Gaming So I just bought a DSi...

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
'cause I couldn't stand the wait for the 3DS any longer and I HAD to have something with 2 screens from Nintendo in my hands
tongue.gif
Plus I didn't want the R4i Gold that I won in Tempmas to go to waste because I didn't have a DS and it looks like the makers of my flashcart have no plans of making it compatible with the 3DS via a firmware update. (They released a new cart instead, the greedy bastards.)

This is my first handheld from the DS line and I must say I was less than impressed with the screen resolution. I saw the DSi XL and it was even worse. I can't believe they made the screens larger but kept the resolution the same. Games looked really shitty as I could see the individual pixels on the XL.
hate2.gif
So I got the DSi instead as the pixel effect was less pronounced.

So why didn't Nintendo put in better screens? Was it too expensive at the time? Or was it to increase battery life with screens of lower resolution?

Or are the screens actually pretty good and I'm just being too hard on Nintendo because I got too used to my iPhone 4's beautiful retina display?

Demian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DSi 'cause I didn't want to wait for 3DS

1298938760336.jpg

3DS Latest release date is Australia, and will be March the 31th
You'll most definitively get a compatible Flashcard sooner of later
Run to store and try to get your money back
Then sit on the corner and think about what you've done​

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Demian said:
DSi 'cause I didn't want to wait for 3DS

snip[img]

3DS Latest release date is Australia, and will be March the 31th[/center][/quote]
Because apparently it might release sometime in October in my country [img]http://gbatemp.net/vanilla/emoticons/ohnoes.png And also because my flashcart most probably won't work on a 3DS.

But that's not the point of this thread...
wink.gif

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Demian said:
bowser said:
Because apparently it might release sometime in October in my country
ohnoes.png

wink.gif

Where are your from?
India. The guy at the store said he might not get the 3DS till October. And good flashcarts are pretty rare around here. And I want to own a DSi and a 3DS just for kicks.

Demian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
bowser said:
Demian said:
bowser said:
Because apparently it might release sometime in October in my country
ohnoes.png

wink.gif

Where are your from?
India. The guy at the store said he might not get the 3DS till October. And good flashcarts are pretty rare around here. And I want to own a DSi and a 3DS just for kicks.

Still, I think you should save your money, at least use an emulator for now, who knows

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
bowser said:
'cause I couldn't stand the wait for the 3DS any longer and I HAD to have something with 2 screens from Nintendo in my hands
tongue.gif
Plus I didn't want the R4i Gold that I won in Tempmas to go to waste because I didn't have a DS and it looks like the makers of my flashcart have no plans of making it compatible with the 3DS via a firmware update. (They released a new cart instead, the greedy bastards.)

This is my first handheld from the DS line and I must say I was less than impressed with the screen resolution. I saw the DSi XL and it was even worse. I can't believe they made the screens larger but kept the resolution the same. Games looked really shitty as I could see the individual pixels on the XL.
hate2.gif
So I got the DSi instead as the pixel effect was less pronounced.

So why didn't Nintendo put in better screens? Was it too expensive at the time? Or was it to increase battery life with screens of lower resolution?

Or are the screens actually pretty good and I'm just being too hard on Nintendo because I got too used to my iPhone 4's beautiful retina display?

Yeah you're being too hard. I bought a DSi XL, and I find no problem with the graphics at all.

The reason why they couldn't make the resolution better, is because they have to make it compatible with the DSi games and use up the full screen.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
bowser said:
Ok, but why didn't they put in better screens in the DSi in the first place?
Cost ???- remember most companies (if not all) want the biggest profit they can get....

Having higher res screens may've been much more expensive at the time, meaning that Nintendo would've needed to up the price of sale to make a profit - for all we know the DS COULD'VE been more costly to buy than a PSP @ the time

Would YOU be prepared to buy a DS for >£400 when you may've got a PSP ~£300 - I know I would'nt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn