Sony announced its new portable console, "Project Q" - and it's streaming oriented

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
After months of rumors and speculation, Sony has officially announced its new handheld gaming device, codename "Project Q". It will have an 8'' screen, same gamepad hardware as the PS5's DualSense... and it will be aimed at streaming games from your PS5.

1685004244217.png

No word on any standalone gaming capabilities. In fact, it is strongly implied if not outright confirmed it won't have any.

No word on any other specs, or indeed if it will have any specs to speak of; it's literally just a controller and a screen.

1685004427694.png

So, sadly, Sony is not jumping back into the handheld gaming fray, and we won't be getting a PS2, PS5P or PS Re-Vita (or whatever you would call it), at least not this time.

Source:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/24/23736595/sony-project-q-playstation-handheld-official-showcase

( @Chary , @Prans , wanna write this up more nicely for the front page? I can't be arsed.)
Disregard that, I just saw the Sony showcase writeup.

Last edited by Veho,

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For all 3 PS5 owners, huh.

How are they gonna sell this if most people can't even afford to buy a PS5 lmao

Makes me wonder if this is just gonna interface with PlayStation Plus Premium's "Cloud Streaming" feature so customers don't have to actually own a console. Although I don't really see the benefit of this other than having a dedicated screen and controller when a computer, or even a phone-- can do the same thing.

Reactions: scroeffie1984

k0walski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lithuania
Being personally a long standing PSN user (and PS4 slim owner), I'd rather stick to my SD than buy Q... Why? It's just a wireless LCD screen with joystick attached?! I actually expected more from Sony...

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh joy. A handheld gaming system that requires a home console to actually use it, and it likely won't have any games that it can play without streaming them from said console.

Once again, Sony deciding to try to copy something Nintendo did that ended up being successful (the Switch), while at the same time COMPLETELY MISSING THE DAMN POINT BY MILES! I expect some diehard Playstation fans to grab it out of brand loyalty, but otherwise it's DOA.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It honestly looks like an experiment performed by an amateur who had a spare Dualsense controller lying around. This looks awful.

They had an opportunity to give us another portable console to supplement the PlayStation experience, but instead got lazy and aim to give us this. We already have “official” methods of streaming our PlayStation games… ridiculous…

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So it won't do shit for those who haven't bought a PS5, and even if it did it'd need to reduce image resolution and sound quality (like the Switch does in handheld mode)...yeah, no, fuck off.
I already never undock my Switch, since reduced capabilities is just garbage, especially since I never travel - why would I want a Sony Switch but worse?

And "streaming"...that'd eat up my data plan real quick - it's part of why Google Stadia (anyone remember that?) was such a humungous flop. Who the fuck has a big enough data plan to support continuous 4K interactive streaming, or even 1920p? 1280p?

Constantly streaming from a central source is utterly impractical until we've all got much better Internet - if it just downloaded the files from the source and used its own internal hardware to run games (like I believe Xbox Game Pass does, unlike Stadia), then it wouldn't be almost impossible at present, but apparently this stupid thing doesn't have hardware outside of 'display'. What a massive joke.
Post automatically merged:

In short:

Votterbin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much you wanna bet they're gonna charge some outrageous price for this thing? Logitech is getting away with $350 somehow so I won't put it past Sony to slap $450 on it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel