Sony Project Q handheld video leaked; shows its Android-powered OS

F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

After announcing Project Q in May, their next gaming handheld aimed at streaming PS5 games in May, Sony didn't provide much details about this system except for a glimpse at its hardware. Well, that’s the official case as unofficially, there has recently been a leaked video that provides a closer look at the device’s hardware as well as software. The news was shared by Twitter user @Zuby_Tech:

While in low resolution, we can see from the video that the device’s OS, clearly an early and unpolished version, is Android-based. We can see a familiar Android launcher/app drawer, navigation buttons as well as some Android test apps. A “QC Test” app apparently indicates that the handheld packs a Snapdragon chip.

Based on the video, it appears that the handheld - likely a prototype - is also a single unit, as opposed to having detachable controllers like the Switch. In a separate tweet, Zuby_Tech also shared some additional pictures of the device, including one with the screen module remove and exposing part of the device’s innards:

F1n-SnhXwAEGYkj.jpeg

F1n-ShPXsAANACM.jpeg F1n-SZKX0AAPzci.jpeg

As these are unofficial videos, you might want to take this news with a pinch of salt but considering that the device will run on a version of Android, it suggests that it could be used for more than just streaming PS5 games. Options could range from cloud gaming to official emulators to loading unofficial emulator APKs; but its potentials will depend on its specs and we'll have to wait for the official word from Sony.

What do you think of the Project Q? Are you looking forward to this handheld?

:arrow: SOURCE

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shitty battery life, limited and locked gaming selection unless rooted or custom rom, massive device and looks bad for portability.

I just cannot see myself using this.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You jumped in other peoples conversation on whether it's a "handheld gaming device" or not and started making crazy accusations towards others.

"Except it's literally a streaming gaming device." - Bladexdsl

"In my opinion it's a handheld gaming device." - Danipoo (implies gaming handheld)

"This is not a handheld device (implied gaming handhelds) because it doesn't work without being tethered to another console.

Handheld devices (implied gaming handhelds) are portable and self-contained, they function independently without the need for external connections.

Peripherals, like controllers, rely on being connected to a primary device (such as a gaming console) to work as intended." - This is what was said, learn to follow the topic.

You're interpreting it as an English lesson and making up "accusations being tossed" around, get over yourself.

That wall of text will get the same answer no matter how it's reworded.

It is not a new portable console, it's Sony's in-house Backbone One that includes the tablet (wild guess: Snapdragon 215 or similar) and is using PS Remote Play to play PS5 games. It is a new peripheral and anyone that's using the app already knows what this is. Quit moving goal posts.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously what is thr point in this, when we can connect controllers to our mobiles and remote play our ps4/5 games.

This isnt a handheld game console at all, who would actually buy this device to only stream games and nothing else.

Who ever gave this the green light to go ahead is crazy, I can see this been a massive flop, lets hope sony then releases an actual game console. With its own console OS, not restricted to Linux or shitty windows.

Windows especially again shit OS that requires more resources for nothing, seems like vista all over again.

All a console needs is a basic os just for basic features a console needs, I bet xbox will already be implementing W11 into the shitbox os.

eternal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it running android but it’s streaming only? This thing makes less and less sense

Just give us a big screen with an XMB like UI with the option for local games. It can’t be THAT hard
Just a silly guess, but it may be possible that Sony has developed their own proprietary software and the hardware to match to stream games? Meaning they would keep the high level hardware in their servers and make the streaming gamers with the questionable handhelds stream to the devices...

Kind of like how if you have a desktop pc with an nvidia card, you can use that official geforce streaming, or the moonlight software if you like that better. Both of those work pretty well on most android handhelds with power a little bit below, and above what a steam deck provides.

Or if you have a a ps5, then maybe they'd force people to stream off of that? Wouldnt get as many sales though. 🤔

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
I know this is not what people really want from Sony, This is not a game console like the Vita or the PSP.

This is a different type of gaming device.

But I am curious of how well it will stream, Since that hardware was developed with streaming in mind.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I know this is not what people really want from Sony, This is not a game console like the Vita or the PSP.

This is a different type of gaming device.

But I am curious of how well it will stream, Since that hardware was developed with streaming in mind.

It's a handheld device intended for gaming via streaming. While it fits the wide definition of "console", it's not the colloquial gaming console. I am not sure if people are actually confused about how SONY is marketing this device. It seems like that there could be more to it, and also, it seems like Sony is restricting the device's potential to work only within its own SONY ecosystem, like Apple does for a lot of their products. I'm interested in its potential, but I am not as interested in how SONY wants to market it.

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
The irony of this post isn't even laughable, it's just sad. By that made-up definition, a boy playing with a 'stick' is using a handheld device.

Once again, this device is not a new console, it is a peripheral. Until Sony says otherwise that is exactly what this is. The majority seem to get that it's Sony's version of the Wii U controller, the ones that are dreaming of a new Sony PSP/Vita or that Sony will be creating Android games need to let that idea go.

Handheld devices that are marketed as gaming consoles are designed to be portable and offer a self-contained user experience. They are intended to be used on-the-go without the need for additional peripherals or connections to function properly. The burden of proof is on you if you wish to claim that statement as false. I'm not here to educate you, that was the job of whatever instructors you've had in the past. Hint: if your only source is "Google" you've already failed.

I agree with you that it's not a new handheld console. But I think you need to face the fact that there may be multiple definitions and that some things can fit multiple descriptions.

Can a laptop also be a portable computer? Well yes laptop it a type of portable computer, but there may be other types of portable computers.

Similarly, A handheld game console is a type of handheld gaming device. There may be other types of handheld gaming devices, some of these other handheld gaming devices may be peripherals.

• Haha
Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The concept of handheld tools and objects has existed for centuries, but the specific use of the term "handheld" to describe electronic gadgets is a more recent development. While the term "handheld" traditionally refers to devices that can be operated with one hand, it has been used more loosely over time.

Reactions: DaniPoo

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
The concept of handheld tools and objects has existed for centuries, but the specific use of the term "handheld" to describe electronic gadgets is a more recent development. While the term "handheld" traditionally refers to devices that can be operated with one hand, it has been used more loosely over time.

Which is why it baffles me that some people have such a narrow view on what a "handheld gaming device" is or should be. Basically saying that nothing can be a handheld gaming device unless it's also a game console.

I really don't agree with that.

Also the argument that it has to be either a gaming device or a peripheral is also a very narrow-minded look on things. I think those people should open their mind to the possibilities that one device can fit both descriptions.

It's really not too difficult of a concept to grasp.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Which is why it baffles me that some people have such a narrow view on what a "handheld gaming device" is or should be. Basically saying that nothing can be a handheld gaming device unless it's also a game console.

I really don't agree with that.

Also the argument that it has to be either a gaming device or a peripheral is also a very narrow-minded look on things. I think those people should open their mind to the possibilities that one device can fit both descriptions.

It's really not too difficult of a concept to grasp.

My working theory is that the way history is generally taught in schools influences many people to hate history and reject it. The definition of words, unfortunately, becomes casualty.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're trying to twist "handheld gaming device" to fit your hopes of a new portable Sony handheld when their own PlayStation Showcase has already told the world that's not what it is. It's a peripheral, a literal streaming device, get over it. You aren't getting an Android-based self-contained portable console from Sony.

We will launch a dedicated device that enables you to stream any game from your PS5 console using Remote Play over Wi-Fi,” PlayStation boss Jim Ryan said during the PlayStation Showcase. “Internally known as ‘Project Q,’ it has an 8-inch HD screen and all of the buttons and features of the DualSense wireless controller.
According to the fine print at the bottom of Sony’s presentation, games you play on the Q must be installed on a PlayStation 5 console itselfit’s apparently designed as a companion for your own PS5, not something that would play games natively like a Steam Deck or phone or even stream them from the cloud.

That last line is informing you it's a peripheral by telling you it's a companion to the PS5.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It's a peripheral, a literal streaming device, get over it. You aren't getting an Android-based self-contained portable console from Sony.

Okay. I'm not sure where the disagreement is in this one. If it is android based, then it has the potential of being a self-contained portable console, whether Sony wishes for that or not. Regarding the OG conversation, though, you went aggro on "In my opinion it's a handheld gaming device, But not a handheld game console".

Usually people aren't stupid enough to buy any handheld gaming device, because they have an idea of what kind of gaming they want to do. It would be misleading for SONY to market it as being a handheld gaming device and omit the requirements, but we aren't confused about the marketing afaik.

Last edited by tabzer,

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it is android based, then it has the potential of being a self-contained portable console, whether Sony wishes for that or not.
You people must have no idea the PS Remote App exists on the Android platform otherwise common sense would tell you why this also uses it. No one is looking at this controller tablet thinking "OMG I HAVE TO GET THIS TO PLAY MY CANDY CRUSH."

This guy clearly nailed it:
I think it’s one of the few things about this item that makes sense, even with it’s restricted use/wasted potential. By using Android most of the ‘hard work’ is already done by AOSP and they just need to modify their existing streaming app.

Other things might have incurred increased development time/costs.

100% on the nose.

Jim Ryan, the boss made an entire presentation on what this is, and you guys still wanna poke at definitions thinking it will somehow prove that this is a new PSP/Vita that plays shovelware Android games.

It's a streaming device just like the PS boss said it is, it doesn't matter what three guys wish it was on an internet forum, it doesn't matter if it's rooted later on to play shovelware APKs, it's being developed as a companion that's meant to work alongside the PS5, not a stand-alone handheld console. Anyone that's looking to buy this is doing it so they can stream their PS5 games Wii U style, not because of potential Android games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @GhostLatte approves