Hacking so about how long does it actually take to install A9LH

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
you talking about a class 4 says I should probably bring up the fact that I'm using a 32GB UHS micro sd it only has like 2GB of games on it though as most of my files are in the sky3ds
It should move a lot faster on that, but I still suggest taking your time. I've installed A9LH on several 3DS's myself, so it's become second nature to me, but if this is your first time install it, take your time. I seriously can't stress enough that you need to make back up of every single step and make sure you read every step before jumping around.
My actual first install took well over 3 hours on my personal 3DS.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should move a lot faster on that, but I still suggest taking your time. I've installed A9LH on several 3DS's myself, so it's become second nature to me, but if this is your first time install it, take your time. I seriously can't stress enough that you need to make back up of every single step and make sure you read every step before jumping around.
My actual first install took well over 3 hours on my personal 3DS.

oh yeah I plan to take my time which is the whole reason I've probably avoided doing it lol the long waiting time hoping for success will kill me haha but it will be worth it in the end I know that

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess some people find it painful and nerve racking. I actually enjoy the process, and like it when a friend asks me to do A9LH on their system. :P

its nerve racking for me the first time before I know really anything about it but once I have done it one time I find it fun I'm the type of person that can only learn something from doing it i could read those instructions all day and never truly understand anything about what exactly it is until i see it for myself lol then I'll be like wow I freaked out over this? happens everytime I hack a new device lol and then it turns into me hacking devices for friends because I'm known as that type of geek lol

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u don't have to do it all at once. it took me 2 days to go through the 200+ steps as I had to start at the beginning with a 6.x.x console. it doesn't take THAT long, but don't feel u have to do it all once though. it won't hurt the system if u take a break.

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
u don't have to do it all at once. it took me 2 days to go through the 200+ steps as I had to start at the beginning with a 6.x.x console. it doesn't take THAT long, but don't feel u have to do it all once though. it won't hurt the system if u take a break.

wouldn't you not be able to use it though if you stop midway?

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wouldn't you not be able to use it though if you stop midway?

no, u can still use it. I went through the first 3 main portions on the first day, then the second 2 the following day. the system doesn't become unusable at any point during the guide. the only portion I wouldn't stop is when downgrading to 2.x.x. make sure to have the internet enabled since u can't toggle it on that firmware. if not enabled, u won't be able to enable it on 2.x.x which could be a problem when trying to upgrade back especially if the new update has patched the updater.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
no, u can still use it. I went through the first 3 main portions on the first day, then the second 2 the following day. the system doesn't become unusable at any point during the guide. the only portion I wouldn't stop is when downgrading to 2.x.x. make sure to have the internet enabled since u can't toggle it on that firmware. if not enabled, u won't be able to enable it on 2.x.x which could be a problem when trying to upgrade back especially if the new update has patched the updater.
they figured out that pulling the battery for a few min resets the wifi to on so its not an issue anymore.

naivegirl2411

Trophies
XP
Country
IMO it is better to take as much time as possible to read and understand what youre doing before you mess up your 3ds. My arm9lh install probably took about 4-6 hours. Also, it was going well until I decided to rush into a step which resulted in me being stuck in limbo for a while. Just take an evening out of your time to read through all the guides and understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, it helps in the long run as well

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they figured out that pulling the battery for a few min resets the wifi to on so its not an issue anymore.

that's good to know when installing a9lh on my new 3ds in case I forget. the aforementioned 3ds is my old 3ds. I usually have wifi disabled to prevent the update nag in case a new update prevents emunand from working 'til an update. :)

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it can be scary the first time since there is a brick risk when downgrading/upgrading. it shouldn't happen if u make sure u have the right cia files. that's a mistake I made, so I had to restore a backup to fix it. I won't install a9lh on my n3ds 'til gateway releases their a9lh payload.

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
that's good to know when installing a9lh on my new 3ds in case I forget. the aforementioned 3ds is my old 3ds. I usually have wifi disabled to prevent the update nag in case a new update prevents emunand from working 'til an update. :)
ah that the wifi isnt an issue as it has the switch. the issue with n3ds and 2ds is they lack the switch.

mokmoki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
make sure to allot half a day, read all instructions carefully, and do every step without question. the backup/restore processes and the transferring over of the files will take up most of that time. make sure to keep track which step you're on, and make sure you haven't missed any previous step before performing the next.

i'm bothered about the previous posts trying to understate the time it would take for you to do it. it's supposed to be slow on your first time because you should be trying to be very careful and understanding each step carefully before proceeding.

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
Trying to break the speedrun record for a9lh install will ultimately end with your 3DS becoming a $150 paperweight. Read the tutorial 4 times before undertaking the operation, check and recheck after completing each step.

If you've already got hacks, start from part 4 of the guide, don't make the same mistake I did with my second a9lh install, and start from part 1 even with hacks already. That took me about 5 hours to do, in between going to the fridge for beer and selecting songs on youtube/soundcloud.

Third install, starting from part 4 of the Plailect guide with a NAND mod/emuNAND/hbl/CIA installer, it was probably two hours, also with occasional walks to the fridge for beer and soundcloud/youtube song selection.

Last edited by Deleted member 333767, , Reason: edited to be more specific

deathblade200

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to break the speedrun record for a9lh install will ultimately end with your 3DS becoming a $150 paperweight. Read the tutorial 4 times before undertaking the operation, check and recheck after completing each step.

If you've already got hacks, start from step 4, don't make the same mistake I did with my second a9lh install, and start from step 1 even with hacks already. That took me about 5 hours to do, in between going to the fridge for beer and selecting songs on youtube/soundcloud.

Third install, starting from step 4, with a NAND mod/emuNAND/hbl/CIA installer, it was probably two hours, also with occasional walks to the fridge for beer and soundcloud/youtube song selection.
when you say start from step 4 I'm assuming you mean in the "homebrew" section which seems to only be for Browserhax so since I'm going to be using cubic ninja shouldn't I not bother with any of the steps on that page and just follow the ninjahax install instructions?

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
when you say start from step 4 I'm assuming you mean in the "homebrew" section which seems to only be for Browserhax so since I'm going to be using cubic ninja shouldn't I not bother with any of the steps on that page and just follow the ninjahax install instructions?

Sorry, i actually meant to say part 4 of the Plailect guide. The part where you extract the OTP. I'll edit my post.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...