Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

It isn't Sony's fault that they got hacked. A hacker with malicious intents did it. Hopefully, the plaintiff doesn't succeed.
Thieves did the deed. That is indisputable.

Then again, Sony failed to provide adequate security that compromised our data. This is their fault, their responsibility. When they built the system, they should have been thinking of intrusions and hackers and built their systems so that the maximum type of encryption would have been used at every level. Instead, they relied of the "impregnability" of the Ps3.

BAD - MOVE.

Every company or organism that deals with clients personal data HAS TO make sure that they do the maximum do protect it, as they are responsible for that data. If then, all else fails, they they can hold their heads high, positive that they did all they could.

Sony did not.

Sending CC info and personal info in plain text over the net? Not good enough.

I hope they get sued for this major blunder. They are liable for what happens with our data, whatever the dodgy EULA may say.

omgpwn666 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

It isn't Sony's fault that they got hacked. A hacker with malicious intents did it. Hopefully, the plaintiff doesn't succeed.

It's Sony's fault for not having beefier security. Sony is responsible for keeping a customer's info safe. Sony is also responsible if that information gets into the hands of someone the consumer did not consent to.

Let's say I'm borrowing a Nintendo DS from a friend and I lock the door, yet leave the window open...the thief crawls through the window and steals my friend's DS. By law, I am responsible for his DS the moment he lends it to me, no matter what kind of security I had on my house.

If Sony had the beefiest of security and hackers hacked them people would say ,"they need beefier security". You can never win because people will always talk shit. The forums are equivalent to the graffiti on the restroom walls.

Whining about whiners.
nayps3.gif

SoulSnatcher said:
QUOTE(ShadowSoldier @ Apr 27 2011, 04:19 PM)
QUOTE(SoulSnatcher @ Apr 27 2011, 01:11 PM)
Doesn't make any sense.

You do realize that if Sony actually had security and encrypted personal data, the hacker would have had A LOT of trouble of viewing it. But no, they basically put up a piece of paper that "this is a thick wall" written on it. So the hacker to scissors to it. That's all this basically is.
Sucks for them.

Nobody forced anyone to sign up for PSN or get a PS3.
If you're worried about shit like that, don't buy a PS3.

Simple as that.
I will spout you the same inane drivel the next time there is a breach of government info and you are targeted. When you enter a transaction contract with a company they are obligated to do the max they can to protect your data. Any less and you will be wiped out in court.

papavader

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
omgpwn666 said:
demonicstrife said:
omgpwn666 said:
TwinRetro said:
SoulSnatcher said:
Doesn't make any sense.

It's Sony's fault for not having beefier security. Sony is responsible for keeping a customer's info safe. Sony is also responsible if that information gets into the hands of someone the consumer did not consent to.

Let's say I'm borrowing a Nintendo DS from a friend and I lock the door, yet leave the window open...the thief crawls through the window and steals my friend's DS. By law, I am responsible for his DS the moment he lends it to me, no matter what kind of security I had on my house.

If Sony had the beefiest of security and hackers hacked them people would say ,"they need beefier security". You can never win because people will always talk shit. The forums are equivalent to the graffiti on the restroom walls.
The fact is that they put almost no effort into securing their system. All that info was literally just sitting in there unencrypted for anyone to see if they put a little effort into punching threw.

Why did it take so long to hack the PS3 then? We're non hackers saying they should use better security, we don't know what they had going. Just because someone hacked them does not mean their security sucked.
It sucked because , once there was a breach, getting to the juicy stuff was kids play. It's like a bank with reinforced concrete wall but no vault inside.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe they had to break 5 walls, and 3 vaults to get to the juicy stuff. The stories we read about Sony being hacked is just the meat and potatoes (non sugar coated story). Let me guess, they should have used 4 vaults?

papavader

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
TwinRetro said:
It doesn't matter...Consumers "lent" their data to Sony, Sony is responsible if that data is compromised. There are very few things that are so black and white.
They also had to agree with PSN's terms and conditions before going on the network.

It says in the terms and conditions that Sony is
Code:
not liable for any loss of data or any “unauthorized access,” to said data when using Sony Online Network.

If they were worried, they shouldn't have signed up for PSN.

I want to call you a mormon who lost his second M, but it would not be civil. EULA is at best a dubious attempt to bypass market laws. This wont hold up in court. At least here they are liable. The US is bought and paid for, to this will probably amount to nothing there.

QUOTE(omgpwn666 @ Apr 28 2011, 04:19 AM)
Maybe they had to break 5 walls, and 3 vaults to get to the juicy stuff. The stories we read about Sony being hacked is just the meat and potatoes (non sugar coated story). Let me guess, they should have used 4 vaults?
Hyperbole much? If they said "The hackers possibly took data from our databases, but the encryption scheme we use means they can't do anything with it. In any cases be wary for phishing attempts" on the first day, we would not be hearing about lawsuits, or they would not be accepted.

Now we know their security is paper thin and they took six days to announce it to the public. The are responsible.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
People who say Sony's security sucked, needs to gtfo. How do you know Sony security sucked and besides no one knows what level of hackers or how long it took for them to hack into Sony. What i don't get is what the hackers intend to get out of this. They're making 50M+ people very unhappy and some less-notified people angry at Sony for something Sony didn't intended. I've read all over on gaming sites that a lot of Ps3 users are selling their systems and picking up 360/Wii. This will leave a great scar on Sony's gaming career, if not the end of it.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
sinharvest24 said:
People who say Sony's security sucked, needs to gtfo. How do you know Sony security sucked and besides no one knows what level of hackers or how long it took for them to hack into Sony. What i don't get is what the hackers intend to get out of this. They're making 50M+ people very unhappy and some less-notified people angry at Sony for something Sony didn't intended. I've read all over on gaming sites that a lot of Ps3 users are selling their systems and picking up 360/Wii. This will leave a great scar on Sony's gaming career, if not the end of it.

Information like that can be used to access bank accounts, and other stuff that require that information.

Also, @papavader please stop posting more than once in a row. Just edit your post when you want to say something else.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
papavader said:
omgpwn666 said:
Hyperbole much? If they said "The hackers possibly took data from our databases, but the encryption scheme we use means they can't do anything with it. In any cases be wary for phishing attempts" on the first day, we would not be hearing about lawsuits, or they would not be accepted.

Now we know their security is paper thin and they took six days to announce it to the public. The are responsible.

Haha you said hyperbole, like I jumped the gun by making 4 vaults instead of 3 in my example. We don't know exactly what happened, just like with any security breach, you wont get all the detail. Don't pretend to know so much, you give yourself too much credit.

People who say Sony's security sucked, needs to gtfo. How do you know Sony security sucked and besides no one knows what level of hackers or how long it took for them to hack into Sony.

Exactly. We heard about this when the breach happened, not when the hackers started hacking.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
omgpwn666 said:
If I was reading correctly, the juicy stuff shouldn't have been so easy to read despite the unbreakable walls and vaults.

They could at least tried putting the juicy stuff in some kinda of code so it wouldn't have been so easy to read.

unsure.gif
laugh.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
sinharvest24 said:

People are dumb. Live went down for 13 days before, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a "IMMA SELL MAH XBOX
ohnoes.png

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
sinharvest24 said:

People are dumb. Live went down for 13 days before, and I'm pretty sure that wasn't a "IMMA SELL MAH XBOX
ohnoes.png

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
omgpwn666 said:
If I was reading correctly, the juicy stuff shouldn't have been so easy to read despite the unbreakable walls and vaults.

They could at least tried putting the juicy stuff in some kinda of code so it wouldn't have been so easy to read.

unsure.gif
laugh.gif

Haha The walls and vaults are the codes you little joker. :>

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
Nathan Drake said:
sinharvest24 said:

ohnoes.png

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
KingdomBlade said:
sinharvest24 said:

Information like that can be used to access bank accounts, and other stuff that require that information.
I doubt that's their only motive, why target 1 of THE biggest organizations on earth just for money. It would have been safer and easier to hack a smaller less known company and get the required information to obtain money. I want to know why the hackers want to take down Sony especially, if it's revenge then i think they're bit over-reacting.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
sinharvest24 said:
KingdomBlade said:
sinharvest24 said:

I doubt that's their only motive, why target 1 of THE biggest organizations on earth just for money. It would have been safer and easier to hack a smaller less known company and get the required information to obtain money. I want to know why the hackers want to take down Sony especially, if it's revenge then i think they're bit over-reacting.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume self righteous hackers were at work. I don't care who you are, an act like this can't be justified. Any justification would be nothing more than excuses.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the tos stating that sony is not liable for unauthorized access and/or theft of credit card numbers and other information means nothing. the only way something like this would hold merit is if a company (sony) made reasonable attempts to protect this information. the fact that they didn't makes such a thing as worthless as the paper it's written on.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
machomuu said:
Nollog said:
machomuu said:
Nollog said:
twiztidsinz said:
To simplify what is going on... this is like leaving your house unlocked, doors and windows open and then being surprised when you get robbed.
Sony didn't encrypt the information the units were sending. THIS IS A MAJOR SECURITY SCREW UP ON SONY'S PART!
That's not quite right.
It'd be more like if your landlord unlocked your doors and windows etc.
Your landlord to your...house?
... Obviously?
Do Americans not RENT?
Yeah, but that's usually the case with apartments. Seriously, what is with you and America? Did you have a bad run-in with Bandit Keith or something?
In America?

Damnit, you beat me to it~!

Also, was the rumor that everyone's stuff was just on unencrypted, plaintext files? IF it's true, then guess what, it's a fact that their security sucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one