Square Enix "definitely interested" in bringing future Final Fantasy games to PC

Bobbybangin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a huge fan of turn based RPG's. Not a bad lot of news, but would rather hear that Kingdom Hearts is headed to PC.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFXII was kinda good apart from a few character choices. The gameplay was fun in my opinion :huh:
I immediately turned it off after first hearing the apparent protagonist's voice... I knew from hearing that whine, I wasn't going to have a good time, especially if FF X was any indication. And after managing to go through X int he same time it would have taken me if I'd just rented it, I wanted to positively murder the entire voice cast for the game because they were so ungodly awful, hateful, terrible people.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pc gamers will definitely enjoy PC releases but I am not that interested in it.
I don't like most Final Fantasy titles because they use modern fantasy themes. Guns & normal swords just don't go along imo.
Also, I more of a fan of "Normal boring everyday person becomes hero through story" instead of "(anti)Hero/famous person just show how cool they are in this story".
You can just see the character development more in this type of RPG and it makes the character more relate able (since they are a boring everyday person).
I think everything after FF6 was just a "look a cool character! Like him/her!" without giving me a reason to do so or by waiting hours of playtime until some story point makes them like able.
After hearing the Girls behind Lightnings Character saying "We want to make Lightning as cool as possible" I knew that I wasn't talking complete nonsense (which I often tend to do~).

So go from great console-only entries, to terrible shlock that they're doing as also-rans on the PC.

FF XIII was universally terrible, especially to anyone with the reading comprehension to understand even a basic plot. The fact that the game makes NO attempt to clear up any of its gaping plotholes other than through obtuse and concealed database logs and entries is absurd. Final Fantasy used to explain the story in a manner that also explained its game mechanics seamlessly. It seems that after going 3D, the quality of the story and gameplay fell apart. And the japanese eat it up so much as to assure the rest of the world gets hit with their awful titles.

Did they learn nothing from the scathing reviews, or the investor that literally sold ALL of his stock after seeing how awful their next attempt at an MMOG was?

I am watching a let's play to FF13-3 and the first thing the let's player said is explaining the changes that were made to the mythology of the FF13 universe because and I quote "We won't understand what's going on in Lightning returns if we don't know this". Seriously why? It's their third attempt! Why can't they just explain stuff through little cut scenes or by actually implementing the mythology into the story? these are so basic things... I hope they won't fuck it up in FF15...

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
perfect!
it´s really hard for me to not like a FF game, the only one bad enough is FF II , Damn , not even Demon Souls is that Hard.
let´s just hope XIII isn´t Expensive as Fuck....

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pc gamers will definitely enjoy PC releases but I am not that interested in it.
I don't like most Final Fantasy titles because they use modern fantasy themes. Guns & normal swords just don't go along imo.
Also, I more of a fan of "Normal boring everyday person becomes hero through story" instead of "(anti)Hero/famous person just show how cool they are in this story".
You can just see the character development more in this type of RPG and it makes the character more relate able (since they are a boring everyday person).
I think everything after FF6 was just a "look a cool character! Like him/her!" without giving me a reason to do so or by waiting hours of playtime until some story point makes them like able.
After hearing the Girls behind Lightnings Character saying "We want to make Lightning as cool as possible" I knew that I wasn't talking complete nonsense (which I often tend to do~).

I am watching a let's play to FF13-3 and the first thing the let's player said is explaining the changes that were made to the mythology of the FF13 universe because and I quote "We won't understand what's going on in Lightning returns if we don't know this". Seriously why? It's their third attempt! Why can't they just explain stuff through little cut scenes or by actually implementing the mythology into the story? these are so basic things... I hope they won't fuck it up in FF14...
Because it's a sequel. XIII-2 included a short summary of XIII so people could follow the story, I imagine it's the same with Lightning Returns. Showing a story on screen for ages does not make a great LP though, so that's probably why he did it this way.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nobody cares about your crappy new FFs, SquareEnix :angry:

FFXII was kinda good apart from a few character choices. The gameplay was fun in my opinion :huh:
Too bad it didn't play like a Final Fantasy at all. You could've called it "Generic non-descript Action RPG", since it pretty much had NOTHING to do with the old FFs.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Too bad it didn't play like a Final Fantasy at all. You could've called it "Generic non-descript Action RPG", since it pretty much had NOTHING to do with the old FFs.

I tend to not think of anything SE releases as FF related. Hell, the best games from the company have been from the former Eidos side which doesn't have anything to do with the FF rocking SE :(

Reactions: raulpica

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Because it's a sequel. XIII-2 included a short summary of XIII so people could follow the story, I imagine it's the same with Lightning Returns. Showing a story on screen for ages does not make a great LP though, so that's probably why he did it this way.
No, not really. This time the game sends you straigth to the scene where Lightning fights Snow from the trailer "Tutorial level" and then when you go back to the "base" Hope and Lightning just explains whats going on in FF13-3 but not how that works in the FF13 Universe.
The world of FF13-3 is a different than the world of FF13 and the game plays 500 years after 13-2 and everyone acts like it's a normal thing (not to mention, dead people are alive again). You still need to read data logs to understand everything (something that isn't THAT popular on Lets Play shows).

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
Good...now where is my TWEwY Android port? :angry:

I'm probably the only one who still cares about that.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For me, nothing's "played" likea Final Fantasy since X, and even that feels a little weird to me. Every game in the series since has felt like their director's pet-project, like a different game entirely made according to one narrow vision, instead of being larger, group efforts to create a good game.

FFXII is kind of obvious in it belonging to what might as well be an Ivalice series, but then you have FFXV, which is out-right someone else's pet project.

Reactions: raulpica

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not interested, the core Final Fantasy of today is dead to me I've moved on to other companies for most of my core RPG fixes (Atlus, Idea factory, and other niche companies), port a future Bravely Default title, a true Final Fantasy Tactics game, or another true Saga title to PC and we'll talk.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like PCMasterRace has broken Squeenix's will to only release their games on the Playstation consoles. Bad PCMasterRace. :angry:
All games for all things is a good thing, also didn't they release things on the 360 the last go around?

Too bad it [ff12] didn't play like a Final Fantasy at all. You could've called it "Generic non-descript Action RPG", since it pretty much had NOTHING to do with the old FFs.
Still a more enjoyable experience than monster hunter.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno why anyone really cares. They ported the PSX and MMO titles to the PC and they were just as bad there (if not worse) as they were on consoles. Fact of the matter is, the last two good Final Fantasy games didn't even have Final Fantasy in the title (although I suppose Chrono Trigger's shoddy PSX port at least got the honor of being part of the 'Final Fantasy Collection') . Hell, even The Last Remnant was a better FF game than most of the other 3D FF games.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
That's fine.
As long as they squeeze in the XII HD port for PS3 and Vita somewhere in that.
But XII was an awful, awful game. It was just littered with half finished ideas, and they managed to wreck the battle system by making it seem like they had absolutely no idea whether they wanted to make it an action RPG, or a traditional turn based RPG. Not to mention that, after playing X, I could finally figure out why they made the license system, and also why it was one of the worst things they could have come up with. The X system of growth already isn't that great, but it's bearable as it still operates off of level with some customization that doesn't limit the experience. The license system is just stupid. My armor, weapons, magics, etc. should not be entirely dictated by how much time I've invested into grinding for monster kills.

That's really just the tip of the iceberg though. The tip of the tip, really. They should just let XII lay dead as the failed project that it was.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno why anyone really cares. They ported the PSX and MMO titles to the PC and they were just as bad there (if not worse) as they were on consoles. Fact of the matter is, the last two good Final Fantasy games didn't even have Final Fantasy in the title (although I suppose Chrono Trigger's shoddy PSX port at least got the honor of being part of the 'Final Fantasy Collection') . Hell, even The Last Remnant was a better FF game than most of the other 3D FF games.
YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

...ahem. Wasn't there some talk around the time FFXV was announced that it was coming out on PC? Was that an unsubstantiated rumor? I think PC versions (not ports) of Final Fantasy games would be great. Admittedly, I've only liked two recent (post-IX) Final Fantasy games, and those were the sequels of games I didn't like (FFX-2 and FFXIII-2), so they'd need to start making Final Fantasy better before I get excited about this. I like being able to explore a wide, open world, not get stuck in one long pathway. We'll see how FFXV turns out with its Action play-style.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: