Hacking So up to what gen do you think Switch can emulate?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a lot of bullshit here.
Switch has a 1 Ghz ARM CPU. Worse than most smartphones. Shield TV runs at 2 Ghz and GC games runs at half speed. Switch CPU is similar to a Raspberry pi CPU. Switchs GPU is much faster but this is not so important for emulation.

A twice as fast shield TV can't render n64 games at 100%.

Maybe I'm telling bullshit but...
on PC, I've been told that most of power in gaming is coming from GPU,
and that the power required by the CPU for gaming is less and less important
could it be the sasme with Switch?

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
So if we took Nintendo's Virtual Console into calculation, up to Wii and 3DS would be possible on Switch right?

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Switch has a 1 Ghz ARM CPU. Worse than most smartphones. Shield TV runs at 2 Ghz and GC games runs at half speed. Switch CPU is similar to a Raspberry pi CPU. Switchs GPU is much faster but this is not so important for emulation.
bigger ghz number doesnt persay mean better.

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe I'm telling bullshit but...
on PC, I've been told that most of power in gaming is coming from GPU,
and that the power required by the CPU for gaming is less and less important
could it be the sasme with Switch?

EMULATION! We're talking about emulation! Native software is a completely different world.

bigger ghz number doesnt persay mean better.

In emulation every Mhz of the CPU counts.
Switch and Shield TV have identical chips. Only the clock frequency is different.

Last edited by Socke81,

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EMULATION! We're talking about emulation! Native software is a completely different world.

In emulation every Mhz of the CPU counts.
Switch and Shield TV have identical chips. Only the clock frequency is different.
then try to emulate anyting with your 3ghz pentium instead of something like 2.x ghz i5.

Last edited by ken28,

Tumoche

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

A twice as fast shield TV can't render n64 games at 100%.

omg how can you compare the pi3 which has a53 cores and the switch that has a57 (a53 cores=efficiency, a57= performance).The switch is faster for sure

Socke81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
then try to emulate anyting with your 3ghz pentium instead of something like 2.x ghz i5.

Try to use your brain. Switch and Shield TV have the same CPU. There is no Pentium 1 with 3 Ghz. A Pentium 4 with 3 Ghz can emulate many consoles.

omg how can you compare the pi3 which has a53 cores and the switch that has a57 (a53 cores=efficiency, a57= performance).The switch is faster for sure

Are you sure? Do you have benchmarks? How much faster? 10%? 100%? 1000?%

I don't look into the this anymore. In the Youtube videos you can see a Shild TV that can't even emulate N64. People ignoieren that and continue to write bullshit. It's hopeless.

Last edited by Socke81,

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There won't be any emulators over the 5th gen.

There never will be for any hacked consoles, not because of power but because of lack of dev power.

PS3 & WiiU was hacked and not one emulator over 5th gen. PS4 will be the same deal.

Last edited by Bonestorm,

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Try to use your brain. Switch and Shield TV have the same CPU. There is no Pentium 1 with 3 Ghz. A Pentium 4 with 3 Ghz can emulate many consoles.
my main point is that ghz isnt the thing that tells you wether something works or not. To say that just higher ghz means that a cpu is better then another is just stupid. Thats all i implied.....

ken28

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There never will be for any hacked consoles.
Now yes, in a few years it will be possible. especilly if quantum device become mainstream.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

considering the switch' processor is slower than my phone's i'd say highest it can emulate at full speeds would be n64/saturn/ps1/psp.

and that's without hardware acceleration.
you cant really compare arm to an tegra chip totally different architectur.
You could agrue through wether the tegra 1 is weaker then the current arm cpus.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

You're basing all this on the emulators themselves being the final say on the matter: by that kind of logic Wii/Not64 shouldn't even exist as clearly the Wii couldn't handle N64 running in Retroarch...
Porting said emulators will indeed give similar results to what you are saying - the question here is more what can the Switch theoretically do, and reading those posts you're referring to, there's not quite so much bullshit after all ;)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RedHunter

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It will be awesome if it can really play GC and Wii games because i missed those consoles, i would have stuff to play for years.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So do Vulkan emulators like Mednafen HW use the GPU for emulation processing instead? I thought that was the main difference between that and Mednafen or ePSXe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZokeA2lKB6o