[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises Discussion

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the "Robin" thing,

As was mentioned before, it was merely a nod to "Robin - The Boy Wonder" that Blake's name was Robin. There are a couple of parallels between "Robin" and Robin though (and Bruce Wayne too for that matter...), most obviously the fact that all were orphans. Also the fact that Bruce Wayne took care of him as a boy, though in TDKR unknowingly via his foundation.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disliked how this and the last movie were named almost the same thing. Minor, but aggravating when talking about it.
I also disliked how this and the last have been focusing about the villain. People came away from both movies focusing on the villains.
TDK was about the joker, not batman. There was no character development at all for batman in this or TDKR (except when he climbs out of the pit lol)
Also what was up with bruce being a recluse for the first 1/4 and in prison for another 1/2? I was so bored with batman being absent for so long. eh.

Its not a bad movie in the least, i just dont think it lives up the the hipe from TDK, and what everyone without a film critical bone in their bodies is spewing all over the internet, as they blindly praise TDKR.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]
Also what was up with bruce being a recluse for the first 1/4 and in prison for another 1/2? I was so bored with batman being absent for so long. eh.
[...]

I think the point of that was to build hype for him when he's kicking ass in the end of the movie. He's gone for so long, then out of nowhere is back.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inorite?
Like Alien and Aliens
or
Die Hard and Die...Harder
or
Batman and Batman...Returns and Batman...Forever?

I'm not sure what is meant by "People came away from both movies focusing on the villains"
It's a popcorn movie. It seems fact that it's the closest a popcorn movie can come to a real drama has presented some unrealistic expectations regarding its story and content. Where was the character development in The Avengers?

Batman Begins: Who is Bruce Wayne and how did he come into being Batman?
The Dark Knight: At what lengths will Batman go to catch a criminal who has pushed him to question what he will and will not do to protect Gotham?
The Dark Knight Rises: Can an aging and broken Bruce Wayne rise to challenge a terrorist bent on the destruction of Gotham and find the will to put on the mask once more?

I think that buying into any sort of hype ahead of a film release is what kills enjoyment for the viewer. I enjoyed Batman Begins. It was an interesting way to "reinvent" Batman on the big screen. I enjoyed The Dark Knight. Ledger was definitely a huge part of that movie, but for me, Harvey Dent/Two-Face has always been one of my favorite characters in seeing how the evil and corruption can warp a good man. TDK also showed us a Bruce Wayne who really wasn't sure if he could do it anymore and his want to find someone else who could. I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises. It ties quite neatly into the previous two movies. Hardy did quite well with Bane and the way Bane and Thalia/LoS were tied together was satisfying, imo. Christian Bale is Bruce Wayne. By far, the best portrayal of Wayne to date in being both the billionaire playboy and the dark knight. Keaton was a decent Batman and Kilmer was actually a passable Wayne, but Christian Bale is both. Michael Caine being under-used was really the only "negative" thing I have to say about TDKR. Honestly, I would've like to see Alfred welcome Blake to the Batcave and say something like "I thought we might start with a little base-jumping"...credits... :P

I didn't go into any of these movies expecting them to be epic or even as good as the last. Just wanted to see where the story went and how these characters were translated to film.

TL;DR
I think we got the best Hollywood could give us as far as a trilogy of movies tying together Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween/Dark Victory, Knightfall, and The Dark Knight Returns...
If only we could get a proper Death and Return of Superman film...

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Finally watched it and out of the three story-wise I thought this was the best. The pacing was also very good.

The only two things I didn`t like all that much but admittedly were already established through the previous Nolan films were the design of Batman, the Batmobile and Bat(wing). I still think all those look atrocious! Also I think some more iconic movements of Batman, like gliding and grappling were sadly not used much, which I think is a shame, since the visuals are imo a very crucial part of enjoying Batman media!

But this is MASSIVE nitpicking! A great movie and an amazing end to this great trilogy!!!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Really enjoyed myself, great ending to this good trilogy. I didn't like the villain though, Bane is just so much less cool than the Joker IMHO.
But storywise an amazing performance again from Nolan, just decent and it all fits. Also really glad Batman isn't dead after all! He deserves so much better.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really enjoyed myself, great ending to this good trilogy. I didn't like the villain though, Bane is just so much less cool than the Joker IMHO.
AWWEEE dude!
i know its your opinion and this is mine lol
but i guess i just like the actor alot too, but i thought bane was bad ass.

Koolestplay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's just awesome!, i loved the movie has a lot of emotions, I think Nolan succeeded in making another movie as cool as The Dark Knight.
I loved Catwoman!

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But storywise an amazing performance again from Nolan, just decent and it all fits. Also really glad Batman isn't dead after all! He deserves so much better.

If they killed Batman, they would have went against pretty much all the comics. Batman keeps fighting even when he's like 60.

I think the reason you liked Joker more insatead of Bane is because Joker has no story at all. He's a mysterious character who is Batman's greatest enemy. His personality and everything is just fucked that it attracts the viewer. Who is this guy? What is his purpose? Pretty much, anybody can add their own story the Joker and it sounds believable.

With Bane, it's a guy who was trained by the League of Assassins who was not happy as a child and shit. There's not a whole lot of interpretation of who he is. Honestly, the only redeeming quality about Bane is his strength, and the fact that he breaks Batman's back, the only criminal ever to literally destroy the bat.....for a little bit.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If they killed Batman, they would have went against pretty much all the comics. Batman keeps fighting even when he's like 60.

I think the reason you liked Joker more insatead of Bane is because Joker has no story at all. He's a mysterious character who is Batman's greatest enemy. His personality and everything is just fucked that it attracts the viewer. Who is this guy? What is his purpose? Pretty much, anybody can add their own story the Joker and it sounds believable.

With Bane, it's a guy who was trained by the League of Assassins who was not happy as a child and shit. There's not a whole lot of interpretation of who he is. Honestly, the only redeeming quality about Bane is his strength, and the fact that he breaks Batman's back, the only criminal ever to literally destroy the bat.....for a little bit.

Bane here is a pretty interesting character though, especially compared to Batman. I mean they were both trained by and were members of the same organization. They each have a view of bringing retribution (or reckoning) to Gotham. Bane could easily be a twisted version of Batman to some extent. He's almost like Wayne if he chose to carry out the League's mission.

The Joker was a great character too though, he had no character but that was the point. He was supposed to represent a force or drive more than anything else. He was the crux of Batman, he stood against everything he stood for, and tried to break Batman emotionally. In the movie at least he did kinda succeed. I mean he killed that chick (her name is eluding me), made Batman kill Dent, and had him become a shut in and out of commission for about 8 years. That's pretty bad.

I thought the series had some great villains, although the Scarecrow was just a glorified lackey. It's funny to see him in all the movies but he was never built up as a villain. Fortunately Ra's was a pretty good baddy.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the previous two films so much however this film was good but nothing great.

It was fairly predictable with its plot, twists and even dialogue (which felt very forced, like they tried their best to get loads of quotes). Bane was ok, I expected more to be done with him but whatever. It didn't help that the fight sequences were poorly done...but then they always have been with this trilogy. For me he was the least interesting out of Ras and Joker. Thomas Hardy did play him really well and I liked his voice even though it was the wrong accent. People should check him out in Bronson, fucking great movie.

Feel just so underwhelmed by it, I wasn't exactly immensely excited by the trailers but then I wasn't with the others either. Catwoman was good though, that was a surprise. Bale was pretty meh in this, at times he felt like a bit player but then I guess that was the point, you know he inspired people to become more of what they could be so he wasn't needed etc...even though he ended up saving the day.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I just got back from watching the film now.

Although I do think it was a good film there were several things that really bugged me about it. Firstly I thought the effect on Bane's voice sounded far too artificial, like when someone dubs over dialogue and it sounds out of place. That kind of removed me from the movie every time he spoke.

Also I think Bane was kind of squandered as a character and had nowhere near the amount of memorable scenes that the Joker had in the dark knight. His most interesting scenes were the stadium scene and the prison break scene, everything else was kind of meh.

One of my biggest gripes were the two fight scenes between Bane and Batman, there was just nothing to them really and had no good real memorable sequences. Sure Nolan is trying to base the trilogy in reality without going over the top, but after each fight I thought "seriously is that it?" Hardly the epic showdown I was expecting. And I think the abrupt way Bane was killed just completely sucked and was a cop out.

Lastly I hated the two big plot holes in the movie. Namely Batmans escape from the prison firstly. As far as anyone can tell it was based in the middle east someplace, even though you get no real information about it, ok fine. But he escapes and in like the very next scene he is back in Gotham talking to Catwoman. How the hell did he get back to Gotham, a city under siege which is completely closed off from someplace in the middle east with no resources (he is broke) and no apparent help? That really irked me.

But my biggest gripe is with the nuclear explosion at the end and his escape from it. Ok so they try and explain it with the autopilot and stuff, but you see him still flying the Bat with five seconds to go and earlier they say the nuke has a blast radius of six miles. Even with autopilot how the fuck did he get six miles away from the blast in five seconds? Its impossible. Also what about the fallout and stuff? The nuke clearly didn't detonate underwater or anything, you see a huge mushroom cloud, so are they saying that the blast didn't effect Batman or Gotham at all? Urgh.

Anyway other than the beginning having bad pacing I did enjoy the film. I actually liked what they did with Robin, I didn't care much for the twist it was kind of the most standard twist they could have thought up and I think that it just ultimately took away from Bane more than it gave to the movie.

Reactions: 4 people

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dark knight still has my heart stolen. But i did really enjoy this movie it was nice to see a conclusion to an epic series of batman movies.
Personally though, while i loved the portrayal of bane and expanding more on the league of shadows, the one thing I was hoping for before I found out bane would be the enemy in this movie, was for the riddler to be the main enemy.
While I love the joker to death, the riddler is my close second for amazing batman supervillans. And with the way the dark knight series of movies was portrayed, i think the riddler would have made for a mind blowing charecter.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

Although I do think it was a good film there were several things that really bugged me about it. Firstly I thought the effect on Bane's voice sounded far too artificial, like when someone dubs over dialogue and it sounds out of place. That kind of removed me from the movie every time he spoke.

Also I think Bane was kind of squandered as a character and had nowhere near the amount of memorable scenes that the Joker had in the dark knight. His most interesting scenes were the stadium scene and the prison break scene, everything else was kind of meh.

One of my biggest gripes were the two fight scenes between Bane and Batman, there was just nothing to them really and had no good real memorable sequences. Sure Nolan is trying to base the trilogy in reality without going over the top, but after each fight I thought "seriously is that it?" Hardly the epic showdown I was expecting. And I think the abrupt way Bane was killed just completely sucked and was a cop out.

Lastly I hated the two big plot holes in the movie. Namely Batmans escape from the prison firstly. As far as anyone can tell it was based in the middle east someplace, even though you get no real information about it, ok fine. But he escapes and in like the very next scene he is back in Gotham talking to Catwoman. How the hell did he get back to Gotham, a city under siege which is completely closed off from someplace in the middle east with no resources (he is broke) and no apparent help? That really irked me.

But my biggest gripe is with the nuclear explosion at the end and his escape from it. Ok so they try and explain it with the autopilot and stuff, but you see him still flying the Bat with five seconds to go and earlier they say the nuke has a blast radius of six miles. Even with autopilot how the fuck did he get six miles away from the blast in five seconds? Its impossible. Also what about the fallout and stuff? The nuke clearly didn't detonate underwater or anything, you see a huge mushroom cloud, so are they saying that the blast didn't effect Batman or Gotham at all? Urgh.

Anyway other than the beginning having bad pacing I did enjoy the film. I actually liked what they did with Robin, I didn't care much for the twist it was kind of the most standard twist they could have thought up and I think that it just ultimately took away from Bane more than it gave to the movie.

Did you fall asleep during the opening? That was the greatest scene in the entire movie. Moreover, what did you think of Anne Hathaway's performance?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia

Did you fall asleep during the opening? That was the greatest scene in the entire movie. Moreover, what did you think of Anne Hathaway's performance?

Five minutes of decent action at the start, an hour (plus) of overly long build up after. That as I said is bad pacing.

Anne Hathaway was ok, but the film could have been just as good if she was omitted from it completely.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country

Five minutes of decent action at the start, an hour (plus) of overly long build up after. That as I said is bad pacing.

Anne Hathaway was ok, but the film could have been just as good if she was omitted from it completely.

Ah-ha! I knew I wasn't the only one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel