Square Enix says it remastered Chrono Cross so it wouldn't become an "unplayable" game

During an interview with Square Enix, producer Koichiro Sakamoto revealed that the recent Chrono Cross: The Radical Dreamers remaster wasn't just created to celebrate the original game's 20th anniversary, but to also ensure that Chrono Cross would remain playable for fans. Sakamoto stated that as a PlayStation 1 disc, Chrono Cross was available on the PS2 and PS3 through backwards compatibility, but there were fears from Square Enix that with the lack of PS1 support on the PlayStation 4, the game would become "unplayable" entirely.

Back when the project was launched, Chrono Cross was possibly going to become unplayable. There was a Game Archive service on PlayStation 3 that allowed you to play PlayStation 1 games. But PlayStation 4 was already on the market. We didn't know at the time if PlayStation 4 would also have a Game Archive service. It looked like Chrono Cross could become unplayable. So, a remaster project was set up. That's the backstory.

Ironically, Chrono Cross's remaster was rife with bugs and framerate inconsistencies, making the game quite unplayable for some on the PS4. Only just recently did the game get a patch that promised to fix many of the issues players had with the remaster at launch.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One game that needs work is tales of tales of symphonia remastered adding the gamecube opening and make it more like the gamecube version.

Soundtoxin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost every nes and snes game was 60 fps. The beginning of the 3d era was a compromise, I actually had a really hard time playing console games until we started getting 60 fps in 3d games. So I couldn’t play goldeneye, ocarina of time and many games with low fps. Turn based rpgs I could manage though. Many people are less sensitive to frame rate compared to me, but I couldn’t enjoy something that ran at 20 fps or less, or even the trend during the 360 era of games running between 15-30 fps. As much as we talk poorly about call of duty now, I’m so glad they made their games run at 60 fps and eventually helped stop the trend of games that run like garbage.

Back then I didn’t know what was wrong with games, i thought maybe it was just me. But goldeneye for example would make me feel dizzy and I couldn’t even play the game.

The weird thing is that tons of ps2 games ran at 60 fps, but the ps3/360 gen regressed badly. The ps4 gen was at the very least a solid 30, and many 60 fps games. This gen, if people don’t have the option for 60 fps they get upset.

Just for a fun fact above. Which of these consoles did the best by the way? Why did so many people switch to pc at the end of the ps3 gen?

I'd like to see this talked about more. I think the game studios are chasing pretty graphics too much and normalizing garbage performance. Before we get 4k, HDR, and so on, I think we should be getting more games that just run well in the first place. They set the bar too low in that area.

Reactions: The3DSWannabeBoozer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel