Hacking So up to what gen do you think Switch can emulate?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn’t Ninty downclock the hardware a lot? Iirc they said that Tegra processor has a lot more power than what they’re letting loose. If Devs can open it up, who knows? Is that processor in anything else to measure it to?
We don't know how bad the cooling is, isthe issue.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mm,Conker remake is a huge game...
Seems it's more censored then the n64 version? Also tho lol, I think I had a multiplayer demo that came with Xbox magazine.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox-only_games

Here's a list I found of exclusives. Not too many must haves here. In fact I couldn't even find one game worth playing in that whole list.

What's your reasoning for why the console is hard to emulate?
there is not a single high compatibility xbox emulator out there best one plays about 5 games theres also like 20 failed emulators

Reactions: x65943

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is not a single high compatibility xbox emulator out there best one plays about 5 games theres also like 20 failed emulators
Just because there are not any good emulators - that does not necessarily mean it is hard to emulate. This could be explained by a number of other factors including lack of interest.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because there are not any good emulators - that does not necessarily mean it is hard to emulate. This could be explained by a number of other factors including lack of interest.
There was a post on an emulation forum a couple of years back about why it's still not mature enough and it's due to very limited or next to no documentation and masses of unknown instruction sets. Plus there's some really funky things with the bios and the amount of differences from one to the next.

Reactions: x65943

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have faith that there will be emulation up to the Wii's gen. I long for the day I can play PS2 on decent portable hardware that's not 15.6 inches and hotter than the devil's ass when gaming.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are we still throwing around "What if..."'s?

What if someone makes a CFW with a toggle for overclocking, but maybe have another option for customizing to find the perfect emulation balance?

As-is, Switch can do PSP (hopefully PPSSPP gets a fork) probably at 99% portable and probably the equivalent of DeSmuME on Wii for 3DS docked. You can most likely get PSX 99% portable, but PS2 would most likely need OC to play 80% docked.

I just wonder how streaming will work if you wanted to run an emulator on your PC, but have Switch use its controls with PC as well, i.e. P1 on PC, P2 on Switch?

D

Deleted-417617

I'd estimate that it can emulate GameCube. Considering the Wii and GameCube have very similar hardware, maybe Wii (also the IR pointer on the right joycon could come into play there). The lowest possibility would be the 3DS, since it uses ARM

Last edited by ,

Justeego

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
as of now PS1, N64, Saturn, maybe PSP, probably gamecube/wii if we are capable of inject roms with an official nintendo emulator, ps2 or dolphin emulation in 2022 (if it can be done)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
As an extension to Ericthegreats post. Overclocking almost never is the solution. Its the thing dudebros get told by proponents of a niche aftermarket outfitters market, to make them buy stuff.

If you take that notion away with you instead of "but maybe we can overclock", it will be viable much more often than the cases where a overclock could solve anything.

Also - lets look at underclocking, which is why many people in here believe that overclocking is a thing. ;) With any device, especially portable ones, you have a thermal ceiling, and you have a energy consumption as related to "amount of battery you can pack in".

Because of that every mobile device, underclocks - as soon as you even just slightly look away. Or for smartphones, as soon, as your finger leaves the touchscreen, and/or stays on it too long.

Its also a common thing, that vendors order a chip from a manufacturer, and the "underclock it" for "continous use" - to reach a certain thermal ceiling over time, or to save battery.

Most prominently a "known" thing with Sony and the PSP, which can run at 333Mhz but most of the time runs a 266Mhz, even in game ( https://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-nation-1000002/350-allows-333mhz-to-games-25717001/ ).

In dudebros cycles - the ability of emulators to run at 333Mhz was called a "overclock". In reality it was not. It was just the mode that would make the PSP feel hot, and run out of battery in 2 hours max. For that you got a 25% performance increase on paper - which with overclocking - and without changing thermal parameters (adding a new PC fan to your Switch...), you usually dont get.

Overclocking within the same thermal limits as an OOTB design will maybe grant you performance increases of 5-10% if you are lucky. So nothing to call home for. Most salesmen who specialize in dudebros take the 10% value, and run with it. Then talk it up over time. ;)

That isnt enough to get a noticeable performance increase, aside from fringe cases. I am also of the believe that overclocking became a thing because of "system requirement sheets" on boxes in stores. People took them as gospel, one dude in marketing asked himself "why?", and the guy selling you that special thermal paste, and the aftermarket cooler - would live off of you getting "surprising results" (as in "your results may vary", its an open ecosystem, dear).

But lets talk about thermal design for a moment. The thing that happens, if you do something unexpected there is, that you'll end up with bent Switches all over the place ( https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-bending-problems-are-still-a-thing-1797887104 ) - and suddenly deciding, that a certain area in Breath of the wild, should maybe not run at 30fps, while it did in the firmwareupdate before... So there are palpable downsides to messing with or testing out thermal ceilings.

Now lets talk about chip design. If we talk about Nintendo buying a less powerful varient of the X1 from nVidia, strangely all dudebros seam to hear is Nintendo buying an X1 from nVidia. This is how things work on the production side. There is a thing called failure rate in chip production. If a certain process yields a failure rate of lets say 10% of transistors in a micro processor, you could either trow away all of them, or design in a way to deactivate some of those that turned out bad, and sell the processor anyhow - hopefully while still telling, what performance to expect from it. This concept cuts down cost in production, a lot, bcause suddenly not every one of the 20 million chips you produce has to turn out perfect.

So when Nintendo orders a "less powerful version of the X1 - with X1 architechture", Dudebro shouldnt necessarily believe he/she can apply more voltage to get back to X1 levels. Ever.

This is why simplification is a problem - and youtubers are a pest (shorthand for "no one wants to read the details anymore").

So if you add up "overclocking most often only granting useless performance increases, nowadays", "especially if you cant change the thermal design" and "overclocking in major cases in the scene was just - relabeling a known good factory setting and changing the "default"". You could even ask yourself, why people talk about "overclocking" at all.

While at the same time their phones are only ramping up to 100% of their power for maybe 4 seconds at a time, and them profusely complaining, if they do it for more than that - because then their devices get "hot to the touch". (Weatherforcast: Shitstorm)

Of he "newer" plattforms -

PSP, PSX, DC, NDS are possible (if we get hardware acceleration, which we are still a long way removed from),
GCN and Wii are unlikely (talking about games running in a decent state),
PS2 from a current perspective is in "dream on" land.

Thats the split.

People who indicate different outcomes are in the "believer" generation. I mean, it could happen... Its not just very freaking likely. ;) (From a current POV)

Last edited by notimp,

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
The Switch can emulate any console up to the 7th generation.
PS3 would be slow as shit, due to the weird CPU architecture they use, XBOX 360 would be just barely playable at native resolution and Wii would be fully playable at full speed running at 1080p/60fps.
In fact, it's already happened. People have done experiments with the Shield TV, even if you downclock it to 1GHz the performance doesn't get affected at all. Nintendo made a really bloody good emulator.
Gamecube, Dreamcast, XBOX and PS2 absolutely no problem.
N64, PS1, Saturn, Jaguar and 3DO also no problem.
SNES, Mega Drive, TurboGrafx and NeoGeo also no problem.
etc. no problem
8th generation can't be emulated at a playable speed, but it's unnecessary as it's the current gen, so developers can just natively port stuff.
All portables including 3DS and PSP no problem. Vita would be a bit slow though.

But these words are just lies. The Switch will never do the Xbox, ps2 and GC without any problems. They wont be playable at all. I promise. In 5 years you will see that I was right and you were wrong. Simple as that.

The only exeption is GC, there is a possibility we will be able to inject GC games.

PS. Sorry if your post was ironic and I missed it!

D

Deleted User

But these words are just lies. The Switch will never do the Xbox, ps2 and GC without any problems. They wont be playable at all. I promise. In 5 years you will see that I was right and you were wrong. Simple as that.

The only exeption is GC, there is a possibility we will be able to inject GC games.

PS. Sorry if your post was ironic and I missed it!

so you wrong lol , i will repeat my self if the shield tv can do it so can it the switch , the switch is just downclocked to save battery

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
so you wrong lol , i will repeat my self if the shield tv can do it so can it the switch , the switch is just downclocked to save battery
Well, we will see in 5 years. Everyone wants the Switch to be able to emulate ps2 and GC at decent framerates. Me included. But I could bet like 100.000 euros that the Switch never will emulate the ps2 at a satisfying and stable fullspeed.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an extension to Ericthegreats post. Overclocking almost never is the solution. Its the thing dudebros get told by proponents of a niche aftermarket outfitters market, to make them buy stuff.

If you take that notion away with you instead of "but maybe we can overclock", it will be viable much more often than the cases where a overclock could solve anything.

Also - lets look at underclocking, which is why many people in here believe that overclocking is a thing. ;) With any device, especially portable ones, you have a thermal ceiling, and you have a energy consumption as related to "amount of battery you can pack in".

Because of that every mobile device, underclocks - as soon as you even just slightly look away. Or for smartphones, as soon, as your finger leaves the touchscreen, and/or stays on it too long.

Its also a common thing, that vendors order a chip from a manufacturer, and the "underclock it" for "continous use" - to reach a certain thermal ceiling over time, or to save battery.

Most prominently a "known" thing with Sony and the PSP, which can run at 333Mhz but most of the time runs a 266Mhz, even in game ( https://www.gamespot.com/forums/playstation-nation-1000002/350-allows-333mhz-to-games-25717001/ ).

In dudebros cycles - the ability of emulators to run at 333Mhz was called a "overclock". In reality it was not. It was just the mode that would make the PSP feel hot, and run out of battery in 2 hours max. For that you got a 25% performance increase on paper - which with overclocking - and without changing thermal parameters (adding a new PC fan to your Switch...), you usually dont get.

Overclocking within the same thermal limits as an OOTB design will maybe grant you performance increases of 5-10% if you are lucky. So nothing to call home for. Most salesmen who specialize in dudebros take the 10% value, and run with it. Then talk it up over time. ;)

That isnt enough to get a noticeable performance increase, aside from fringe cases. I am also of the believe that overclocking became a thing because of "system requirement sheets" on boxes in stores. People took them as gospel, one dude in marketing asked himself "why?", and the guy selling you that special thermal paste, and the aftermarket cooler - would live off of you getting "surprising results" (as in "your results may vary", its an open ecosystem, dear).

But lets talk about thermal design for a moment. The thing that happens, if you do something unexpected there is, that you'll end up with bent Switches all over the place ( https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-bending-problems-are-still-a-thing-1797887104 ) - and suddenly deciding, that a certain area in Breath of the wild, should maybe not run at 30fps, while it did in the firmwareupdate before... So there are palpable downsides to messing with or testing out thermal ceilings.

Now lets talk about chip design. If we talk about Nintendo buying a less powerful varient of the X1 from nVidia, strangely all dudebros seam to hear is Nintendo buying an X1 from nVidia. This is how things work on the production side. There is a thing called failure rate in chip production. If a certain process yields a failure rate of lets say 10% of transistors in a micro processor, you could either trow away all of them, or design in a way to deactivate some of those that turned out bad, and sell the processor anyhow - hopefully while still telling, what performance to expect from it. This concept cuts down cost in production, a lot, bcause suddenly not every one of the 20 million chips you produce has to turn out perfect.

So when Nintendo orders a "less powerful version of the X1 - with X1 architechture", Dudebro shouldnt necessarily believe he/she can apply more voltage to get back to X1 levels. Ever.

This is why simplification is a problem - and youtubers are a pest (shorthand for "no one wants to read the details anymore").

So if you add up "overclocking most often only granting useless performance increases, nowadays", "especially if you cant change the thermal design" and "overclocking in major cases in the scene was just - relabeling a known good factory setting and changing the "default"". You could even ask yourself, why people talk about "overclocking" at all.

While at the same time their phones are only ramping up to 100% of their power for maybe 4 seconds at a time, and them profusely complaining, if they do it for more than that - because then their devices get "hot to the touch". (Weatherforcast: Shitstorm)

Of he "newer" plattforms -

PSP, PSX, DC, NDS are possible (if we get hardware acceleration, which we are still a long way removed from),

Thats the split.

People who indicate different outcomes are in the "believer" generation. I mean, it could happen... Its not just very freaking likely. ;) (From a current POV)
So are you implying that this OC generalization applies to all hardware scenarios? Or just mobile hardware ones? Plus it really wouldn’t be OC’ing it like you said, just restoring it’s full power at the cost of component and battery life(most likely)

D

Deleted User

So are you implying that this OC generalization applies to all hardware scenarios? Or just mobile hardware ones? Plus it really wouldn’t be OC’ing it like you said, just restoring it’s full power at the cost of component and battery life(most likely)

atleast somebody understand it :D

Well, we will see in 5 years. Everyone wants the Switch to be able to emulate ps2 and GC at decent framerates. Me included. But I could bet like 100.000 euros that the Switch never will emulate the ps2 at a satisfying and stable fullspeed.

GC is running almost full speed on some games on the Shield , Playstation 2 is going great on Android with Snapdragon845 which seems to have the same Power on GPU like the Switch , so i think here and there with some fixings it should going good

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of the "newer" platforms -

Thats the split.

PSX is beyond possible :teach:

PSP will release before NDS, and DC will be the last, unless Reisyukaku writes Reicast for Switch :wink:.

PS2 is possible, but the limitations in place (on Switch) need to be removed...and that'll probably be done 2019.

Reactions: PCityPaul

Kipz

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if we're able to assume the switch is taking full advantage of the Tegra X1, GC and PS2 emulation is 100% possible at "playable" levels, and anything below that (n64, ps1, SNES, etc) will be running amazingly.

Patatas

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would say Game cube at most, and only because Nintendo already made an emulator for the chinese Nvidia Shield, and that might be used to port an emulator on switch (and maybe even they release GC virtual console).

Ps2 and xbox are a hard no because they would need to be reverse engineered emulators (while GC could be emulated by Nintendo itself), and that would mean it probably won't be as efficient.

People saying 360 or higher is delusional. Even Wii sounds like too much to emulate properly (meaning main games at 60 fps)

Reactions: SLiV3R

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Up to Wii (including gamecube, PS2, and PSP)

There is already proof of these systems working on weaker hardware powered by Android.
A dolphin Port with a lot of effort could run games effortlessly while others will lag but still be playable.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say Game cube at most, and only because Nintendo already made an emulator for the chinese Nvidia Shield, and that might be used to port an emulator on switch (and maybe even they release GC virtual console).

Ps2 and xbox are a hard no because they would need to be reverse engineered emulators (while GC could be emulated by Nintendo itself), and that would mean it probably won't be as efficient.

People saying 360 or higher is delusional. Even Wii sounds like too much to emulate properly (meaning main games at 60 fps)
I'd like to remind you that NSMBW was also released to the Chinese Shield market

JellyPerson

https://discord.gg/BMVma8j
Banned
Trophies
Website
https.htp
XP
Country
Korea, North
There's a lot of bullshit here.
Switch has a 1 Ghz ARM CPU. Worse than most smartphones. Shield TV runs at 2 Ghz and GC games runs at half speed. Switch CPU is similar to a Raspberry pi CPU. Switchs GPU is much faster but this is not so important for emulation.

A twice as fast shield TV can't render n64 games at 100%.

Actually, the switch is remarkably faster than a pi. I mean, the pi 1 or 2 or 3 sure as hell can't stream a YouTube vid or play Minecraft

Try to use your brain. Switch and Shield TV have the same CPU. There is no Pentium 1 with 3 Ghz. A Pentium 4 with 3 Ghz can emulate many consoles.

Are you sure? Do you have benchmarks? How much faster? 10%? 100%? 1000?%

I don't look into the this anymore. In the Youtube videos you can see a Shild TV that can't even emulate N64. People ignoieren that and continue to write bullshit. It's hopeless.

I have a shield TV and yes it can emulate n64 quite well at Max settings. (Conker and Banjo Tooie)

Now yes, in a few years it will be possible. especilly if quantum device become mainstream.

you cant really compare arm to an tegra chip totally different architectur.
You could agrue through wether the tegra 1 is weaker then the current arm cpus.

tegra chip is an arm chip where do you get this shit lmao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)