'Star Wars Battlefront II' To Ditch Its Pay-To-Win System

ea sw battlefront ii.JPG

Following the massive disaster around the title's pay-to-win system, it seems like EA is trying to redeem itself by righting the wrong.

In a blog post today, EA has announced a complete makeover of Star Wars Battlefront II via a Progression Update that will remove Star Cards for purchase, paid loot boxes and add a linear progression system.

Here are the main features of this massive update:
  • With this update, progression is now linear.
Star Cards, or any other item impacting gameplay, will only be earned through gameplay and will not be available for purchase. Instead, you’ll earn experience points for the classes, hero characters, and ships that you choose to play in multiplayer. If you earn enough experience points to gain a level for that unit, you'll receive one Skill Point that can be used to unlock or upgrade the eligible Star Card you'd like to equip.​
  • You'll keep everything you’ve already earned and unlocked.
You will keep all of the Star Cards, heroes, weapons, or anything else you have already earned. What you have earned will still be available to use with this update regardless of how much or little progress you have already made.​
  • Crates no longer include Star Cards and cannot be purchased.
Crates are earned by logging in daily, completing Milestones, and through timed challenges. Inside of these crates, you'll find Credits or cosmetic items, such as emotes or victory poses, but nothing that impacts gameplay.​
  • Starting in April, you’ll be able to get appearances directly through in-game Credits or Crystals.
The first new appearances are coming soon, meaning you'll be able to grab new looks for your heroes and troopers directly by using either Credits (earned in-game) or Crystals (available to purchase in-game and through first-party stores). If you’ve ever dreamed of being a part of the Resistance as a Rodian, your chance is right around the corner.​

The post also reads that a number of modes will be added to Star Wars Battlefront II in the coming months, offering several standout, brand-new ways to play.

The Star Wars Battlefront II Progression update, which includes a complete re-design of the in-game progression system, will begin rolling out on March 21st, with more content rolling out in the following weeks.

Will this literal game-changing update change your view on the game and have you consider picking up the game?

:arrow: SOURCE

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm still not planning to pick up this game, but if battlefront 3 has this same progression system, i might be willing to forgive ea. hopefully they'll learn from they're mistakes and implement this system into more of their games

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
The sad part is that DICE is an excellent game studio and they make excellent first person shooters. I really want to like Battlefront 2, but my trust is already shattered and there's no way I'm buying it. It's sad that EA consistenly stifles a company who in my opinion is the best in its class. I can only hope Battlefield 5 comes out relatively unscathed.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The sad part is that DICE is an excellent game studio and they make excellent first person shooters. I really want to like Battlefront 2, but my trust is already shattered and there's no way I'm buying it. It's sad that EA consistenly stifles a company who in my opinion is the best in its class. I can only hope Battlefield 5 comes out relatively unscathed.
It's EA. They *will* manage to fuck it up somehow.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
It's EA. They *will* manage to fuck it up somehow.
Which saddens me to no end :(

I love Battlefield, best FPS series out there imo, and I'm not holding my breath for Battlefield 5. Still, if it turns out good and not p2w cancer, I'll still buy it, although reluctantly because it's EA.

#FreeDICE

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Which saddens me to no end :(

I love Battlefield, best FPS series out there imo, and I'm not holding my breath for Battlefield 5. Still, if it turns out good and not p2w cancer, I'll still buy it, although reluctantly because it's EA.

#FreeDICE
I don't plan on buying any EA games for quite a while. I fucked up hard enough by paying 70€ for the empty game that was Battlefront...

Reactions: nWo and fedehda

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disney has too much power! :ninja:

EA made a number of revisions to the Star Crate approach prior to launch, such as by reducing the cost of the special characters by 75%, but a large portion of the players still were critical of the overall "pay to win" nature. Just prior to the game's planned launch in November 2017, Disney (who owned the rights to Star Wars) contacted EA over the situation, leading to EA to disable any of the microtransaction processes indefinitely until they could work out a solution. While the game was not poorly received by game reviewers, the negative perception of the game by the player base troubled EA's stockholders, and within a week, EA's stock market value dropped by US$3 billion, attributed to the Battlefront II loot box controversy. In its Q4 2017 quarterly financials, EA stated that Battlefront II had missed their sales expectation by at least 10%, which EA's CEO Blake Jorgensen attributed to the player base reaction to how EA had implemented and handled the loot box issue.By March 2018, EA introduced a revised microtransaction approach that removed the pay-to-win elements from Star Crates, which otherwise would now only give cosmetic elements or in-game currency; the gameplay-affection elements were made part of a linear player experience systems. The reaction to Battlefront II's loot crates also led to a number of worldwide government responses in late 2017 and early 2018 to evaluate whether loot box mechanics in video games were a form of gambling, and thus would require them to regulate their sale within their countries, particularly to minors, as well as having the ESRB adjust its rating system to clearly indicate the presence of any in-game transaction, including loot boxes, within a game.

SimonMKWii

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This game isn't even worth my time or bandwidth to pirate, let alone my money...

Can't wait for Battlefront 3, an apology for 1 and 2.
Deluxe Gold Edition: comes bundled with a credit card reader attachment for your controller, which enables instant and easy microtransaction, loot box and DLC purchases!

P.S. DISNEY, PULL THE DAMN STAR WARS RIGHTS AWAY FROM EA RIGHT NOW!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My gaming stick can finally get use
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did see Walmart got new electric scooters now ab won't run out of juice in the middle of the parking lot
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:O:O $12. Cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but one two ports
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather spend like $15 more for double
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol hogwarts legacy has a Arachnophobia setting to turn on
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd rather spend like $150 more for a surround receiver.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bought the game at launch never fucked with it until recently
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its fun, I like it, even tho I'm not a big harry potter fan. Like a wizard rpg. Flying around on a broomstick is cool.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Flying sucks ass on it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh just takes a min to get used to. I think you can upgrade or buy new broomstick also that are better.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I weirdly like inverted controls on all flying type games
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob can change it, inverted flying controls.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only thing that annoys me is trying to find wtf to do in it
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Alright off to the store, later gators.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some places amaze me were not in network with your insurance would you still like an appointment
    +1
    uhhh, I think I'll just stick with my PSP 3001
    lol, Now I gotta go to the store for more Coffee Mate n other stuff.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i downloaded final fantasy vii into my tv stick
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i mean, the game was already there but its the japanese version
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and i only downloaded disc 1 so far bc of storage stuff