have the last source code MbMax (if you are 'laurent').
Ok, then normmatt got the last sources.
happy.gif

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, very surprised to see this topic and all the major players interested in it! I wish you guys all the luck and thanks for taking it on!
biggrin.gif

I really missed snemulds, used to chat with archeid on pocket heaven all the time when it was active. It'll be interesting to see how it can improve from there. The sound obviously left a lot to be desired. And as Normmatt said compatibility was lacking due to syncing issues, i have hope for the future. Not expecting special chip games of course.

What of background and sprite layer priorities? Could any improvements be made there? And do any of you think that the code could be ported to something like the Supercard DSTWO or iplayer for further improvements in speed and compatibility? Maybe even special chip games (since the official emu for those can do that). Just idle questions on my part. Thanks! And good lucky guys, i'm rooting for you.
wink.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny thing, Megaman X actually runs better on an optimized SNEmulDS than it does on CAT/BAG/NDSSFC, so if someone does decide to pick this up I'll be waiting and watching.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Funny thing, Megaman X actually runs better on an optimized SNEmulDS than it does on CAT/BAG/NDSSFC, so if someone does decide to pick this up I'll be waiting and watching.
That doesn't surprise me at all actually. From what i've heard, the DSTWO SNES emulator is a port of SNES9x. You are probably aware of all the many mobile systems snes9x was ported to (smartphones, the dingoo, psp, pandora, gamepark, etc). Snemulds on the other hand is not based on snes9x, it was originally and specifically coded to work on the DS and only the DS. It took code from snezziboy and such, but it wasn't based off snes9x from what i gather. So it's really no great surprise how different they are.

The DSTWO emulators are slower, but they're more advanced in every way and use more power to improve compatibility, reduce graphical glitches, and improve sound quality. They even support (to some extent, speed is hit or miss) special chip games like Mario RPG, Yoshi's Island, etc. SnemulDS is faster, but at the cost of much much lower compatibility, crappier sound, and what amounts to tons of graphical glitches and sprite/background layer priories. Two entirely different emulators coded in different ways. So not at all surprising the more advanced and compatible one runs slower, even on faster hardware.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Got an answer from Archeide telling me he is glad to see his project rebirthed. He will try his best to help if his memory can recall some part of his code as it was so long ago.

qweasd123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd love to play FFV, VI, Super Metroid, Earthbound and others...
There are graphic and other glitches on Snemulds.

I hope that new project will be success.

Mbmax

Homebrew addicted
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When we get something to release i will compile it and provide it on the google code svn yes.
For now the r2 isn't usable but it's compilable with the last dkp which is already a great step, thanks to Normmatt.
happy.gif

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
machomuu said:
That doesn't surprise me at all actually. From what i've heard, the DSTWO SNES emulator is a port of SNES9x. You are probably aware of all the many mobile systems snes9x was ported to (smartphones, the dingoo, psp, pandora, gamepark, etc). Snemulds on the other hand is not based on snes9x, it was originally and specifically coded to work on the DS and only the DS. It took code from snezziboy and such, but it wasn't based off snes9x from what i gather. So it's really no great surprise how different they are.

SnemulDS is a port of Snemul, which was not originally coded for the DS. It's by the same guy, but it's still a port.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: hiiii sisters