Hardware So how long will a high-end gaming PC last before going "out of date"?

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He wants to game later on with that system hence why he needs an i7 with obvious reasons i stated above.
Well an i5 sounds decent enough and then I could upgrade to an i7 or higher later. If I could get an i5 and play most current games at high to mid settings for the next few years that would be fine. Upgrading is still cheaper then buying a new console to play games slightly better xD Hell, low to mid settings on a PC is still comparable to current gen consoles

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Well an i5 sounds decent enough and then I could upgrade to an i7 or higher later. If I could get an i5 and play most current games at high to mid settings for the next few years that would be fine. Upgrading is still cheaper then buying a new console to play games slightly better xD Hell, low to mid settings on a PC is still comparable to current gen consoles
CPU's are as costly as graphics cards. High end i5's or an high end i7 goes about 250 - 400 euro's. I rather spend 100 euro more so that i don't need in a year or 2 at most but it's your choice. If you don't have that 100 euro's extra i would save that and buy atleast a 1070 or so.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CPU's are as costly as graphics cards. High end i5's or an high end i7 goes about 250 - 400 euro's. I rather spend 100 euro more so that i don't need in a year or 2 at most but it's your choice. If you don't have that 100 euro's extra i would save that and buy atleast a 1070 or so.
well the prices do drop drastically after a certain point correct? By the point I'll need them it wont be that expensive

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How often are we talking?
Well actually 7th gen is already starting with the kaby lake cpu's. So an i7 6700k would be around 300 euro's afterwards in shops i think. You can probably get one now at ebay for 250 euro's if you look closely so i'd still recommend that. But i don't see those prices changing for a year or 2.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be my first gaming PC so I'm not looking for raw power right out the door. Hopefully 600-800$ should build me something that should last through the current console gen and do minimal upgrades as I go

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wrong. I built a ddr3 liquid cooled 8 core (8320e) amd pc with a gtx 750ti OC recently and it can play newer games with no issues at all. And this build only cost me about $280.
This would be my first gaming PC so I'm not looking for raw power right out the door. Hopefully 600-800$ should build me something that should last through the current console gen and do minimal upgrades as I go
can you salvage parts from an old build ? What motherboard do you have now and wich socket ?

MontyQ

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
pc tech goes by fast tho my old main tower is i7 2600k 2 580s in sli 8GB ram

my laptop is 24GB ram a 4GB 980m and i7-4710 and it well max out pretty much any game at 1080p and blow my old rig out the water lol

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "old build" I'm starting from scratch lol I've literally never had a decent PC in my life and I'm 25 xD
You will want an LGA1156 motherboard with at least 4 ram slots and 2 PCI X16 3.0 slots to start you should use this site pcpartpicker.com start with Mobo>CPU>Case>CPU fan>RAM>GPU

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@wolven9

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't really care about graphics and frame rate

If you don't care about graphics and frame rate, you probably shouldn't buy a high end PC in the first place. A midrange PC would be a lot more cost effective, even if you have to upgrade it sooner.

But nowadays it almost seems pointless having a console with the decline of Jrpgs, local multiplayer and various other things.

Not pointless at all. Exclusives. Some publishers/devs still can't manage to put out PC ports that work right. If you prefer physical media to downloads. Not saying don't get a PC for gaming, just saying consoles absolutely still fill a role.

Btw, completly off topic but... can you hook up a SD tv to a gamng pc for emulators?
yes but only problem you will need to convert digital to analog

Could you put a second, older video card in the system? There are many older VGA and/or DVI video cards with composite out.

Otherwise you'll need a converter box, and that might induce lag.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't care about graphics and frame rate, you probably shouldn't buy a high end PC in the first place. A midrange PC would be a lot more cost effective, even if you have to upgrade it sooner.
That is also an option. I just figured I'd get a high-end so I wouldn't have to upgrade as fast.
Not pointless at all. Exclusives. Some publishers/devs still can't manage to put out PC ports that work right. If you prefer physical media to downloads. Not saying don't get a PC for gaming, just saying consoles absolutely still fill a role.
Yes that's still true to a degree but in the next few console gens that most likely wont be a thing. Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs so I mind-as well jump ship while the sinking is slow haha Consoles are starting to lose what makes them special but haven't quite reached PC level (This is coming from someone who has been a diehard console gamer his whole life)

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Depends on what you want to play, I've got a 10 year old pc which runs games like League of legends and tf2 with the highest settings with 60fps,
However, it can't run games like far cry, just cause or GTA V

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would wait till i had some more money. 800 euro for a pc from scratch is more or less a low end pc. Even if you would buy an r480x
That is also an option. I just figured I'd get a high-end so I wouldn't have to upgrade as fast.

Yes that's still true to a degree but in the next few console gens that most likely wont be a thing. Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs so I mind-as well jump ship while the sinking is slow haha Consoles are starting to lose what makes them special but haven't quite reached PC level (This is coming from someone who has been a diehard console gamer his whole life)
If you want to go Mid-end (decent enough) towards high end or high end 800 euro's isn't nearly enough to build from scratch. You could get an i7 920 for around 50 bucks with an older board and then get like a 970 or so. That probably get you around the 800 euro range to build froms scratch

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would wait till i had some more money. 800 euro for a pc from scratch is more or less a low end pc. Even if you would buy an r480x

If you want to go Mid-end (decent enough) towards high end or high end 800 euro's isn't nearly enough to build from scratch. You could get an i7 920 for around 50 bucks with an older board and then get like a 970 or so. That probably get you around the 800 euro range to build froms scratch
You must not optimize very well 900 USD is a huge budget.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye