Sony announces new PlayStation Stars loyalty program

7c2015886b28f3a6329ec248e98e0f4dbed79b95.jpg

Sony has announced it will be launching a new loyalty program for the PlayStation brand later this year. Titled PlayStation Stars, this program will be free to join, and will reward players for completing a variety of missions and challenges. A monthly check-in will be available for playing any game, but other missions may include winning tournaments, earning specific trophies, or being the first to platinum a title in your time zone.

It appears these rewards will take the form of either loyalty points or digital collectibles. Loyalty points can be redeemed on the PlayStation Store for PSN wallet funds or specific items on the store. PS Plus subscribers will also earn some loyalty points on purchases from the PlayStation Store. (It's unclear right now whether this applies to all PS Plus subscribers or just certain tiers.)

Digital collectibles will be digital representations of "things PlayStation fans enjoy," such as figurines of characters or Sony hardware. Not much is known about these digital collectibles, such as where they will exist or how they can be viewed. However, in an interview with The Washington Post, Sony's vice president of network advertising, loyalty and licensed merchandise, Grace Chen, was emphatic in distancing these collectibles from non-fungible tokens. “It’s definitely not NFTs. Definitely not. You can’t trade them or sell them. It is not leveraging any blockchain technologies and definitely not NFTs,” Chen said.

:arrow: Source

MasterPanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Did they not see how this kind of system went for Ubisoft and Steam,
with this trend shortly about to go the way of the Dodo?

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been a ps plus member for over a decade. They used to have cool promotions like spend 100 USD, get 15 dollars credit. It's been totally barren for a long time though. This is hopefully a step in the right direction.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
On one hand, I hope it's good so Nintendo feels motivated to fix their loyalty program.
On the other hand, I know Nintendo wouldn't do that so I should just hope Sony's is still better regardless.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shall we call it Club Playstation or Club Sony?
Yea because nintendo invented a reward scheme.

If anything, it could actually make trophies useful now.

I thought the purpose of xbox achievements from day one would be to trade in towards some form of free content, be it digital themes etc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    an elder scrolls movie or show would be cool, but which elder scrolls game would it be based on?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh who am i kidding it'd be skyrim
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco Saturday
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Better call Pedro you're up in smoke