"Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" gets a fan remake recreation made in Unreal Engine.

Once again, dedicated fans delve into a galaxy far, far away, to bring back that thrill and fun that they had with some of the old media that the franchise got before the dark times, before the (Disney) Empire.

Some time ago, a group of dedicated fans and developers released the "Force Engine", a reverse engineered project to recreate the engine of the original "Star Wars: Dark Forces" game, which allows it to be played with modern standards of control mapping, higher resolutions and bunch of other QoL changes, much like Doom and/or Quake had in the last couple decades since the source code for those games was shared to the public.

Now, a user by the name of Ruppertle has taken the mantle to give the sequel "Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II" a much needed makeover with its v1.0 release of a remake of the game made from scratch in Unreal Engine. This recreation comes with fully remade 3D models for the characters, and a revamp of the level design thanks to what Unreal Engine offers, as well as some visual flare and details taken from the actual depictions of the planets, cities and settings from the Star Wars franchise.

The remake offers a couple of levels from the original game for this initial reveal, as well as some extra modes for players to enjoy.
Those interested in the fan remake can get it from Ruppertle's Discord server or through his Patreon.

Ruppertle said:
Welcome to my first Unreal Engine project. The goal was to recreate one of my favorite games back from my childhood while keeping the base look, feeling and gameplay and of course learning the engine itself.

After nearly 3 years of development the project is finally at a point where I feel ready to share it with you.

Original game by LucasArts from 1997
Version 1.0 comes with:
  • 2 official levels from the original game
  • 4 Survival levels
  • Sandbox mode
  • 3D model viewer
  • Bonus level for testing
  • Some secrets...

:arrow: Ruppertle's Discord Server
:arrow: Ruppertle's Patreon

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well this all seems legit as it doesn't use any Star Wars characters, settings, sound effects or music. Disney definitely won't DCMA this in a hurry.

I do love the old Dark Forces games but I fear this isn't going to last, even as a free game. Also, paying someone through patreon to make it seems like it's being sold...

Reactions: Acetonide

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is a remake due to the game being recreated in an entirely new (and better) engine altogether, if it were a remaster it'd still use the original engine/source code but with better assets.
it would be a remake even on the same engine, every asset is brand new basically they recreated the entire levels with new 3d models, not sure what he sees there to call it a remaster...

Reactions: SavageNoble

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
it would be a remake even on the same engine, every asset is brand new basically they recreated the entire levels with new 3d models, not sure what he sees there to call it a remaster...

A remaster still uses the same source code of the game but with new redone assets, a remake is a full on new source code or engine, which this is.

Reactions: osaka35

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Metroid Prime Remastered are still remasters despite using completely new assets because they're still based on the original code.

MaskedRed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played the original but it looks really cool, I wonder how far is this person going to go with his remake or if this is it?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Metroid Prime Remastered are still remasters despite using completely new assets because they're still based on the original code.
well retro studios has been using the same engine and updating it for 20 years, they call it the rude engine, so for that logic no games retro studios will make will ever be remakes even if they change everything because its on the "same" engine.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm thinking about getting a 1tb SD card and booting batocera just for pc emulation
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See some new 830gb builds that should work on the cheaper ones
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    For your steam deck ken?
    If just for PC I would recommend an external hard drive like 2 TB and just build your own bootable drive
    Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it yourself.... Almost all the builds I tried just sucked
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but why not just have a img file mounted through us you can still transfer through windows
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Usb*
    Yeah Batocera has a shared folder it's pretty cool
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Less clutter for all the 6 usb options we never use
    Just drag and drop your Barbie Roms
    Barbies BDSM Dungeon Adventure Featuring Gimp Ken!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's the Florida meth
    Don't make Barbie put a cigarette out on your nipples!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Although expensive Florida meth can rot the brightest of minds
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol qbits almost taking a
    full gb of ram usage
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, qbittorrent?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    no I dont torrent
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: