Star Wars: Dark Forces reverse engineered "Force Engine" v1.0 released

1671561035085.png

Star Wars: Dark Forces is a somewhat obscure, but deeply beloved DOS game in the Star Wars franchise released back in 1997, set in the timeline just before the events of Episode IV: A New Hope, and detailed the events of the then canon stolen plans of the Death Star in the hands of rebel Kyle Katarn, before Disney acquired the rights and ditched the story as "Legends" material to make room for their Rogue One movie prequel.

The game takes into a 1st Person Shooter perspective, utilizing the innovative Jedi Engine developed by LucasArts, with some familiarity to FPS games of the time, like Doom and Duke Nukem, and featured cutscenes and voice overs. Since its release, the only possible ways to play this game were either through DOS, DosBox (which is what the current digital stores use when you purchase it) or its limited release on the PlayStation, but thanks to the effort of some passionate developers, Dark Forces can now be played with modern standards, with widescreen, high resolution and many other improvements.

The list of features for the current v1.0 release as listed by the developers:
  • Full Dark Forces support, including mods. Outlaws support is coming in version 2.0.
  • Mod Loader - simply place your mods in the Mods/ directory as zip files or directories.
  • High Resolution and Widescreen support - when using 320x200 you get the original software renderer. TFE also includes a floating-point software renderer which supports widescreen, including ultrawide, and much higher resolutions.
  • GPU Renderer with perspective correct pitch - play at much higher resolutions with improved performance.
  • Extended Limits - TFE, by default, will support much higher limits than the original game which removes most of the HOM (Hall of Mirrors) issues in advanced mods.
  • Full input binding, mouse sensitivity adjustment, and controller support. Note, however, that menus currently require the mouse.
  • Optional Quality of Life improvements, such as full mouselook, aiming reticle, improved Boba Fett AI, autorun, and more.
  • A new save system that works seamlessly with the existing checkpoint and lives system. You can ignore it entirely, use it just as an exit save so you don’t have to play long user levels in one sitting, or full save and load with quicksaves like Doom or Duke Nukem 3D.
  • Optional and quality of life features, even mouselook, can be disabled if you want the original experience. Play in 320x200, turn the mouse mode (Input menu) to Menus only or horizontal, and enable the Classic (software) renderer - and it will look and play just like DOS, but with a higher framerate and without needing to adjust cycles in DosBox.
The developers are still hard at work on the engine, and have teased even more features for the upcoming 2.0 version, like support for its sister game in the same Jedi engine, "Outlaws". People interesting in playing Dark Forces with the Force Engine can checkout the official site of the engine on GitHub pages.

:arrow: Source

mrcroket

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It needs perspective correction? I always thought that dark forces unlike doom had a real 3d world but with sprite enemies. Because it have rooms on top of each other. Also some 3d models like the ship.

Reactions: impeeza

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Used to emulate the PS1 version which isn't at all ideal.

This is amazing work. And the kind of thing DF needs to be really recognised for how good it is. Kinda like how Doom 64 went under the radar for so long until Doom 64 EX and the official Nightdive ports.
Post automatically merged:

It needs perspective correction? I always thought that dark forces unlike doom had a real 3d world but with sprite enemies. Because it have rooms on top of each other. Also some 3d models like the ship.
It did that thing in old first person games where it distorts when you look up and down. But the GPU renderer handles it like a true 3D game would.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Obscure? It's the first game in the Kyle Katarn saga, how is it obscure?

It's overshadowed by Doom and Duke Nukem in popularity, and the fact that the levels tend to get very maze-y with weird objectives doesn't make it as accessible as the others.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, hopefully someone will port it to DS (or at least DSi)! After Doom, Descent, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Duke3D, it is the only old DOS FPS game not yet ported to DS. Maybe it will once again be our brilliant @elhobbs who will do it? I sincerely hope so. In the meantime, I'll take the opportunity to say hello and remember the gratitude we all have toward him. :)

brunocar

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
having played this on the older source port, man, am i glad that this happened, this game really needed some help on modern PCs

Wow, hopefully someone will port it to DS (or at least DSi)! After Doom, Descent, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Duke3D, it is the only old DOS FPS game not yet ported to DS. Maybe it will once again be our brilliant @elhobbs who will do it? I sincerely hope so. In the meantime, I'll take the opportunity to say hello and remember the gratitude we all have toward him. :)
im gonna take a wild guess that if quake barely runs by pure miracle on DS, the best you can possibly hope for is this game running on DSi.

Reactions: eduall and Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
...the best you can possibly hope for is this game running on DSi.
Sure, that would be fine. 😉 If we could then also load the available user maps/mods that would be perfect. Playing it on SD-slot of DSi on low resolution 320x240 (or similar) graphics, with 11.025 Hz of sound, maybe no BGM (as if running on an old 386 pc with dos/win95 installed) would be an absolute and unmatched delight. 🤩

eduall

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
having played this on the older source port, man, am i glad that this happened, this game really needed some help on modern PCs

im gonna take a wild guess that if quake barely runs by pure miracle on DS, the best you can possibly hope for is this game running on DSi.
no one is going to do that anymore cuz dsi is dead.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad a project finally managed to drag itself across the finish line. Saw several try and fumble over the years.

Hopefully we can get some nice mods, modernisations, tweaks and such like with this.

Others playing along at home might wish to note of all the "doom clone" engines then this is probably the most advanced* with several features missing in others barring whatever has been done in the open source or throwback world since. Certainly why you never really saw the game backported/remade for the other engines like we saw things that were not otherwise open sourced ported across.

*redneck rampage being of the few things that might pose a challenge but also not and some very blurry lines at that point as well.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad a project finally managed to drag itself across the finish line. Saw several try and fumble over the years.

Hopefully we can get some nice mods, modernisations, tweaks and such like with this.

Others playing along at home might wish to note of all the "doom clone" engines then this is probably the most advanced* with several features missing in others barring whatever has been done in the open source or throwback world since. Certainly why you never really saw the game backported/remade for the other engines like we saw things that were not otherwise open sourced ported across.

*redneck rampage being of the few things that might pose a challenge but also not and some very blurry lines at that point as well.
I bet somebody is gonna port this over to everything, the same way as to what happened with DOOM.

Reactions: Nikokaro

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol “somewhat obscure”.

I played this (the original, no mods) earlier this year for the first time in earnest, but could only get slightly farther than I did as a kid. Still worth a go for a few stages, especially with this great revamp!!

Reactions: SylverReZ

nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn. I played this on Playstation back in the day. THIS IS THE REAL STORY of how the rebels got the Death Star plans, how the Darktroopers where put into motion secretly and more importantly how even Boba Fett and Jabba the Hutt where involved on stopping Kyle Katarn.

It is an AWESOME story and a regular game.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll be honest, I didn't think Lucius would ever finish the task.
I had been following his progress on DaggerXL about 15 years ago, saw the Dark Forces project born and almost die.
I've played 3 levels this afternoon, it's a great job, congrats and thanks to him, I'm very impressed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chopped down some wood for the scout master
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Big Gay Al was our Scout leader.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I was actually in the scouts for 1 week, til they assigned me homework, n I was like f this, and quit, I was like 10 yrs old. And no I didn't join the girl Scouts.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was the homework about getting to know the scout leaders
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to memorize how to tell 15 different trees species, I think, been awhile. But yea it was about knowing Wood.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could've just wrote down firewood
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It was lame. Like the goal was to earn badges/patches to wear on your uniform. Stupid.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Scooby doo was the only thing that made the scouts seem cool back then
    Hmmm for me it was Golden Eye or Tribes on PC can't remember which was first.
    Next on MXC Choir Boys VS Boy Scouts!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That would be funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think I'd prefer to be a boy scout you go in a alter boy you leave with demons
    +1
    Ken someone needs to make Scooby Doo and Zoo School lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Scooby doo and the alter scout
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Scooby doo and the alter scout