Sony shuts down first-party studio PixelOpus

pixel opus.jpg

PixelOpus, the developers behind 2019's Concrete Genie and a small Sony-owned studio, is shutting down. The developers made the announcement via a tweet earlier this week:

"PlayStation Studios regularly evaluates its portfolio and the status of studio projects to ensure they meet the organization’s short and long-term strategic objectives," Sony told IGN in a statement. "As part of a recent review process, it has been decided that PixelOpus will close on June 2."

Prior to its closure, PixelOpus was collaborating with Sony Pictures Animation for a PS5 game built on Unreal Engine 5. The status of that game and whether the developers will be reassigned to work on other projects at other studios was not made clear.

:arrow: SOURCE

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was gonna say studios closing is (almost) never a good thing, but I don't think these guys will be missed. Two kinda quirky unique smaller budget games in their lifetime, can't imagine they had much of a following.

• Haha
Reactions: Cris1997XX

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, not too big of a deal, sorry.

I was upset when Sony closed down the studio that developed MotorStorm and DriveClub. Will we ever see a remaster of MotorStorm's trilogy (especially Apocalypse which was the best)? Probably not. DriveClub is playable on PS5, I think, so that's something at least.

Reactions: Cris1997XX

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
that's why I want the activision deal to go through. it'll force sony to take their heads out of their behinds

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
F to the devs and I hope they find new jobs, but I feel like the studio isn't a major loss since they literally made only 3 games in their 9 year existence, one of which being untitled and cancelled.

• Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good