Hacking So I successfully softmodded my Wii - but what exactly have I done?

woffle99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I have been reading all of the various posts about getting GH5 to work as I really would quite like to get it working, but a it all seems rather confusing as to what people are doing.

I softmodded my Wii using LarryLje's Guide on the afterdawn forums (now sadly pulled by him for some reason) and it was all very straightforward and worked fine - I've now had a 4.1E Wii with the Homebrew channel, USBLoader GX and a hard drive of working images for several weeks. However, although it was easy to follow, the guide didn't really seek to explain just exactly what it was doing to my Wii and what changes it was making.

I therefore was hoping I could post my suppositions as to what I actually did (together with what I have managed to piece together about how the Wii works) in the hope that those with more experience and expertise than me can either tell me if I'm right, point out where I'm wrong or fill in some of the gaps. Hopefully this will also help other people who have followed guides, now that they are so easy, without possibly stopping to think about what they were doing.
(Please note, I am stating all of these as if they were fact purely as a way of explaining how I see it – not because I actually know or believe them to be true).

Step 1 – Run Bannerbomb and use hackmii to install the Homebrew channel.
This is basically an exploit that allows you to install the homebrew channel as if it were a normal Nintendo channel – it does not change any IOS

Step 2 – Downgrade and patch IOS 35
This downgrades the current Nintendo version of IOS 35 on your wii to a previous Nintendo version of IOS 35 and then patches it. You need to do this as only the older patched version of IOS35 will allow you to perform the next step.
An IOS is a version of (essentially) the Wii’s Operating System. There are 256 ‘slots’ on the Wii each of which can hold a different IOS, though only a certain number are currently full. This page lists the official Nintendo IOS - http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS_History .

Step 3 – Install Custom IOS 38 Revision 14
This installs Waninko’s custom version of IOS38 (latest revision is 14) to slot 249 (previously empty) on the wii to create CIOS 249. This allows the use of USB Loaders.

Step 4 – Install IOS60 Patched
Installs a patched version of IOS60 (which seems a little dodgy to me as the IOS history link above suggests that this is the IOS used by 4.0 and 4.1) using CIOS249 to do so. This is necessary to allow the use of Neogamma’s Disc Backup Launcher.

Step 5 – Install Neogamma
Installs Neogamma’s Disc Backup Launcher. This creates another channel in the same way the Homebrew channel was created.

Effectively then, the only ‘proper’ IOS I have changed are IOS35 and IOS60.

So if all this is right, then all of the people talking about installing Hermes IOS to either 222 or 223 in various merges are effectively creating a custom IOS in slot 222 or 223 (which were empty before) that are frankenstein merges of various proper IOS (36, 37 or 60) with added bits thrown in that can then be used as an alternative IOS to load certain games from USB loaders like USB Loader GX.

Thoughts/corrections please?
Thanks.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
You got pretty much everything right. Just something you may want to know; cIOS 249 doesn't allow only the USB Loader to work, but it allows any kind of backup loading (DVD/SD/USB) and is used by many other Wii apps.

woffle99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply. I have to say I'm surprised I haven't got something wrong - maybe I am as clever as I think I am
smile.gif

So do I need to worry that Nintendo may change the IOS' (35 and 60) back to their original unpatched or downgraded versions (say when I put in a retail disk?) or have they both done what they needed to do and I don't need to worry as long as I have IOS249 now. In fact, might it be a good idea to deliberately change them back to their proper and most up to date Nintendo versions in case a game needs to use them?

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
woffle99 said:
Thanks for the reply. I have to say I'm surprised I haven't got something wrong - maybe I am as clever as I think I am
smile.gif

So do I need to worry that Nintendo may change the IOS' (35 and 60) back to their original unpatched or downgraded versions (say when I put in a retail disk?) or have they both done what they needed to do and I don't need to worry as long as I have IOS249 now. In fact, might it be a good idea to deliberately change them back to their proper and most up to date Nintendo versions in case a game needs to use them?
We can't really say for the future, as we don't know what Nintendo is cooking up. However, there is no reason to replace the ios's right now. A helpful precaution would be to install preloader and use it to block dish updates.

woffle99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the info - I shall leave well alone and also not stick any new retail disks in my Wii until I can be sure they won't change anything.

After working my way through all of this to get my head around it, I went ahead and installed Hermes into slot 223 without issue (and felt fairly relaxed about doing it, knowing what I do now). Managed to get GH5 working and have posted my findings to that thread - I suppose I could have waited for my pukka copy to arrive when release day comes around but as you have suggested, I actually feel safer getting stuff working through the USB loader than sticking DVD's in my drive these days
smile.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Installing a disk update or an online update may in fact revert your IOS35 or 60 (or others you may have patched) to the official versions. This could result in errors in various homebrew, especially in lower level homebrew like Wad Manager, StartPatch, Preloader and maybe others.

remixer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're worried about what Nintendo may do in the future, you may wish to install Bootmii and backup your Nand, this way if nintendo make a modification or you accidently install stuff from a retail disc then you can revert to your current nand and be safe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    an online friend I've known since 2021 left me :( bc my attitude is "cutty"
    Sylvester Stallone should have played Kyle Reese lol Arnold still as the Terminator
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    TF DOES "CUTTY" EVEN MEAN?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, he is peruvian so it's probably an idiom
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought Cutty was a west coast rapper
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cutter
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Cutter