Source code for the 1995 racing game WipEout has been released by Forest of Illusion

FO2p5XIaMAEleIj

A source code release for a beloved game is always big news, and this here is no exception. Video game preservation group Forest of Illusion has just released the original PlayStation 1 and Windows source code to Psygnosis's hit game WipEout. The preservation group has preserved plenties game prototypes, betas, and other unique items over the years that may have been lost and forgotten forever, so game source code is often some of the most valuable things they release. Although they state that "it is currently unknown if these sources are fully buildable", it'll be interesting to see what comes from this, whether it be a modern multiplatform port or even an original fan game.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hmm.... interesting!

edit:
Folder structure seems to indicate base source code was developed for DOS,
then got ported to Windows95, then Windows98 (hardcoded x86 assembly polygon sorting stuff),
then got ported to other platforms (PSX) where it got 100% C source code.

Apparently these sources can be built, but unsure if it's the final version or a beta. Since the DOS source (C + x86 assembly) was the base for the rest of the ports, i'd say the sources hold the final build.

edit2:
DOS is software renderer, Windows 95, Windows98 Direct3D hardware renderer (mostly the work done here was a 3D Accelerator Card API), then the API got ported to PSX 3D hardware.

Last edited by Coto,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Might have to have a little dig later to see what is in this. Don't think I have seen much in the way of PS1 source code before.

Hopefully it is reasonably advanced and reasonably close to complete.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Wavy

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
360 Gears of War source code could have been released as well, it was uploaded two days ago to Internet Archive, along with two betas. I don't know if it's legit, complete or can be compiled, but there it is.

Reactions: Wavy

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played the PSN version on my Vita the other day and the game still holds up and is a lot of fun. It'll be nice if there's a HD version of it.

Who knew WipEout would become a PlayStation exclusive even though it was on Saturn and N64 before that happening. 😋

If WipEout were to be a multiplat again, it'd be superb for gamers across all consoles and PC considering Nintendo has sort of given up from making a new F-Zero game.

Slinger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Wow! I have much respect for the original Wipeout games, especially 2097. Now lets see if 2097 also finds it way out on the web!

Also, this is the same group that released the Dinosaur Planet rom. What a time to be alive! :toot:
(update: I just looked at what I wrote, to clarify: this is a bad time in general, but it's still remarkable to get all these monumental releases in gaming history!)

Last edited by Slinger,
Reactions: Marc_LFD and Wavy

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm.... interesting!

edit:
Folder structure seems to indicate base source code was developed for DOS,
then got ported to Windows95, then Windows98 (hardcoded x86 assembly polygon sorting stuff),
then got ported to other platforms (PSX) where it got 100% C source code.

Apparently these sources can be built, but unsure if it's the final version or a beta. Since the DOS source (C + x86 assembly) was the base for the rest of the ports, i'd say the sources hold the final build.

edit2:
DOS is software renderer, Windows 95, Windows98 Direct3D hardware renderer (mostly the work done here was a 3D Accelerator Card API), then the API got ported to PSX 3D hardware.
I have the original pc release of Wipeout and it was a DOS game with no 3d acceleration support.

It seems there was an ATI 3D Rage Edition I wasn't aware of that had support the ATI Rage graphics card via the ATI 3D CIF API.
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wipeout

I'd love this ported to everything, especially an updated port to pc and switch!

Reactions: Wavy

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
360 Gears of War source code could have been released as well, it was uploaded two days ago to Internet Archive, along with two betas. I don't know if it's legit, complete or can be compiled, but there it is.
I had a quick look and couldnt find it. PM me

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1