PS1/2 Someone slapped some sense into Sony!

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what most ppl are forgetting is that sony has been on top for a while now and thier not going to make some little mistake like an unpayable price point slow them down.Â

Everyone remember a little company called Nintendo? See, back in the 80s they revived the home console scene. It was dead and they were Dr. Frankenstein. for a long time they ruled. they were on top. But as we all know they made some bad decisions. Lucky for all of us they are not gone and I personally hope they rise up and take the crown from Sony. My only point here is that just because Sony has been on top for a while now, that is not to say that they will stay there.

_ORiON_

Trophies
Website
loerion.googlepages.com
XP
Country
what made nintendo fail during the n64-ps-dreamcast console war was its lack of innovation and technology.

as for the gamecube-ps2-xbox war, ninty didn't still come up with something different. graphics, cpu power, online activity were still inferior compared to the other two.

now it's trying to do something different: using the wiimote. i guess it will win this time. but i think chances will be low.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure if that is all true. After all, the dreamcast had the PS2 beat on both sides. Innovation and tech. It was actually a better machine but still failed sort of like the Lynx and the Game Gear and the NeoGeo pocket and PSP when going up against the Gameboy (and all its various forms). As for now, Sony is not really doing anything new (unless you count making people pay for demos). As someone stated here already, we all get to by HD versions of games we already played. I am not completely on the Nintendo side either. People playing the Wii look like a bunch of tards. (Course, I guess I do too when I blow on my damn DS to cool off some soup)

OG LOCC NESS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've done some math and whatnot, and I figured out that Sony won't make any money this generation. Sure, they can push lost of units, but they're already selling each machine at a huge loss. The games are more expensive than in the past, so it'll be hard to get people to buy as many as they did in this generation. This is bad for Sony because they need to sell a HUGE number of games and accessories in order to actually turn a profit.

Basically, Sony doesn't understand simple rules of business. Whether the PS3 wins or loses the console wars, Sony doesn't make any money; they'll break even at best.
You think that you have Sony figured out? Do you think that Sony is stupid enough to do this to break even? They are professionals, not people posting on a messageboard for pirating devices.
Sony knows what it's doing.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what made nintendo fail during the n64-ps-dreamcast console war was its lack of innovation and technology.

as for the gamecube-ps2-xbox war, ninty didn't still come up with something different. graphics, cpu power, online activity were still inferior compared to the other two.
Umm, a few things. Sega intended the Dreamcast to compete with the GCN/PS2/XBOX. It might not seem that way because it was released so early, but that was their intention.
Furthermore, the N64 was far more powerful than the PS1, and the GC was more powerful than the PS2.

oscarmejia, Microsoft was also professionals, but so far their games division has lost more money than it's brought in. Five years ago, I would have put this kind of monetary decision past Sony, but lately they've gotten thick-headed, acting as if it all that matters is them.

Think about the manufacturing cost of the PS3. Most blu-ray players cost over $1000 USD, while a PS3, which has a blu-ray drive, a hard drive, ethernet, ridiculously powerful CPU and GPU, and even the insides of a PS2 all built in, can be bought for considerably less. Obviously, each console is selling at a huge loss, and Sony is relying on the idea that every user will buy a ton of games and accessories to offset that cost. They expect that since they're Sony, they can do this without trouble, but this is not the case. Since the games cost more at retail than previous gen games, it will be difficult to expect to sell as many to a lot of people.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
And then comes the wonderful pirating scene. Down here where I live, PS2 Games are +60$, only pirated versions are popular, which usually costs 2$.
The only reason the PS2 was popular in the middle east was because games were dirt cheap.
Now if fake Blu-Ray discs ever come out, or a way was found to play PS3 game backups from the internet, then no doubt the PS3 will be popular here, but it would also mean there would be very little sales of original games to make up for the losses of production of the PS3.
Sounds like Sony will have a hard time here:P

skywarp

Trophies
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago

Like the other guy said, the n64 was actually the most powerful of it's generation, and the gamecube the second most. Both times, the weakest console was on top, PS1 and PS2, sales wise.

And I don't see how people can say Nintendo failed last generation, they turned the most profit(by an unbeleivable margin). The PS2 took YEARS to even break even, and the Xbox is still in the negatives. If there's one company of the three that actually knows how to run a fricking business, it's Nintendo.

I doubt Sony is banking on the PS3 making any sort of profit, even with games. They are looking to secure blu-ray as the next gen DVD format, that's Sony's real agenda.

romeoondaline

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Sony is trying to cut the losses by doing this:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060921-7802.html

Who in their right mind would still buy GT HD after reading that?

mad.gif
THATS SOO FUQING STUPID YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR PLAYING THE GAME YOU OWN WAT THE HELL IS UP NEXT A GAME THAT YOU CANT BEAT UNLESS U PAY
mad.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm